salary of Pharmacy tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That doesn't add up. Well ok Check my math maybe I'm off:

You said she makes $50/hr

$50/ hr * 8 hr/ day = $400 / day
$400/day * 5 days / week = $2000/ week
$2000/week * 4 weeks/ month = $8,000 / month (as opposed to $3500/ month).

And just for kicks: $8,000 / month * 12 months / year = $96,000 / year

And that assumes no weekends, no overtime, nothing going on on the side, no stocks, etc.

I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, but something about the numbers just doesn't add up (literally).

Um, you missed the part about taxes, IRA deductions and stock options. So $3500 sounds about right, although most people would forgo the stock options, so $4500 would be more typical. Taxes are a bitch if you're single with no kids. I can easily rent a one-bedroom in a good neighborhood to a homeless person and pay for his health care with my taxes.

And you have a real knack for reviving dead threads.

Members don't see this ad.

Taken from some other thread I wrote in:

A 26yo RPh presents with a $10k signing bonus from a retail chain which will pay $54/hr and will guarantee 40 hours/week and full benefits next month. The chain has a 401k match of 1:1 (up to 6% of salary) which vests after 1y. The signing bonus is revocable with interest if the RPh leaves before the year is up.

Income:
$6k -- take home pay (estimated 70% of gross if you're wondering)
--> deductions included are: all pertinent taxes, 6% to 401k, medical/dental/vision.

Assets:
$500 in a high yield savings account
$2000 in a Roth IRA
$2500 in a 401k from a previous employer, currently in a targeted retirement fund.
TOTAL: $5k

Liabilities:
$85k in federal student loans @ 6.8%
$8k in credit card debt @ 12.99%
$4k in credit card debt @ 18.99%
$15k car loan balance @ 3.99% (48mo term, 36 to go)
TOTAL: ($112k)

Monthly expenses:
$450 -- car loan
$250 -- credit card payments (minimum)
**student loans in grace period**
$1000 -- apartment rent (shared with friend)
$800 -- food, gas, entertainment
TOTAL: $2500/mo

This will leave you about $3500 play money, that's pretty darn good. Go buy a nice steak dinner ($200) and throw $3200 into your high yield savings account (target should be $15,000, which is 6 months of expenses).

Reactions: 1 user
Kinda funny a year and a half later seeing somebody brag about California. It was going downhill, now it's broke as a joke :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda funny a year and a half later seeing somebody brag about California. It was going downhill, now it's broke as a joke :D

Its always going to be the best place to live at though. :love: I mean how can any city complete against San Fransciso?

again, living in an expensive city would almost certainly necessitate one with a high income job, and the truth of the matter is that these high income jobs, even rph jobs, are only in finite amounts

Its always going to be the best place to live at though. :love: I mean how can any city complete against San Fransciso?

Manner of opinion.

I've moved from Phoenix to the Midwest (outside of KC). Cost of living is like night and day. In Phoenix, your making mortgage payments, in KC, buy the same house outright. It rocks:thumbup:

Manner of opinion.

I've moved from Phoenix to the Midwest (outside of KC). Cost of living is like night and day. In Phoenix, your making mortgage payments, in KC, buy the same house outright. It rocks:thumbup:

yeah the midwest is always gonna be the best place to live. plenty of open space. ability to have land and do outdoor things, grow your own food, own your house and land, not have to pay for private schools, less traffic, friendlier people and more laid back lifestyle.

haha, i still brag about CA...the reasons why i like it are beyond the scope of any budget problem/tax policy/etc... sure beats this dirty ass city I'm in now.

Manner of opinion.

home ownership is overrated...and i mean, you're living in the midwest, c'mon. there's like...tornadoes and an over abundance of farms. then again, i feel strange not being close to an ocean...freaks me out.

given the price collapse in CA, it's an even better deal now (continuation of my reply above).

haha, i still brag about CA...the reasons why i like it are beyond the scope of any budget problem/tax policy/etc... sure beats this dirty ass city I'm in now.

yeah I have never understood the argument about CA's bureaucratic mess being a reason not to move to CA.

Manner of opinion.

Pharmacist's salary in the Midwest the SAME as everywhere else?

as much or higher in my anecdotal experience.

I know several people who got 30k bonuses in metro areas in WI last spring.

But this is for retail only. There are definitely some low hospital salaries out there.

Members don't see this ad :)

You live in the ghetto......

And you have a real knack for reviving dead threads.

Well if I start a new thread about the topics I want to know about I get yelled at for not using the search function. When I use the search function and have further questions I get yelled at for reviving an old thread. I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Well if I start a new thread about the topics I want to know about I get yelled at for not using the search function. When I use the search function and have further questions I get yelled at for reviving an old thread. I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't.
That's your excuse? With all the necro threads you've revived, you did not revive them to ask any question. You simply revived them to respond to a 2-yr-old comment. There is a reason the threads are 2 years old.

All a matter of taste, the idea of living in SF makes me want to vomit, but that's just me.

Troll, you are just getting lazy now

1. Paki culture you wouldn't get a divorce, when you husband (i forget what does he do? how much does he make?) cheats on you with the numerous other females in his profession (you still haven't responded to my statements on the other troll thread you started), you just have to say "yes Sir (Master?), i will try harder to please you Sir" you don't have to worry about living on single income because you aren't allowed to get a divorce.

2. Paki culture you aren't allowed to say the word "god"

When trolling at least TRY to get your character right, it makes it more fun for the rest of us.

with All your bitterness, I'm wondering, did you not onlly get turned down for pharmacy school interviews but did they literally laugh at you while doing so?

Wow..you don't know anything about Pakistani culture. I have plenty of Pakistani friends and that is certainly not the case. If you disagreed/disliked the original poster that is fine, no excuse to take it out on a culture by spreading false information.

Pretty much. I took a slight paycut, of course I'm working at a hospital now, and all dayshifts M-F 9-5:30. I was working overnights at Walgreens, slight paycut, but a step up no doubt :thumbup:

BTW, for all those folks that say there are no bonuses, I signed one for 20K today, will go nice with my WAG severance :D

I'm in MO by the way.

Pretty much. I took a slight paycut, of course I'm working at a hospital now, and all dayshifts M-F 9-5:30. I was working overnights at Walgreens, slight paycut, but a step up no doubt :thumbup:

BTW, for all those folks that say there are no bonuses, I signed one for 20K today, will go nice with my WAG severance :D

I'm in MO by the way.
Go Show-Me state! I went to undergrad in MO, and I don't understand why the midwest gets such a bad rap. I would actually consider living in the midwest (if I had the chance, of course).

That doesn't add up. Well ok Check my math maybe I'm off:

You said she makes $50/hr

$50/ hr * 8 hr/ day = $400 / day
$400/day * 5 days / week = $2000/ week
$2000/week * 4 weeks/ month = $8,000 / month (as opposed to $3500/ month).

And just for kicks: $8,000 / month * 12 months / year = $96,000 / year

And that assumes no weekends, no overtime, nothing going on on the side, no stocks, etc.

I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, but something about the numbers just doesn't add up (literally).

Calculation is erroneous.... some months have 5 weeks. Since we know for sure a year has 52 weeks, the best way to do the math is to multiply 52x2000= 104, 000 $

Calculation is erroneous.... some months have 5 weeks. Since we know for sure a year has 52 weeks, the best way to do the math is to multiply 52x2000= 104, 000 $

Well, if you want to get technical, there are 52.142 weeks in a 365 day year....52.285 in a 366 day year.

I love HGTV! They say Florida is 20 years behind California in the housing market....so it will probably only get worse once the housing market rebounds.

You can still get reasonably priced homes here, it just depends on the city. I've never lived in South Florida, but many of my friends do and they have a very high cost of living. Other parts of Florida may still be pricey in some areas but are not near as high as South Beach, etc.

I think it is really all about budgeting. You could skimp on the 401k and stocks and have a whole lot more money to spend, but where does that leave you when you retire? If you can't afford to save money to retire how are you even going to be able to afford to retire?

Just my 2 cents most people putting money into their 401k's are gambling, not necessarily saving money for retirement.

Just my 2 cents most people putting money into their 401k's are gambling, not necessarily saving money for retirement.

Not enough info to make a determination, you don't know whether they're loaded up in junk, corp. bonds, small-cap, etc...

By not putting money in a 401k w/ match, you're throwing away money. If you'
re concerned about risk, park it in a cash reserves acct. and take the match.

I was having a conversation with my cousing who is a recent grad of pharmacy school and i was asking her about paychecks. she said she make only 3500 an month. is this possible?? i thought i would be making that much part time. that is the same as an accountant makes.
here is the breakdown
she works 40 hours a week and make 50 dollars and hour
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options. i can't believe she only makes less than 40 grand aftter its all said an done. i mean i dont understand all u can really afford is like a 350,000 condo at best, i guess i thought it was closer to 80,000 after taxes. my husband works and makes great money, but i was always under the impression that i should go to schooil and have something to fall back on incase things dont work out with my marriage (god forbid) but this is not a job to fall back on. we currently have a beautiful home and i drive a luxury car, but thats just because my husbands salary is so high, i would never be able to have this life style if i was single. thats scary :confused:

A pharmacist who agrees to work for 40,000 a year deserves everything he gets, but I doubt you'd be able to find one.

I think it's pointless to be jealous of someone who is bragging about their SPOUSES occupation. If you marry for money what are you going to do if that person decides to leave you or worse, make your life miserable? Put up with it because you don't want to take a blow to your standard of living? Not saying this is always the case, or even the majority, but I've seen it happen enough.

IMO it's always best to be self sufficient... the freedom to KNOW you can take care of yourself is worth more than having a little extra money to burn. I've seen a lot of people in miserable relationships because they relied on their partner to take care of their needs.

Just a thought. = )

On a lighter note... the Midwest isn't THAT bad. I used to be die hard Florida/California/Anywhere sunny and expensive... but after living in the Florida Keys, Miami, and Ft Lauderdale for 22 years... the nice cold weather, changing seasons, and low cost of living doesn't seem so bad.

Maybe I'm delusional because I'm sitting in 99 degree heat index... but I LOVE freezing weather. I got strange looks at the Price Chopper in Kansas City wearing gym shorts and a t shirt in 20 degree weather.

I think that things really come into perspective when you actually have to start working and paying those high bills.

In south Florida, for example, rent will run you anywhere from 900-1100 a month for a decent one bedroom, nothing fancy but livable and safe. Electric for that same apartment is between 80-180 depending on how cold you need it, the season, and how many people live with you. Water is about 30-50 a month. Cable and internet about 100. That's about 1300 give or take in basic bills alone. Not including 100-200 a month in gas (and that's not really going anywhere), 200-400 a month in food, + other basic needs.

Unless you are independently wealthy as a grad student, you are either busting *** every waking moment at a job just to pay your bills and have nothing left over, or begging your parents for help. I had to do both.

I could def. make it work down here on a pharmacist salary, esp. retail, but I would not be buying a mansion and driving a 100k car like some people are dreaming of. Personally, I LIKE living in a condo and driving my car I have now... so I'd probably be able to stay here and live conservatively, but if I wanted to afford bigger things then living somewhere else wouldn't be so bad I guess.