Saba .... worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure some may make excuses, rationalize, or others may state opinions based on years of practicing medicine.

Take any negative thoughts or insecurities you may have about studying abroad and turn them into positive energy to study harder, think positively and succeed.

Medical textbooks contain the same general content no matter which language, which country.

The hip bone is connected to the leg bone, leg bone to the foot bone, you get the drift. Is Krebs cycle different in the Caribbean? or Europe, or Africa, or Asia? I think not.

The many who had a dream that were my classmates and friends 20 years ago in the Dom Republic were not stupid people. am sure some/many may have not done well in organic chemistry in college, but today are prominent physicians, having mastered the subject matter.

People and human nature are quick to criticize and condemn others. Those who do the criticizing should be quite sure they are perfect human beings first before the first punch is thrown.

My high school grade advisor basically told me I couldn't do anything with my life based on having done poorly in ALL non science courses and reading.

Imagine failing social studies, english, spanish, but strangely enough high scores in science and reading. Science was the only thing I liked and found interesting. I failed to see the importance of studying something I didn't like, so to hell with it.

When I applied myself in college I made the so called deans list.
I never applied in the US because my family did not have nearly enough money to cover tuition and I was also negetively impacted by the critics. I am 100% fluent in Spanish today.

I recall (in those days) one such Phd advisor shooting down my hopes and dreams while sucking on a cigarette and choking.

One thing people tend to do is project their own doubts insecurities unto others by telling them they won't succeed or don't even try.

The truth is you will never know if you can do something if you don't try. You'll just be dreaming someone elses dream but not your own.

Today I spoke to a classmate from 20 years ago. Today he and all of his brothers and sisters (4)are successful MD's licensed in the USA. His parents were poor Cuban immigrants. They did little college if any in the US but studied in the DR. Another graduate a cardiovascular surgeon no less.

To the people that say you won't succeed I say "screw you"

Unfortunately some of the people you might expect to draw hope and support from are of negative impact.

If you need some inspiration you might think about a man who became the president of the very country that imprisoned him for 25 years; Nelson Mandela

"Believe in yourself as much as you doubt" Bono
a man devoid of even a college degree, yet Harvard graduation honored guest speaker. How did that happen?

smf
EM/IM

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Badkarma25
As for the whole argument on Saba, I think someone's earlier comments sum it up quite nicely...the person who graduates last in his/her class is still called doctor....and to put it frankly, GPA is about the poorest and least accurate predictor of who will or won't be successful as a doctor. Sure, GPA determines in many cases who will be ALLOWED to be a doctor, but I know many people with high GPA's who are going to make terrible physicians who are more interested in the money and the title than the bread and butter of the job. If anyone else has applied to Saba, I guess I'll see you there if I get in.....I'm looking forward to the opportunity, and I think anyone who feels apprehensive about attending a foreign/carribean school because of the stigma that they feel will be attached to them should seriously consider a different profession because you graduate and get that degree, no one is really going to care where you got it so long as you can do the job as well as anyone else. Good luck to everyone.

I agree!