Salary Increase Request- Best Approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working for the same hospital and under the same manager for almost a year; first job after school.

In short, I would like to be compensated extra on top of my base pay for being bilingual (Spanish) and using my language continuously when interacting with patients/families. I am certified as an advanced clinical interpreter through this same hospital; basically the same certification hired interpreters have.

I could simply call an interpreter when dealing with this patient population and I have in the past, but I have found that the outcomes are better when I’m communicating with the patients directly than using an interpreter. I don’t mind doing this, I actually enjoy it, but I feel that I would like to be compensated for this some how.

There is a form I can fill out every time I translate that states that for every 15 minutes of translation I will be compensated 50 cents; this is too much work as I have to include a summary of the interaction and patient information.

I need assistance and advice on how to approach my manager or my managers director.

Advice and guidance are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working for the same hospital and under the same manager for almost a year; first job after school.

In short, I would like to be compensated extra on top of my base pay for being bilingual (Spanish) and using my language continuously when interacting with patients/families. I am certified as an advanced clinical interpreter through this same hospital; basically the same certification hired interpreters have.

I could simply call an interpreter when dealing with this patient population and I have in the past, but I have found that the outcomes are better when I’m communicating with the patients directly than using an interpreter. I don’t mind doing this, I actually enjoy it, but I feel that I would like to be compensated for this some how.

There is a form I can fill out every time I translate that states that for every 15 minutes of translation I will be compensated 50 cents; this is too much work as I have to include a summary of the interaction and patient information.

I need assistance and advice on how to approach my manager or my managers director.

Advice and guidance are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Easy: first as objectively as possible determine the value of your service and thereby demonstrate how much money you are saving. This is usually easier said then done because “value” is subjective and usually difficult to determine with a specific value. In this case it’s simple ... find out how much interpreter service cost (I have no idea where they got $0.50/15 minutes or literally $2/hr!?!? I’ve paid $1.25/MINUTE before for non-Spanish interpreters over a two way phone system and well over $25/hr for an in person Spanish interpreter). I assume if you live in Texas or something it’s less but it’s obviously over $2/hr.

Anyway, figure out how much interpreters make and ask for a fraction of that added on to your pay using the argument that you are saving your employer a lot of money by doing both jobs.

PS: I’m a physician who has worked in many setting but no idea how I got to you thread (must have mis clicked but felt compelled to answer). Good luck!

One way to look at your Spanish speaking ability is that it has the effect of making your own life immensely easier, and doesn't just simply benefit your employer. You end up having to treat whomever the patient is that comes through the door. You could dig in your heels and utilize a translator, but we all know how well that fosters communication. It means you are in a room almost twice as long, and your overall production decreases, which is your bread and butter. Your facility probably purchases translation services in bulk like a commodity, and there likely is no way to really get a good handle on how much money you are saving by foregoing a translator. Another way to look at the situation is that your employer may have already rewarded you for your bilingual ability by hiring you over someone else.

I hear you about bringing more skills to the table and wanting to be rewarded for it, but I think their perspective will be that it all evens out. They may not entertain any negotiation on the subject, but if they do, that might mean you can negotiate on something else that is even more valuable. You might be better served by pushing for increase in pay for increased production. That's an end run around trying to get paid more for speaking Spanish, because you'll be cruising through patients faster than folks like me that would need a translator right there. The only downside is if they try to funnel Spanish speakers to you and the English speakers to the non bilingual folks, but even there, I think you'd be positioned well to argue that is an unfair burden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply and guidance; I highly appreciate it.

I found out how much the interpreters that work for my hospital make per hour. They start at $17/hr for someone with 1 year experience. I have been an advanced clinical interpreter for my hospital district since I started working here 6 years ago; same certification these interpreters gave.

I guess my approach should be that rather than waiting for an interpreter I can get to it and this will increase patient flow/productivity as well as better patient outcomes because of the one to one communication rather than using an interpreter.

I am just somewhat nervous to approach my manager or director and really need your input to make it flow nicely and not mess it up lol.

Thanks in advance again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So ultimately, what you are asking them for is a raise, pure and simple. I think you need to have a shift in your mindset away from simply citing your specific language skill. That's small potatoes. Step back and look at the big picture. If everyone working as an NP on your unit approaches management with pertinent points regarding the value they bring to the table, you would be up against folks that refer back to their years of experience, production numbers, language skills, patient satisfaction, etc. So being fluent is one of many things that one can point to when asking for a raise. I think if you present it as your only saving grace, you will look like you are straining at ways to make extra cash. I just think you'd look silly and inexperienced if you present language skills as your main case for a raise.

If you are adamant about trying to get a raise, I think you need to present your value on several different fronts. So don't go into a conversation presenting one point. Ask for a raise based on several aspects of what you bring to the table, language skills being just one of several. So when you approach your manager to talk about this, I think you should present it as kind of a recap of where you are as an NP of one year. You could approach it like "I've been part of the team here for a little over a year, and I'm in the swing of things now that I'm getting more comfortable with my role. I'm doing well in X area, as well as X. I've noticed that one of the things that sets me apart is how beneficial my language experience is to the workflow and my production, but also how much time and money it saves us vs. when we have to use translation services. I feel like the monetary value of that is something I'd like to be rewarded for, because its not a skill that everyone has, especially at the level of quality that I bring to the table when I translate based on my ability as a certified translator. So with all these things in mind, I'd like to ask for a raise."

But I wouldn't ask for a raise unless you have something else to point to. They knew about your language skills when they hired you, and you accepted the terms. You are springing this on them after the fact, so you need to have more ammunition than just that. But overall, you are simply asking for a raise. They will likely tell you no, or give you maybe $1500 to settle your request and move on. But you never know until you ask. You bring in lots of money for the hospital, and are a lot more cost effective than a physician, so you don't need to be shy about asking for a raise.

The reason why providers jump around to work at different places is because that's the surest way to maximize negotiating power. Administration never seems to understand the concept of retention to the same degree that they willingly reward those they seek to recruit. My experience as an RN has very clearly shown me that facilities are willing to watch nurses walk rather than put meager effort into keeping them. The reason why is because if they give in and accommodate one employee, they have a whole facility of employees that will also want in on that. But, if they bring someone new in, the administration simply states that the market is shifting and the new hires demand more robust offers. Even if the new hires are more expensive initially, that still is a lot cheaper than the legions of employees that they know will be clammoring for raises if they have to pay to retain what they have. If a handful of folks walk every few months, that's just the cost of doing business. The hospital is counting on most employees staying put. The loyal folks get a meager raise, and their PTO builds up, and they also don't have to stress over adapting to a new place to work.

If your boss knows you are staying put, you will get nothing. If you get anything at all, it will be hardly worth the effort for you, and it will just be a matter of them throwing you some crumbs. Honestly, I'd just simply sit tight and look for other opportunities down the road. I don't thing you are out anything by asking for a raise and cite several aspects of your care that is helpful to the facility. But I wouldn't try to squeeze out a few dimes by going hat in hand to them and asking them for money for translating. I am at a loss to adequately describe why I think you will lose face on that single minded approach, but I just think it kind of comes across as if you are just scrounging for money any way you can. I'm not saying that you are like that, I'm just saying that since you are a provider now, and not a nurse, you should cultivate an image of being above that. Either ask for a raise regarding a number of skills you bring to the table, or just work hard and look around for a different job. When you do find a different job, you come at the new job with a demand for a higher wage than you have. When you have that tied down, then come back to the new place and give them an opportunity to counter if they want to keep you. But don't go beg for some chump change, because its not worth your time. They won't give you more than a fraction of what a translator makes.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone-

As you may recall a few weeks ago I posted this question looking for some advice/guidance on how to request an increase in salary/compensation as part of my ability to see more patients, increase flow due to being bilingual.

I was actually getting ready to go talk to my manager about it this week when I got a call from a recruiter on Friday asking me if I was interested in a position (same specialty I’m doing) at a hospital 45 minutes away. ( They dar my resume online).

They are offering me $10 more per hour than what I make right now. I love the facility where I am at, love what I do, but this offer is very tempting.

How can I make my manager/supervisor aware of this call from the recruiter and that offer they made me? The recruiter did mention that they are looking for someone bilingual and someone with the interests I have.

I have a few projects that I am working on with my current job to make it better.

What would be the right approach to my current facility to see if they can match or at least give a substantial increase compared to the new offer from the recruiter?

Thanks in advance everyone.

$20,000 more than what you are making right now....

Make sure that’s an official offer, do some negotiating with the new place due to the fact you are in California and they are 45 minutes away, and because you love your current job. If you find what they are offering you to be adequate, and you would be willing to take it, then go to your boss and tell him or her that you are conflicted because you had someone come to you an recruit you with an offer to do the same thing you do there that is $10 more per hour, and that they want an answer very soon (you feel like you should tell them within two days). Ask him if the thinks the company would consider a raise for you, because you would love to stay there, but that much money would be too much for you to turn down. It’s hardball time, but only if you have that other job in hand. They will either be willing to keep you or not. That’s all there is to it. They either respect you and your work, or they don’t respect you enough to consider a raise of any kind. This is when you realize what you are to them. Everything else is just talk. I’m not saying they aren’t fond of you, but you will figure out if they think that there is a price placed on that fondness.

Your current job knows you as a new grad, and they pay you like one. Sometimes you have to leave for anyone to see you as anything but a new grad, even if that means proving it to yourself that you aren’t. This is healthy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply!

Ideally I would love to stay and if they could make an adjustment I am more than willing to stay.

I guess I just want to know how to approach it without them feeling threatened, rather making them aware of that offer and my desire to stay, but also of my value.