salary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith130077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any idea waht is the average salary of a gi doc is and average working hours per week ?

Members don't see this ad.

Curious about this as well.

Depends.. but anywhere between one million to two million dollars.. depends mostly on your enthusiasm

Members don't see this ad :)
any one can give the acurate figures please?

highly dependent on location and practice structure...academics lower. can be anywhere from 200 range up to past 500. Get more in less desirable locations. Medscape has a nice graph on physician reimbursements across different specialties. check it out.

N=1, a friend of mine is starting to interview for positions. He interviewed in Minn and was offered 500k to start for q5 call. Sounds like starting ranges from 300-500k, depending on location.

I know this is the question everyone hates answering on every SDN thread. From an income perspective, everyone in medicine will suffer to some degree, although no one can predict by how much.

I'm less curious in how much GI docs make, and actually more curious about the percentage breakdown of a private practice GI doc's salary. What percentage of their salary comes from screening colonoscopies? If (when?) reimbursement drops or when USPSTF guidelines change and don't recommend colonoscopies until 60 or something, how much of a hit will GI docs salary take?

I was thinking 30-40%, but that's based on nothing but perception (I'm an MS4, so I admittedly have little understanding of what goes on past residency). Again, while you can't predict how any specialty will reimburse in a decade or two, you can only really identify the ones that have a significant dependence on one aspect of their practice. In my uneducated opinion (only in medicine can you have done 7 years of training at top schools and still truly be 'uneducated'!), this list might include GI with colonoscopies, Urology with prostates, Rad Onc with radiation, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. GI is just about the only specialty I can think of in Internal Medicine that would make me happy, so I plan on pursuing it regardless of income changes - but it's still something I'd like to be educated about.

highly dependent on location and practice structure...academics lower. can be anywhere from 200 range up to past 500. Get more in less desirable locations. Medscape has a nice graph on physician reimbursements across different specialties. check it out.

It depends on location really. My friends where I am are leaving to go South where the money is better. Where I am the starting is I think $200 to 250 max. The specialty I am entering is about the same as GI maybe a little higher.

Location, location, location.

Last edited:
Starting GI probably makes between $250 low end and $500 upper end for a non-academic position. The important thing is income potential. Some jobs that start at $250K can end up making you 7-figures easy, and others that start at $500K top out at $500K as well.

Screening colonoscopy will provide the vast percentage of your income. My estimate is probably at least 70% if not more. The day screening colonoscopy is no longer reimbursed is the day GI will die as a specialty. That being said, the data in favor of screening is stronger and stronger every passing year, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ownership in a busy endoscopy center can get you close to 2 mill if you have the right payor mix and good business sense. But at some point, I think you begin to compromise quality, as it becomes much more about quantity at that point.

Basically, if you work very hard in private practice, are a pleasant person to deal with, and are respectful and caring to your patients, you will be rewarded financially. I would be very surprised if you are not making at least $500K with this trifecta.