SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some more questions about SABA. Is it true they have no affiliations with residencies in New York and New Jersey? It seems liek I keep hearing only with the big 3 (St.G, Ross, AUC) that you'll have the best shot at getting a residency in ALL states.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopedoc,
As far as NY goes, Saba has several affiliations in Brooklyn for core rotations, and I did electives in Queens along with SGU, Ross, NYCOM, and a couple of Cornell students.
We do not do residency in NY though...but there are exceptions:

1. VA hospitals are OK because they are federal. The Mt. Sinai program at the Bronx VA seems to be popular with Saba students. There is also a VA Hosp. right near Brooklyn Hospital (where we do core rotations).

2. (What I am currently doing.) I am doing my residency in NJ but my hospital is a Mt Sinai affiliate, so I will be spending up to 6 months a year at Mt. Sinai in Manhattan. I will probably be moving to Hoboken soon so my commute to both hospitals will be relatively painless. Many of the hospitals here in Northern NJ have affiliations with NY hospitals.

NJ is just the opposite of NY. We can't do rotations here...but MANY of us do residency here. NJ is very "foreign friendly" when it comes to residency.

I would also like to note that full licensure is available to us in BOTH states.

If you want to get an Idea of where Saba grads are doing residency, just go to the Saba website. It lists the names of the graduates as well as the hospitals and specialties each grad. is in.

Good luck in your decision!

[This message has been edited by Rockndoc (edited 05-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rockndoc (edited 05-26-2000).]

Rockndoc,

Thanks for the info. You answered my question as to whether or not Saba students can get licensed in NY. I was confused about that. So am I correct in saying that CA is the ONLY state that Saba students are not permitted to gain licensure, as of yet? If that is the only negative thing about Saba, it seems that it has the best deal as it's only approximately $50+ to go to school there.

Hopedoc said<<<<<I was confused about that. So am I correct in saying that CA is the ONLY state that Saba students are not permitted to gain licensure, as of yet?>>>>>

I really only checked out the East Coast (north and south) because that is where I planned on living. There are absolutely NO licensure restrictions from Maine down to Florida. I never checked out states like Nebraska or North Dakota, for example. As far as I know, CA is the only state.

Also, I have heard from students from other schools that whenever the CA is threatened by lawyer, they cave in and grant licenses to individual doctors from unapproved schools.

Hopedoc said<<<<<If that is the only negative thing about Saba, it seems that it has the best deal as it's only approximately $50+ to go to school there.>>>>>

As I have stated in the past, every school has it's negatives. The only other major negative I can think of is the size of the island. While it is a very beautiful island, it is only 5 square miles with only 1200 people on it. I would sometimes get tired of seeing the same people all the time.

This is not a complete negative though. An island where everybody knows everybody is like living in a small town. There is NO crime (people leave their keys in their cars,) and people treat you like part of the family. They are very friendly, and are always willing to help you out if you need it.

[This message has been edited by Rockndoc (edited 05-31-2000).]