"Safety" Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WolverinePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading on the PT acceptances thread and someone mentioned apply to a safety school. I would really like to know what people are considering as safety schools. Looking through that same thread, people who are accepted into top programs are rejected from what I would consider "saftey" schools. Seems pretty hit or miss.
This isn't like undergrad where you apply to your state school as backup. But as for my "safety" application, I will probably apply to a school that doesn't use PTCAS, hoping that there will be fewer applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is pretty hit or miss. Per the last PTCAS Applicant Data Report, half of the applicants didn't get accepted into any program, no matter how many they applied to. There really aren't any true safety nets that you can be sure of acceptance like undergrad schools. However, PTCAS data on their website for each school does show you the GPA and GRE scores of their average accepted applicants, so you know which ones may be easier to get into. In addition, other data that I've looked at show that the GPA's of accepted applicants are lower at private programs vs public (3.4 vs 3.6 per APTA), and it appears to me that it is a bit easier to get into schools that don't use PTCAS (fewer applicants probably as you note), new programs that are not accredited yet (unless it is in an area where you want to attend school why take the risk if your scores are good enough for you to get accepted elsewhere), schools with low exam pass rates (you can find this info on the fsbpt.org website), or schools with high tuition rates.

In addition, other data that I've looked at show that the GPA's of accepted applicants are lower at private programs vs public (3.4 vs 3.6 per APTA), .

I find this really interesting. It makes senes, but I didn't realize the gap between public and private was so significant. Thanks for the good info!

Members don't see this ad :)
The PTCAS report is awesome. I cant believe how many schools people applied too. 80 programs? That is sad.

I know pretty much what schools I am applying to and I don't think anyone would consider them safety, other than the one off PTCAS, but that one is pretty competitive. But you have given me some great links, thanks!

80 schools??? I wouldn't have enough money to do that!!!!

that's like $3,000 in PTCAS app fees alone...not including sending your GRE scores, supplemental app fees, the cost of traveling to all the interviews...oh my geez, I can only afford to apply to MAYBE 5 schools....that's ridiculous.

The PTCAS report is awesome. I cant believe how many schools people applied too. 80 programs? That is sad.

I know pretty much what schools I am applying to and I don't think anyone would consider them safety, other than the one off PTCAS, but that one is pretty competitive. But you have given me some great links, thanks!

i think I saw one person that had applied to that many........yikes lots of $$$ to do that. I was a very interesting report ..... thanks for posting

80 schools??? I wouldn't have enough money to do that!!!!

Ditto! And who ever it was didn't get accepted anywhere, that is the worst part of it. I feel like anyone applying to more than 10-12 is just over-the-top concerned about getting in.

80 schools is certainly overkill, but it's not a bad idea to hedge your bets if you are unsure about how competitive your application will be. Another thing to be cognizant of is that the admissions process is not always cut and dry. What may be a competitive/non-competitive application in year A might flip-flop in year B. I have a buddy who was unsure about Dental school or Pharm School, and applied to 10-12 for each. Cost him a crazy amount of loot, and go figure he didnt' get into any. He had a relatively tough major(Chemistry) and had a solid gpa(according to him), and scored in the 85+% of the DAT and PCAT(again according to him) and still no dice. It really can be a "crapshoot" sometimes!

Lulz @ 80 school stat, if you apply to that many you're doing it wrong. Just do your research and understand what schools a reach and what's more your speed. Apply 75/25 split I'd say for the average applicant.

But, apply do apply to all your state schools if you can help it. Even if they're all supposedly "reaches".

Holy mother. What are people thinking applying to 80 schools??? My safety school was University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, TX. And I only applied to two schools. lol...