Safety schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdent9972

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given how competitive it is these days, what schools are easier or more difficlut to gain acceptance? I've heard 1000 applicants for 35 spaces at some schools. Despite your numbers/ record, it must be an uphill battle. Which schools are safety schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I can echo what I've heard others say based on my own experience: You won't get in to your "safety" schools, but you will get in to the "reach" schools where you don't think you have a chance.

I was ONLY accepted to my #1 choice.

It's like they can smell your interest, or lack thereof.

-NS

It's kind of rude to post everyone's saftey schools. Some of my "safety schools" might be other students' first or only choice, or vice versa. Generally it's harder to get into established state schools, especially if you're not a resident of that state. Private schools can be easier (most likely because they are so expensive and don't have in-state quotas). Expect 1000+ applications at just about any school for next year though. I would apply to *several* schools, and not just what you've heard are "easy" schools.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even think there is such a thing as a safety school for pharmacy anymore. I think most people myself included are happy getting in anywhere at this point. Schools that were "easier" to get in are getting as many apps as the other schools.

America's health care system is second only to Japan... Canada, Sweden, Great Britain... well, all of Europe. But you can thank your lucky stars we don't live in Paraguay!
--Homer Simpson

THAT QUOTE IS OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Safety school??
New pharmacy schools(first class application). For example, two new schools will open in 2005, texas a&m and another in the appalacian(sp?) mountains.

which school in the appalachian mountains are you talking about? Appalachian State University?

What is really tough is like in my case where there is only one COP I can go to. So if I don't get into UF, I will either have to keep apply to wear them down :laugh: or change fields at that point. :( Neither option makes me happy. But I keep plugging along.

There is talk that UC Irvine might start a pharmacy school soon so that means more pharmacy school in kali. :D

wow. so many new pharmacy schools opening up. I guess I know where to send more applications! THANKS for the info. I will do more research on AACP's website to try and find out the specific pre-req's.

List more info for us "less than stellar" gpa guys. or gals :)

OK, did a bit of research and where does it say those schools listed above will open up for next year (2005)? And the only school listed above I couldn't find is Texas A&M.

And on a side note, how come Hawaii isn't found on any of these lists?

I'm not sure why Hawaii isn't listed on there.

In regards to Texas A&M, I have friends that used to live here (Tampa Bay) that just moved back home to Corpus Christi, TX, and right now they attend the campus at Kingsville (?). They told me prior to moving that the guidance counselors told them that their pharmacy school would be opening in 2005. Hope this helps.

Can anyone give me information on the school set to open at University of North Texas - Ft. Worth?

Shannon

Info on future TX pharmacy schools:

The School of Pharmacy at TX A&M Kingsville is set to start upper-level classes in Fall 2005
http://www.tamuk.edu/pharmacy/information/timeline.shtml

and the School of Pharmacy at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio is set to start upper-level classes in Fall 2006.
http://www.uiw.edu/alumni/newsletter/2004-02.html

I grew up in South Texas and it is pretty exciting that the first professional school to be established in South Texas is the pharmacy school at TX A&M Kingsville. Very cool!

Shannon