Salary Anesthesia Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PM&R right now is in the 300's-400k plus. The pain offers I have been emailed are in the 200's - anywhere from 250-280 to low 300's like 325.
that seems awfully low for Pain. Based on both MGMA data and anecdotally, those offers are much lower. Are these academic jobs? Are they in really big cities (e.g: NYC)? What the the locations and practice type for these jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
that seems awfully low for Pain. Based on both MGMA data and anecdotally, those offers are much lower. Are these academic jobs? Are they in really big cities (e.g: NYC)? What the the locations and practice type for these jobs?

Chicagoland. Maybe it's because they heard physiatrists are no fun at cocktail parties and they low ball? :D

Reactions: 1 users
Chicagoland. Maybe it's because they heard physiatrists are no fun at cocktail parties and they low ball? :D
Are these partnerships track with production bonuses or salary with RVU adjustments or academic pyramid scheme with empty promises. In some markets PMR market rate is set by large academic hospital that low ball. In Boston Spaulding/Harvard under pay and lower the entire market as the control more than 70% of PMR docs in the state In the state. I imagine in Chicago and NYC it’s the same as they are more hospital heavy.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these partnerships track with production bonuses or salary with RVU adjustments or academic pyramid scheme with empty promises. In some markets PMR market rate is set by large academic hospital that low ball. In Boston Spaulding/Harvard under pay and lower the entire market as the control more than 70% of PMR docs in the state In the state. I imagine in Chicago and NYC it’s the same as they are more hospital heavy.
The ones I've received have varied. No academics. I don't think locally hospitals set the market rate. Just lots of doctors and horrible saturation. Like my former boss told a colleague of mine, "If you don't take this job, I have 10 other people that will." Spaulding is a low baller I hear as well. I had a colleague who was a Pedi neurologist and she was offered 95k post fellowship at Spaulding or Boston's children I forget which one - this was a few years ago but still. ridonkulous!

So wait are these academic jobs? hospital employed? or private practice?

I've personally known Chicagland PM&R residents (did my medical school there and I did aways at all Chicago PM&R programs) received 280k starting offerings for just PM&R and this was several years ago.

Pain salaries should not be $250 starting; something does not make sense.

So wait are these academic jobs? hospital employed? or private practice?

I've personally known Chicagland PM&R residents (did my medical school there and I did aways at all Chicago PM&R programs) received 280k starting offerings for just PM&R and this was several years ago.

Pain salaries should not be $250 starting; something does not make sense.

the jobs that have been advertised to me for pain in the range described are for private practice not academic. I have not known anyone in the Chicagoland area to have an offer for a PM&R job for 280 in the Chicagoland area - and I have worked for a number of the groups in the Chicagoland area, and have interviewed with prob most of them at one point or another. Independent contractor SNF work 280 +sure but that's not salary.

I work for an ortho group as PMR pain. Due to the pandemic and staffing issues, all of 2021, I worked about 25 hours a week on average and made about 360k

I work for an ortho group as PMR pain. Due to the pandemic and staffing issues, all of 2021, I worked about 25 hours a week on average and made about 360k
Jeez. What would you make in a non-pandemic year? And what city?

Where you collections based or salary? That would be unusual here.
That number = salary + productivity bonus

I really just got rid of a lot of unnecessaries in my schedule. No lunch, shortened new patient and follow up slots, on really busy days had a Pa for part of the time. Mind you, very minimal narcs, 30% Medicare and associated plans, the rest commercial, minimal comp/PI. Full service including emgs and regen (but all PRP, and not a lot). Maybe like 5 stim trials last year, no implants. The rest bread and butter (if you consider rfa bread and butter) I’m also 12 years in and not really looking to “find my way” as a doc. Like my fellowship director said, “at some point you know what you know and you know what you don’t know, and chances are at some point, what you don’t know is just not known.”

But I’m Jersey, 360k is like 250k in another state, so keep that in mind..doesn’t go too far if you have a mortgage and a young family..

Last edited:
I was offered 400k at Spaulding 15 years ago. I think the office was going to be in foxborough though

I was offered 400k at Spaulding 15 years ago. I think the office was going to be in foxborough though
Inpatient PM&R? Medical Director? Can you describe more about the role?

Pain. Was a long time ago. Interviewed with zafonte. Nice guy.