Saint Vincent's Hospital Closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usamsIII

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/nyregion/03vincents.html?ref=health

Apparently Saint Vincent's is scheduled to close?
According to my friends applying for the regular match, they have been informed that Saint Vincent's actually pulled OUT of the match for all of their residency programs.

But Saint Vincent's was still listed for ophthalmology this year...they interviewed almost 80 people for three positions, and the program was available for ranking this year.

What is going to happen to those that matched at Saint Vincent's? If and will the program continue? Will the current residents and those that matched be joining another program?

Members don't see this ad.

The hospital itself is imploding, and it looks like the Ophthalmology Residency is/will be a victim. From what I understand, whole departments are closing at the end of the month, including Ophthalmology, Neurology, Pathology, Renal, and Endocrinology. I believe OB-Gyn may have already closed down.

To my knowledge this only applies to the Manhattan-based St. Vincent's. I believe there is another one in NYC in Brooklyn/Queens for which I have no information.

What a shame. Saint Vincent's is a terrific program. I hope the residents are able to find places to go. This sort of thing shouldn't happen to good programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, program directors across the country have been contacted to see if any can take potentially displaced residents.

From what I've heard, program directors across the country have been contacted to see if any can take potentially displaced residents.
I feel awful for those who ranked St V's above any other program

I feel awful for those who ranked St V's above any other program

I feel bad too!
I wish all of them the best of luck.
I really liked the program and faculty when I interviewed there.
With 12 residents who need to be placed who knows where everyone will end up? I'm curious to know and wish all of them the best of luck.

I hear that Saint Vincent's got all of its orphaned residents placed in other programs already.