Salaries for DO vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

and to the underlined: this is not always true. The PRACTICE makes money based on reimbursement. but there are plenty of physicians out there with flat rate contracts. It all depends on what you sign up for.
Yes, I know that. The point, however, is that the practice determines your salary as a share of the reimbursements you are EXPECTED to bring in.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know that. The point, however, is that the practice determines your salary as a share of the reimbursements you are EXPECTED to bring in.

it isnt really worth splitting hairs.... You say this, I say it is more a function of what gets negotiated. At that level it is just like any other job, job interview, and acceptance process. Offers, counter offers, and salary negotiation until both sides sign the papers. practices are interesting in making money OFF OF you, not making money FOR you. So they want to pay you as little as possible to keep you happy while collecting the rest. This is just standard business process. A give and take between how low can we go before this guy heads off to greener pastures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Private practice DO Physicians in the fields below could possible incorporate OMM into their practice and quite possible increase their earning potential when it comes to billing as compared to their MD counterparts who practice the same specialty.

fields where OMM is applicable on an outpatient basis in private practice: FM, IM, Peds, Neuro, PMR,

There's a thread on the Pre-osteo forum a while back that discusses this.

does OMM bill out at similar rates to other procedures? There are only so many hours in the day (~24 according to a bumper sticker I saw concerning beers in a case) and only so many pt visits one could have. Yes, you could potentially perform services an MD could not, but if the common practices have a higher yield it does not make sense to say that a "supplement" (which can only replace other productivity) would increase salary.

"supplement" procedures don't necessarily eat into the time you spend with other patients. I would speak to some of the attendings on here who incorporate OMM into their practice as I am unsure on how this is done.

does OMM bill out at similar rates to other procedures? There are only so many hours in the day (~24 according to a bumper sticker I saw concerning beers in a case) and only so many pt visits one could have. Yes, you could potentially perform services an MD could not, but if the common practices have a higher yield it does not make sense to say that a "supplement" (which can only replace other productivity) would increase salary.

It really depends on what state you are in.

When I had full body OMM (6+ regions) done on myself in Fairbanks my bill was around $500
The same in Texas was around $300.

I don't do OMM on every patient because it's not warranted. However, it is quick and easy to do if you learn it well. I had a man come in with a Migraine yesterday. It took longer for the nurse to get the imitrex injection ready than it did for me to adjust his neck and upper back. His headache was essentially gone by the time he left the office.

I can do HVLA and do the main 4 regions. Cspine, Tspine, Lspine and Sacrum in about 3 minutes. You can do stretching on an older person while you are tallking with them and bill for it. Medicare pays for OMT.

You bill per every 2 regions treated. I think each clinic has it's own fee schedule. The average I've seen is around $50 for 2.

Last edited:
It really depends on what state you are in.

When I had full body OMM (6+ regions) done on myself in Fairbanks my bill was around $500
The same in Texas was around $300.

I don't do OMM on every patient because it's not warranted. However, it is quick and easy to do if you learn it well. I had a man come in with a Migraine yesterday. It took longer for the nurse to get the imitrex injection ready than it did for me to adjust his next and upper back. His headache was essentially gone by the time he left the office.

I can do HVLA and do the main 4 regions. Cspine, Tspine, Lspine and Sacrum in about 3 minutes. You can do stretching on an older person while you are tallking with them and bill for it. Medicare pays for OMT.

You bill per every 2 regions treated. I think each clinic has it's own fee schedule. The average I've seen is around $50 for 2.

merci :thumbup:

I wonder if dentists have these ridiculous questions (DMD vs DDS income), or pharmacists (PhD vs PharmD...).

I wonder if dentists have these ridiculous questions (DMD vs DDS income), or pharmacists (PhD vs PharmD...).

In general, pre-pharm and pre-dental students don't have quite as large a stick up their asses as the average prestige-***** pre-med. P < 0.05

The degree doesn't matter, what does is what you bill for and patient mix. An FP, who does few procedures and has mostly "self-pay"/medicaid will not make nearly as much as an ortho who does patients who are insured by top insurers and can crank in the OR and works long hours. The other thing that determines salary is how you run your practice. By being lean and mean, few techs/nurses, making extensive use of physician extenders, offshoring the back office and the like.

Members don't see this ad :)
The degree doesn't matter, what does is what you bill for and patient mix. An FP, who does few procedures and has mostly "self-pay"/medicaid will not make nearly as much as an ortho who does patients who are insured by top insurers and can crank in the OR and works long hours. The other thing that determines salary is how you run your practice. By being lean and mean, few techs/nurses, making extensive use of physician extenders, offshoring the back office and the like.

In my limited experience, this is true. Successful docs will embrace NPs, not lose sleep over "encroachment" and cling to their beloved pathophysiology.

In my limited experience, this is true. Successful docs will embrace NPs, not lose sleep over "encroachment" and cling to their beloved pathophysiology.

Or PAs or DPTs (For ortho) or ODs (Ophtho). The smart thing is to make intelligent use of them and recognize they will work for a lot less.

Or PAs or DPTs (For ortho) or ODs (Ophtho). The smart thing is to make intelligent use of them and recognize they will work for a lot less.

Is true. And when DNPs demand equal pay (they're already doing this btw) as MDs/DOs, the joke will be on them. It a Toyota and a Lexus cost the same, you go with the Lexus, 100% of the time.

Where I work, both the Ophtho's AND the Optom's use ophthalmic technicians

Where I work, both the Ophtho's AND the Optom's use ophthalmic technicians

Ophthalmic techs are not physician extenders though, they are skilled, but at the same time they are techs and unlike PAs and NPs they don't have the training to be semi-autonomous, mid-level providers.

Ophthalmic techs are not physician extenders though, they are skilled, but at the same time they are techs and unlike PAs and NPs they don't have the training to be semi-autonomous, mid-level providers.

Just pointing out that where I work, Ophtho's aren't using Optom's. They're using techs. And that even the Optom's are using techs (leaving them with pretty much only the fundus exam and contact lens fitting since we even do the refractions for the Optom's)

Just pointing out that where I work, Ophtho's aren't using Optom's. They're using techs. And that even the Optom's are using techs (leaving them with pretty much only the fundus exam and contact lens fitting since we even do the refractions for the Optom's)

Same thing with the ophtho I shadowed. He used techs... while making fun of how stupid optoms are because they always asked him for a consult over the dumbest things. Good times... :laugh:

Why is money the most scared topic. People wanna know and they have the right to.

Why is money the most scared topic. People wanna know and they have the right to.

Most scared? Do you mean sacred? It isnt the fact that the money subject hits a nerve its the fact that the difference in pay between an MD and DO can be found with a quick search. Threads like this one (which dates back to 2005) derail soon into the thread and eventually die out....if you want to know about salary search the web, SDN or find a doctor not a bunch of premeds who make 0-12000 a year on average.

You're the one that went and dug up a 3 month old thread about money.

Exactly my thoughts, only for us to once again answer the question that DO=MD in terms of salary because they are both physicians. Sheesh, maybe VR won't be the stronger area for some of these folks. Com'on people at least read through the threads before reviving dead threads.

Ok here's my other thoughts....
View attachment dead thread.jpg

To be honest, I am willing to study medicine only for the money and to fulfill my father's constant reminding of "study for the MCAT" every time he sees me in the house. So honestly, i am in it to keep family tradition and for the sweet money.

Go 2016 MCAT takers

Reactions: 1 user
They speak of a Necromancer living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead.

Strangely, I actually remember reading this troll thread years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
They speak of a Necromancer living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead.

Strangely, I actually remember reading this troll thread years ago.

He was so powerful, he learned ancient sith techniques to stop threads from dying.

To be honest, I am willing to study medicine only for the money and to fulfill my father's constant reminding of "study for the MCAT" every time he sees me in the house. So honestly, i am in it to keep family tradition and for the sweet money.

Go 2016 MCAT takers
I predict major success in your future.

Reactions: 1 users

Go 2016 MCAT takers
I take my mcats in 2016 as well!! Good luck :D

These threads should be moved to:

9qTFXVJ.jpg

.unfortunately i am unable to find any source that acutally give some figure for the salary difference between DOs and MDs....it doesnt really matter cause i am sure there isnt that much of a diff but i'd really like to know! i've tried all possible combinations on google, no luck! know of any such source/sites?
taj
Where I work (Emergency Room) there is no difference. Pay is an RVU basis.

I don't know why people still ask these questions. DO makes relatively the same as MD and in some cases that I have seen, they can make a lot more than their colleagues due to successful practices.

There is NO difference in pay between MDs and DOs
If anything the average for DOs may be higher due to more of them going into private medicine as opposed to academic

A lot of places ask for M.D. or D.O. degrees when looking for physician related jobs and specialties. I think it's silly how people think D.O. or M.D. physicians have different tiers of pay just because of one letter. Pay depends on your specialty and experience.

actually, i think that DOs earn less than MDs. but boy...to go through med school and then years of residency just for money????.....are you sure you want to do that? you do realize that it will take years before you start earning in the 6 figure salary. you do not earn a great deal right after med school. if anyone is going into medicine for purely money, they will get burned out rather quickly. medicine is grueling, time consuming and if you are not in it for the passion of it, you are going into it for the wrong reason. i agree that financial stability is a good positive but that should not be the sole reason. if you are in it for the money, why dont you go into law or finance where you can earn big bucks right after school?

Caring about money does not equal ONLY caring about money. Your income is important. When you get a real job one day, you'll realize that. People decide to go to medical school for a variety of reasons, but certainly the decision should make sense financially as well.

To demystify all concerns once and for all, I work as a medical biller for a cardiologists' office serving both MD and DO physicians, all physicians get paid the same within their own specialty, unless they're enrolled in a special IPA program that buffs their pays by x-amount (let's say +25%).

If you do not believe me, just search up "CPT-4 fee schedule" (Current Procedural Terminology, Revision 4; fee schedule means how much they're going to get paid either as an in-network provider, or an out-of-network provider, servicing patient-X).

A standard office visit for all doctors in private practice can range from level I ($20~) to level V ($130~). You can find this fee schedule from Medicare's two websites (since all HMOs, PPOs, Medicare, and Medicaid plans follow Medicare's lead) on NGSMedicare.com, or CMS.gov, and just type in 2014 fee schedule. For services rendered, let's say you have a SPECT done, some people who are not enrolled in a special IPA will get paid ~$500, others who are enrolled in an IPA will get paid ~$600-650. But all in all, everyone gets paid the same, whether you're a new provider, or you've been grandfathered into a program.

Medicare as a guide for payments will always be your friend.

--Just my two cents.

Caring about money does not equal ONLY caring about money. Your income is important. When you get a real job one day, you'll realize that. People decide to go to medical school for a variety of reasons, but certainly the decision should make sense financially as well.

Especially with tuition and interest rates at their current levels.

check out CCOM's salary ranges for several specialties on their admissions page:

https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine.html

perhaps they post this to make people not faint after seeing their insane COA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This whole thread is sad not because there are some people motivated entirely by money and not because there are some people that are spreading misinformation, but it is mainly sad because there are people applying and enrolling in medical schools that don't seem to have the capacity to plan and carry out their own comprehensive research for how they should proceed in their own life in an educated way. I'm seriously amazed at fellow students and peers who want to be in medicine (in whatever capacity) but will not take the time to do the research necessary to understand the current environment. How can some people be so smart and so stupid at the same time? It's amazing to me. As far as osteopathic schools, I think "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz should be required reading...

Reactions: 3 users
It's a well known fact that DOs get paid with Trident Layers.

thats all i got to say about this....

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 34
I was told that totally depends on how you run the business. Some DOs hire MDs and they earn much more than them

DOs get paid FARRR MORE--simply due to the fact we get paid in AT Stills Dollars vs US Currency. Yall can keep your greenbacks with deceased presidents on it--I'll take my silver coins with Stills picture on it.

First off, I have no idea why this thread got mega-bumped considering how old it is but...

I was told that totally depends on how you run the business. Some DOs hire MDs and they earn much more than them

In a hospital it's not going to be like that because you're going to get paid the same to do the same job. How a private practice runs their business is their own deal and wouldn't really have anything to do with which degree you have either.