SABA Medical University and Potential Future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you attend SABA if its the only way to have a chance at medicine?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

APraxon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this, and have been reading up heavily on the forums section. I am planning on applying to SABA university this August and if I get in, I would enter the class of May 2017. The reason I am planning on this is because I am a Canadian Citizen but did my undergraduate in the U.S. on a visa. Which means I cannot really go to med school in the U.S. and Canada has too high of requirements for me to apply. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.62

MCAT: 498

Chem/Phys: 129

Crit Read: 124

Bio/Biochem: 124

Psych/Soc: 121

Now here are what my questions are:

1.) Are there any schools in the U.S. that can be possible alternatives for a Non-U.S. citizen. This means international fees and acceptance rates. I know there are a few, but many of them are either too expensive or have higher requirements.

2.) How much would SABA actually cost? I have calculated an approximation of 150k for the tuition and 50k for the housing and everything for 4 years. Is this accurate?

3.) If anyone knows the exact statistics or has experience in this, what are the chances of getting residency match in the U.S. as a Canadian citizen? Also, what are the chances of matching into Canada? I've read the NRMP and the CaRMP but those are ALL international schools not SABA specifically.

4.) What exactly are major disadvantages of SABA Caribbean medical school aside from lower residency match rates and having to be in the Caribbean?

5.) As more and more people are applying to medicine fields, is it possible that they may stop accepting international students overall? Furthermore, (sorry for bringing politics into this) if Trump is elected president of the United States of America, I find it to only reduce my chances of finding residency in the states. In which case, can someone recommend me alternative regions around the world that I can practice medicine via graduating from SABA? I wish to come back to the U.S. because of family, but if I cannot, I would be happier being allowed to work anywhere else where English will do.

Thanks for all the help! I know its a bit long but I'm kind of confused as to try out SABA or not. At this moment, it is possibly one of the only options I have into medical school. I would try other Caribbean schools, but I don't want to financially dig myself a hole too deep.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your first time taking the MCAT? If so, retake. Your GPA is competitive for MD schools on average. Don't rush this.

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this, and have been reading up heavily on the forums section. I am planning on applying to SABA university this August and if I get in, I would enter the class of May 2017. The reason I am planning on this is because I am a Canadian Citizen but did my undergraduate in the U.S. on a visa. Which means I cannot really go to med school in the U.S. and Canada has too high of requirements for me to apply. Here are my stats:

1.) Are there any schools in the U.S. that can be possible alternatives for a Non-U.S. citizen. This means international fees and acceptance rates. I know there are a few, but many of them are either too expensive or have higher requirements.
- YES. Just spend 5 minutes searching on sdn and you'll find your answer.

2.) How much would SABA actually cost? I have calculated an approximation of 150k for the tuition and 50k for the housing and everything for 4 years. Is this accurate?
- Tuition increases every semester. Keep that in mind. But ~200k sounds about right.

3.) If anyone knows the exact statistics or has experience in this, what are the chances of getting residency match in the U.S. as a Canadian citizen? Also, what are the chances of matching into Canada? I've read the NRMP and the CaRMP but those are ALL international schools not SABA specifically.
- Caribbean grads match at ~15-20% based on CaRMS. CaRMS doesn't specify these stats by school so it's impossible to tell how SABA grads did specifically.

4.) What exactly are major disadvantages of SABA Caribbean medical school aside from lower residency match rates and having to be in the Caribbean?
- Again, do a search on sdn.

5.) As more and more people are applying to medicine fields, is it possible that they may stop accepting international students overall? Furthermore, (sorry for bringing politics into this) if Trump is elected president of the United States of America, I find it to only reduce my chances of finding residency in the states. In which case, can someone recommend me alternative regions around the world that I can practice medicine via graduating from SABA? I wish to come back to the U.S. because of family, but if I cannot, I would be happier being allowed to work anywhere else where English will do.
- UK/Ireland/Europe is out because you're not a EU citizen. Australia/NZ is out thanks to their "internship crisis". May be India?

Thanks for all the help! I know its a bit long but I'm kind of confused as to try out SABA or not. At this moment, it is possibly one of the only options I have into medical school. I would try other Caribbean schools, but I don't want to financially dig myself a hole too deep.