"RX void after X"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiteAidRockStar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone dropped off a C2 last night 5 minutes before closing. They wanted it filled that minute, but I told them I'd have it ready tomorrow morning.

The RX said "void after 2-28-2018"
That's today's date!!!
So I filled it by the deadline on the RX. I'm not sure if I can legally sell it tomorrow though. What do you think?

Would you let the patient pick up the RX on 3-1-2018???

This was in California if it makes a difference for law purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the rx is not valid anymore

Usually "void after" is the date the medication will not be medically related to the condition they were seen for. Best to not sell after that date or refer to MD for an exception if required.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's one of the things you can call and get "corrected" by phone...I guess you could try calling and "correct" the "void by" date.

I would assume the "void after", refers to the "fill by" date. After all, who goes through to check a prescription that is already ready, to make sure the RX isn't expired (think of CII's with a 90 day expiration, if you fill it 2 days before it expires, and you throw it in the bin.....nobody is going to remember or check if the patient comes in 4 days later for it.)

Maybe this isn't legally correct, but realistically, this is how everybody does it, and if it wasn't legally correct, I'm sure issues with it would have been brought up by the DEA.

Reactions: 2 users
If it was filled and bagged before expire then let it be imho.

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume the "void after", refers to the "fill by" date. After all, who goes through to check a prescription that is already ready, to make sure the RX isn't expired (think of CII's with a 90 day expiration, if you fill it 2 days before it expires, and you throw it in the bin.....nobody is going to remember or check if the patient comes in 4 days later for it.)

Maybe this isn't legally correct, but realistically, this is how everybody does it, and if it wasn't legally

Maybe this isn't legally correct, but realistically, this is how everybody does it, and if it wasn't legally correct, I'm sure issues with it would have been brought up by the DEA.
"void after" refers to dispense date which may be different from fill date. CVS system will actually flag you in the register if you try to sell an expired rx even though it was filled before the expiration date.

Reactions: 1 user
"void after" refers to dispense date which may be different from fill date. CVS system will actually flag you in the register if you try to sell an expired rx even though it was filled before the expiration date.

CVS system flags expired C2s based on the date of issue/expiration dates (blocks @ the register & appears on the day 14 list). I am not too sure this system can detect a void after date that is not based on date of issue/date written; this void after date is not a parameter for data entry...at least in my state. Nothing like waiting until the last minute...red flags for sure