Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med4ever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been searching around and it seems that the salary for urology is starting at around the 300000. Any one have any good websites or knows if this is accurate, honestly it seems a little on the low side. Word on the street is urologist are in the 600 000 dollar club. Have I been hanging out on the wrong street?

Members don't see this ad.

Med4ever said:
I have been searching around and it seems that the salary for urology is starting at around the 300000. Any one have any good websites or knows if this is accurate, honestly it seems a little on the low side. Word on the street is urologist are in the 600 000 dollar club. Have I been hanging out on the wrong street?

Salary largely depends upon where you practice. I know of one chief resident who went up to western PA to practice. He started around 150k.

I've heard of other chief residents in St. Louis being offered 200k starting.

Finally I've heard of some getting offers of 300k, plus signing bonus, loan repayment, and moving stipend.

Not sure if 600K is typicall. I guess it depends on where you work and how good you are at billing. Generally, it comes down to doing things which reimburse well for your time. Infertility as a subspecialty comes to mind as a good paying field because many patients are paying out of pocket for your help.

Med4ever said:

Med4ever - I think you've been hanging out on the wrong street.

When I came out of fellowship in 2003 the average starting salary in major metropolitan areas in the northeast was 100k - 150K. Today (2005) that range may be more like 120K - 170K. After years in practice a urologist can eventuallly make up to 400 - 500K with the average in the country for 2004 being 330k (check the merrit hawkins website).

The higher starting salaries you hear about are generally seen in the rural areas of the country.

Pheo