This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mulzdulz

Reaction score
Hey. Was wondering what the job market in St Louis looks like? What is the average pay? Was thinking maybe ok given not too close and not far from Chicago, ok weather, good cost of living. Any info appreciated thanks

Members don't see this ad.

would be interested as well.

Avg pay outside of academics is 250 St Louis is a decent city

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Is it highly competitive?

Since it's still good pay, probably not. Paying you for the price of likely getting murked or robbed.

Stepmom lived in St.Louis until she and pops got married.
St.Louis was an awful city every time I was there, save for the ballpark, which was pretty freaking awesome.
Stepmom's family all got together one night and we all went out for a big family dinner in "the hill", which was supposed to be some big-time Italian district with mind-blowing food.
It was scary. Food was... marginal. But the environs... maaaan. Newark looked good by comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
Stepmom lived in St.Louis until she and pops got married.
St.Louis was an awful city every time I was there, save for the ballpark, which was pretty freaking awesome.
Stepmom's family all got together one night and we all went out for a big family dinner in "the hill", which was supposed to be some big-time Italian district with mind-blowing food.
It was scary. Food was... marginal. But the environs... maaaan. Newark looked good by comparison.

It has been more than a decade since I visited, but I recall it being blighted. Moreover, it seems to rank right up there with Detroit, Baltimore, et al with the highest violent crime.

Having said that, EPs looking for good training in CCM should definitely consider Univ of Washington / Barnes Jewish. The CCM program director is an EP and a significant voice for the subspecialty. A couple colleagues came from there and loved the training.

#49 on the list of the top 50 most miserable cities in America. I'm not exactly saying that business insider is the most reputable of sources, but if your city is showing up on a list like this, it's either satire or there's something wrong with your city.

I dont normally chime in on the physician threads, as i'm barely past pre-med, but this thread seems to have a lot of misinformation. I lived in st louis for much of my life. The majority of jobs and residential areas are not in the city nor in dangerous/run-down areas, as it's mostly a suburban "city" nowadays. West county is one of the nicest suburbs in the country with some good public school systems. Don't expect to have a night life like Chicago or NYC or any real city, but there are plenty of good places to live and raise some kiddos with great COL if that's your interest.

Wish i could speak more to EM jobs but I'm clueless in that regard

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Travel 4 hours west and go to Kansas City. Or go a little south to Memphis. Both are more enticing cities than St Louis to me. Jobs, on the other hand, are not as necessarily better in those cities. For instance, KC is dominated by HCA hospitals.

I dont normally chime in on the physician threads, as i'm barely past pre-med, but this thread seems to have a lot of misinformation. I lived in st louis for much of my life. The majority of jobs and residential areas are not in the city nor in dangerous/run-down areas, as it's mostly a suburban "city" nowadays. West county is one of the nicest suburbs in the country with some good public school systems. Don't expect to have a night life like Chicago or NYC or any real city, but there are plenty of good places to live and raise some kiddos with great COL if that's your interest.

Wish i could speak more to EM jobs but I'm clueless in that regard

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Yeah, but how are the Rams doing this year? Oh, wait a minute...my bad. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The posts in this thread offer a complete garbage and misinformed representation of the city. Sorry, as someone who has lots of family in the area and visits frequently (and rotated at WashU as a med student), I can attest to what a great town STL is. It is without a doubt one of the best kept secrets if you are looking for an awesome food scene, great sports, zero traffic, affordable cost of living, and some of the best hospitals in the nation.

People conflate St. Louis City and St. Louis County/St. Louis Metro area. They are very different. That's akin to saying, "I'm not moving to LA because skid row has lots of crime".

St. Louis City (particularly north of Delmar) is arguably one of the roughest areas in the country. WashU and SLU both probably see more penetrating trauma than anywhere in the country. But even within the city, there are so many awesome neighborhoods including Tower Grove, Lafayette Square, the Grove, Central West End, Shaw that are super livable, have an awesome community and food scene with great bars and nightlife etc.

The greater St. Louis Metro area has tons of awesome suburban neighborhoods with zero crime, affordable cost of living and great schools.

The city unfortunately has a history deeply entrenched in segregation, and the area is trying very much to break ties with its dark past, but things are on the upswing. If you decide to not consider moving there based solely on CNN's representation of Ferguson, you are really missing out.

There are nice areas to every violent cesspool city in american. Royal Oak near Detroit, and Canton in Baltimore come to mind.

Stay away from the hospitals on the IL side. Far away.

Reactions: 3 users
Team Health is paying 260/hr at some sites. You couldn't pay me 300/hr to work there. The absolute dumbest mid-levels in one of the highest liability counties in the country. No way.

Team Health is paying 260/hr at some sites. You couldn't pay me 300/hr to work there. The absolute dumbest mid-levels in one of the highest liability counties in the country. No way.
Well that's a scary thought

One of the shops around my area would pay TRIPLE time for emergency coverage. That's 800+ bucks/hour.
Its an HCA shop, of course.
One of my good buddies took that shift.
I'll never forget him saying to me: "Yep. I'll never make THAT mistake again."

One of the shops around my area would pay TRIPLE time for emergency coverage. That's 800+ bucks/hour.
What’s so bad about hca?

What’s so bad about hca?
1571462244156.gif

Reactions: 2 users
HCA isn't honestly that bad if the pay is good. For the most part just ignore all the *****s with clipboards, and click the sepsis protocol one every patient.

And see them all within 30 min but not faster than every 5

you ever get that call, like a 600 dollar quote and say sure, hang up the phone and call outta the place you're supposed to work at?

you ever get that call, like a 600 dollar quote and say sure, hang up the phone and call outta the place you're supposed to work at?

No because that's not how you treat the group you're working with.

No because that's not how you treat the group you're working with.
Just call your locums buddy and try and get em to cover you. I've offered $500-1000 and we both win. I'll do the same for him if he gets a big offer.

Never.
Its not easy to "just call out" of my existing gig.

Notice, I didn't say: "That's the wrong thing to do."
That's the RIGHT thing to do, as the powers that be don't give an eff about you.
So, I don't give an eff about them.
Except for my current full-time gig. We're in the infancy of actually being a quasi-SDG right now.
I picked up a shift night-after-tomorrow for one of our other docs.
His wife died.
They began dating at the age of 17 and 15. Married as high school sweethearts. He went to Vietnam, she waited for him to come back.
Her death was not unexpected, but it doesn't make it any easier to take for him.
After all, he's 80 years old (no exaggeration), and he's still working 8 nightshifts (only) a month.

What a freaking man.

Business is sociopathic, and HCA is a business. If HCA was a person, you would not invite them into your house, or let your daughter date them.

If HCA was a person we would all be saying "Witch!!! A WITCH!!! BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!!! That person believes with witchcraft!!!!!!!"

If HCA was a person we would all be saying "Witch!!! A WITCH!!! BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!!! That person believes with witchcraft!!!!!!!"

When the word got out that TeamHEALTH was out at my shop, I seriously got 10+ people from the nearby HCA-run shops asking me if there was a job opening for them. THAT'S how badly HCA disrespects their employees.

I freaking hate them. So much.

Anyone interested in sharing more specific numbers? Any info on current groups would also be appreciated. Mercy is hospital employed, correct? BJC is TH? How about SSM, St. Lukes, others?

Anyone interested in sharing more specific numbers? Any info on current groups would also be appreciated. Mercy is hospital employed, correct? BJC is TH? How about SSM, St. Lukes, others?
I think vituity has the SSM locations, at least in East St Louis.

Don't have any specific info on St Louis hospitals but Vituity and TeamHealth currently hold all the contracts.

Rumor has it Mercy south is around 285. DePaul is 250. St Clare 250. St Mary 240.

Indianapolis is not Saint Louis.

"What about IU’s EM program director that was murdered in cold blood in his own home in the nicest part of Indianapolis like three years ago? "

Indianapolis is not Saint Louis.
I grew up in one and lived for years in the other, so I can confirm that they are - indeed - two separate cities.

Reactions: 2 users

...and HCA would be trying to escape our indignation on a broom while wearing a pointy black hat.

• Haha
Not the OP, but still toss around the idea moving to st louis since my wife has family there.

Bump for any recent experiences post-covid?