Salaried PT, working overtime..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rshives19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'd love to get some feedback and insights from some fellow PTs in the working world on working "overtime" as a salaried employee. I've just started working about a month in OP and have already been approached a handful of times to "help-out" at high school sporting events probably 1x a week. This is pretty much marketing for the company and a way for them to get prospective clients. I'm already working 40+ hrs a week, including additional documentation hours at times. I'd much rather spend my free time with my gf, dog, and continuing education.

I'm dodging it as of now. I've yet to confirm or ask about compensation (gas, mileage). I've done a little research and have come across some info stating that salaried employee are not eligible for overtime.

Should I cave and appreciate the fact that this company gave me a job and do it? (My manager is a great mentor and very helpful as well) Only do it if I am payed for it? Has anyone been in this scenario and how did you handle it?..Its a little intimidating to say no as a new grad, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My company sponsors local runs and we set up a tent, stretch people out, foam roll, answer questions, etc. It is strictly on a volunteer bases and happens on weekends~5-10x/yr. Sounds like a similar situation or are you providing more in depth patient care at the high school?
It might be good idea to volunteer if you plan to move into management or open your own place. Although 1x/week seems such a big commitment. Anyhow, I would not expect you to get compensated.

As a salaried PT employee, working > 40 hours a week has been the norm for me since I graduated. I spent the last 5 years working mostly OP PT with some IP and SNF as well as covering HS training room and ALL home varsity events for 2 area high schools. And I was one of 4 PTs doing this. It drove all of our SOs insane and TBH, we really didn't need to do all of it for our practice; we did it for the communities we live in as a "thank you."
Now I practice exclusively in OP. Just a quick look at my last 4 pay periods show that I worked an average of 56 hrs/week and I don't do anything outside of my clinic with the exception of marketing 1x/2weeks x 4 hours each.
In regards to your situation, doing HS coverage 1x/week is nothing. Salaried employees are not eligible for overtime; your time is there time. And you'll gain some good experience and make good relationships with those in your community. If you say "yes," just make sure you don't say "yes" to everything or you will take advantage of.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you say "yes," just make sure you don't say "yes" to everything or you will take advantage of.

In this same vein, I think it's a good idea to set some expectations from the get-go. Whether that's committing to once a week or every other week or only week nights, whatever you decide is reasonable and is acceptable to them. Better to be on the same page from the start, with some flexibility of course.

I agree with the posters above. Just make sure to set your expectations before becoming the default "yes man." I have been in scenarios in the past where I was paid an hourly wage and expected to do unpaid documentation/marketing hours outside of work. Unfortunately, I was not paid for hours where patients were not scheduled, nor was I paid for the extra work, so I wound up earning less than I expected b/c of the "flex" time. It seems to be very common in private clinics...