RVUCOM vs CUSOM vs WesternU Comp Pomona (2017-2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medart17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was fortunate to receive acceptances from RVUCOM, CUSOM, and WesterU COMP - Pomona this cycle. However, I loved my interview day and what I have learned about all three schools proving my decision in placing a single deposit to be quite difficult. I am an NC resident applying to DO and MD programs, in which I am still waiting to hear back from some MD interview decisions and have turned down other DO acceptances. I would truly appreciate any feedback you all may have about these schools!

My main pros & cons of each are:

RVUCOM
Pros
-Great curriculum validated w/ top board scores & match list (+ USMLE required 1st year)
-impressive facilities with on-site clinic and affiliations with hospitals nearby (i.e. Skyridge)
-awesome location, as near a family member and love the outdoors and Denver area/population
-small class size and students seemed generally happy during interview day & later discussions
Cons
-no current simulation lab, but is apparently *in the works*
-for-profit status, which students say is not a problem but I worry for funding and stigma, etc.
-curriculum longer than most DO schools, where start earlier and finish later

CUSOM
Pros
-Great curriculum validated by board scores (both USMLE & COMLEX) and single match list
-impressive facilities and faculty, who seem very welcoming
-close to immediate family and friends
-small class size and students seem very happy
Cons
-Very new school with mandatory lecture & dress code
-No curricular longitudinal tracks or additional programs to offer as well as limited research opportunity (although, it is required in curriculum & near triangle)
-Somewhat isolated campus in very rural NC area

WesternU COMP
Pros
-Tons of tracks and additional programs to offer to enrich curriculum
-Well established school and good reputation with competitive board scores, allowing lots of networking in student interest groups as well
-Enjoy location--far enough away from LA, near Claremont and not far from national parks, have family/friends in same state
Cons
-concern for complaints in areas of curriculum and, as stated by students, likely change to curriculum in near future (1 to 2 years), but unknown details
-large class size, ~270 students
-not a lot of research opportunity near campus, but can likely find clinical research at nearby hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

RVU by a mile

No mandatory attendance + excellent board scores with curriculum that teaches toward USMLE + excellent match list (this is more student dependent but still something to look at) + not much OMM (from what I gather)

Reactions: 7 users
RVU by a mile

No mandatory attendance + excellent board scores with curriculum that teaches toward USMLE + excellent match list (this is more student dependent but still something to look at) + not much OMM (from what I gather)

I appreciate your awesome straightforward answer! :) Any particular reasoning as to why a "no" for the other two, other than what you already noted?

I appreciate your awesome straightforward answer! :) Any particular reasoning as to why a "no" for the other two, other than what you already noted?

RVU by a mile

COMP has a crapload of OMM hrs in their curriculum. Trust me about this one. You will be thankful during your second year when you have more time to study for board and real classes instead of your OMM department cruelly hounding you w/ extra bs in order to stay relevant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
RVU by a mile

Agree, the first thing he listed was all I needed. RVU knows what they are doing. Wish I actually applied there, but I was pretty clueless in the app cycle on the differences between DO schools other than mandatory vs non mandatory attendance.

OP, RVU goals align with that of its students very obviously. That will work to your benefit tremendously. Lots of schools pay lip service to getting students ready for boards but in reality all they care about is enrollment and meeting the minimum standards for COCA accreditation. RVU has a great track record and isn't in the midst of some 'curriculum change' that other schools are constantly doing to try and avoid addressing their fundamental issues (class sizes too large, resources low, too many mandatory activities not allowing enough time for self study, not enough good rotation sites etc.)

Any school with a large class size is a demerit in my book. That means the faculty and staff are that much less invested in you.
Any school with a Large (greater than basically 30 people) masters program is a demerit (they are stealing your resources).
Any school without years of match lists is risky.
Any school with mandatory attendance is a demerit.

OP shouldn't need any more reason to pick RVU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

CUSOM has mandatory attendance plus the variable answers about the earphone thing. Western has a lot of OMM which can be a time sink.

The one thing I wish I realized was the whole 'contact hours' thing when picking a school. Don't go to a school with high contact hours, because that means less study time for yourself, and also a lot of fluff or repetitive classes. My school has a high amount of contact hours and I am dying because of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I was fortunate to receive acceptances from RVUCOM, CUSOM, and WesterU COMP - Pomona this cycle. However, I loved my interview day and what I have learned about all three schools proving my decision in placing a single deposit to be quite difficult. I am an NC resident applying to DO and MD programs, in which I am still waiting to hear back from some MD interview decisions and have turned down other DO acceptances. I would truly appreciate any feedback you all may have about these schools!

RVUCOM
Pros
-Great curriculum validated w/ top board scores & match list (+ USMLE required 1st year)
-impressive facilities with on-site clinic and affiliations with hospitals nearby (i.e. Skyridge)
-awesome location, as near a family member and love the outdoors and Denver area/population
-small class size and students seemed generally happy during interview day & later discussions
Cons
-for-profit status, which students say is not a problem but I worry for funding and stigma, etc.

CUSOM
Pros
-Great curriculum validated by board scores (both USMLE & COMLEX) and single match list
Cons
-No curricular longitudinal tracks or additional programs to offer as well as limited research opportunity (although, it is required in curriculum & near triangle)

WesternU COMP
Pros
-Well established school and good reputation with competitive board scores, allowing lots of networking in student interest groups as well
-Enjoy location--far enough away from LA, near Claremont and not far from national parks, have family/friends in same state
Cons
-concern for complaints in areas of curriculum and, as stated by students, likely change to curriculum in near future (1 to 2 years), but unknown details
-not a lot of research opportunity near campus, but can likely find clinical research at nearby hospitals

How close do you live to CUSOM. Also are you in a rural part of NC or main city like Raleigh or Charlotte?

I'm happy with COMP FWIW, but I also feel too much time is spent on OMM. However, that's rumored to change next year, so keep that in mind. Congrats on your acceptances.

CUSOM has mandatory attendance plus the variable answers about the earphone thing. Western has a lot of OMM which can be a time sink.

The one thing I wish I realized was the whole 'contact hours' thing when picking a school. Don't go to a school with high contact hours, because that means less study time for yourself, and also a lot of fluff or repetitive classes. My school has a high amount of contact hours and I am dying because of it.

Makes sense. Assuming you have a simulation lab at your school, do you think that RVU not having one would serve as a limitation though?

I'm happy with COMP FWIW, but I also feel too much time is spent on OMM. However, that's rumored to change next year, so keep that in mind. Congrats on your acceptances.

Good to know! I'm worried that the entire curriculum may change as well...which I'm sure will be a good change overall, but I would prefer to not be in the first class enduring its loose ends, etc.

Makes sense. Assuming you have a simulation lab at your school, do you think that RVU not having one would serve as a limitation though?

Not sure of it myself since I haven't started clinicals but there is a quote from a member long ago from a tread with the same question.

Most schools prepare you well for clinicals even if you don't have on campus sim labs (i.e. they'll have workshops, bring in sims for a day or two, etc.). Many schools even have a clinical course the semester before 3rd year during which you cover all the important things you need beforehand (and that's in addition to the basic clinical skills/history & physical examination courses all schools have usually throughout the pre-clinical education).

Honestly, don't worry about this unless all the other significantly more important details about the schools are literally identical.

I believe you will be fine though.

I'm in the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), so about 2 hours from CUSOM

I ask because if you're ok with living rural, CUSOM might be a great choice for you. They've recruited some faculty from Duke (and UNC?), their curriculum is really great (better than my school I think)... but man I can't do rural and the dress code kills me. Mandatory attendance also sucks but I would've been ok with that. Anyways, CUSOM has a lot of affiliated residencies that they've started up (including a Derm residency!) and it does include non-PC fields like Gen surg and Ob/gyn. Also a girl from there last year got into Derm at Case Western which is amazing for a first year match list. It's new but it's definitely strong and I suspect only going to get better with time.

Also does RVU really have good rotation sites? I know they have sky ridge but what else? CUSOM's rotation sites seem to be solid and well-planted. The problem with CUSOM is is that if you're not from there, they don't offer much aways and are pretty rigid with their rotation sites. You get great training but not as much flexibility to do audition rotations. So it's great if you really want to stay there long-term (or at least for residency) b/c you're networking with them.

What was your feelings/vibe out of these 3 schools. I'd recommend WesternU for location only... if you want to try out CA and be in nice weather, but don't see any other benefits of WesternU over the other schools. (I think CUSOM will def. prep better for boards than WesternU).

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure of it myself since I haven't started clinicals but there is a quote from a member long ago from a tread with the same question.

I believe you will be fine though.

I really appreciate ya digging for that quote, and that is true as I have seen sim lab conferences etc. featured in their pamphlets provided on the interview day

Members don't see this ad :)
I ask because if you're ok with living rural, CUSOM might be a great choice for you. They've recruited some faculty from Duke (and UNC?), their curriculum is really great (better than my school I think)... but man I can't do rural and the dress code kills me. Mandatory attendance also sucks but I would've been ok with that. Anyways, CUSOM has a lot of affiliated residencies that they've started up (including a Derm residency!) and it does include non-PC fields like Gen surg and Ob/gyn. Also a girl from there last year got into Derm at Case Western which is amazing for a first year match list. It's new but it's definitely strong and I suspect only going to get better with time.

Also does RVU really have good rotation sites? I know they have sky ridge but what else? CUSOM's rotation sites seem to be solid and well-planted. The problem with CUSOM is is that if you're not from there, they don't offer much aways and are pretty rigid with their rotation sites. You get great training but not as much flexibility to do audition rotations. So it's great if you really want to stay there long-term (or at least for residency) b/c you're networking with them.

What was your feelings/vibe out of these 3 schools. I'd recommend WesternU for location only... if you want to try out CA and be in nice weather, but don't see any other benefits of WesternU over the other schools. (I think CUSOM will def. prep better for boards than WesternU).

Man, thank you for the super detailed response ! And yeah the faculty and their first match list was definitely impressive. I'm really somewhat on the fence about living in a rural community, at least in a very southern area, for medical school. Although, I grew up going to rural school so i'd be accustomed. RVU is also located in a rural area. However, I know the benefit of it is that you have less "distractions" from your studies. CUSOM's undergrad is not far either, which I *believe* I would be able to use their facilities as well--I would just need to find ways to get my mind off school/stress and not go crazy in the middle of essentially nowhere.

It's unclear exactly what hospitals are affiliated with RVU for rotation sites other than hearing about Skyridge. They listed their locations, with the majority of spots in Denver, CO springs, Pueblo, Greeley, and Boulder/Longmont.

The vibe I got with CUSOM was unexpected--and a little cloudy given that I drove a couple hours the morning of interview day. I assumed I'd feel quite a bit of "southern comfort" vibes, but upon meeting the students and faculty, I was very impressed and even more so once hearing about their match lists/seeing facilities, and future plans with their large funding/high accreditation. The students were welcoming and interviewees were impressive (we were one of first interview groups) but couldn't get a feel whether I'd completely fit in or not.

The vibe with RVU was welcoming and different, also a little cloudy given that I trekked out from Boulder that morning. The students seemed happy and wanting to chat with us, definitely felt a stronger connection with some of the interviewees and students than at CUSOM--which, however, was facilitated by the fact that our interview day consisted of our small group of interviewees sitting mainly in one room altogether for hours. Couldn't get a huge feel for the students but those that I spoke with, including one of the class presidents, were welcoming, bright and seemed happy. I loved the campus and on-site clinic and definitely a huge fan of the area, as i've visited boulder/denver/NPs multiple times.

COMP I got to meet some students the night prior to the interview, which was awesome. I didn't vibe with the surrounding area of Pomona nor the campus super well, but the students were great and I know I like Claremont (visited previously). I liked the interview itself and the few faculty I met, but not so much that our interview group was huge (50+ individuals) and I found it hard to really get to know others--which could represent how it'd go for me in their large class size as well. Definitely loved the programs they offered though and saw myself enriching my curriculum/experience there.

Man, thank you for the super detailed response ! And yeah the faculty and their first match list was definitely impressive. I'm really somewhat on the fence about living in a rural community, at least in a very southern area, for medical school. Although, I grew up going to rural school so i'd be accustomed. RVU is also located in a rural area. However, I know the benefit of it is that you have less "distractions" from your studies. CUSOM's undergrad is not far either, which I *believe* I would be able to use their facilities as well--I would just need to find ways to get my mind off school/stress and not go crazy in the middle of essentially nowhere.

It's unclear exactly what hospitals are affiliated with RVU for rotation sites other than hearing about Skyridge. They listed their locations, with the majority of spots in Denver, CO springs, Pueblo, Greeley, and Boulder/Longmont.

The vibe I got with CUSOM was unexpected--and a little cloudy given that I drove a couple hours the morning of interview day. I assumed I'd feel quite a bit of "southern comfort" vibes, but upon meeting the students and faculty, I was very impressed and even more so once hearing about their match lists/seeing facilities, and future plans with their large funding/high accreditation. The students were welcoming and interviewees were impressive (we were one of first interview groups) but couldn't get a feel whether I'd completely fit in or not.

The vibe with RVU was welcoming and different, also a little cloudy given that I trekked out from Boulder that morning. The students seemed happy and wanting to chat with us, definitely felt a stronger connection with some of the interviewees and students than at CUSOM--which, however, was facilitated by the fact that our interview day consisted of our small group of interviewees sitting mainly in one room altogether for hours. Couldn't get a huge feel for the students but those that I spoke with, including one of the class presidents, were welcoming, bright and seemed happy. I loved the campus and on-site clinic and definitely a huge fan of the area, as i've visited boulder/denver/NPs multiple times.

COMP I got to meet some students the night prior to the interview, which was awesome. I didn't vibe with the surrounding area of Pomona nor the campus super well, but the students were great and I know I like Claremont (visited previously). I liked the interview itself and the few faculty I met, but not so much that our interview group was huge (50+ individuals) and I found it hard to really get to know others--which could represent how it'd go for me in their large class size as well. Definitely loved the programs they offered though and saw myself enriching my curriculum/experience there.

I think of rvu's location as more suburban

Reactions: 1 users

Don't base a school off of the interviewees... that's totally hit or miss and the some of the same ppl are probably interviewing at all the schools. I think you're overthinking it a bit.... where do you feel comfortable? You don't have to answer it here, but you can feel when somewhere feels good or not. Not necessarily by what you see or hear, but just gut instincts kick in. There were some schools I interviewed at that were good on paper, but my gut feeling told me no. I always say I'd turn down KCU for a new DO school like ACOM even though KCU is better in almost every regard... tl;dr it's important to be happy where you are and "fit" is a real concept that applicants tend to forget.

WesternU COMP
Pros
Cons
1. The tracks are a waste of time. They don't enrich anything in the curriculum.
2. Board scores are not great here.
3. The area is horrible here
4. Curriculum does suck. Might change soon.
5. Class size is 220 You might be thinking of the additional podiatry students that attend lectures, but makes no difference.
6. Actually, there is enough (basic science) research for anyone interested.

1. The tracks are a waste of time. They don't enrich anything in the curriculum.
2. Board scores are not great here.
3. The area is horrible here
4. Curriculum does suck. Might change soon.
5. Class size is 220 You might be thinking of the additional podiatry students that attend lectures, but makes no difference.
6. Actually, there is enough (basic science) research for anyone interested.

The big pro of WesternU is if you're going for primary care in CA and for Psych at Loma Linda.

The only good thing about COMP is the quality of SoCal chicks attending the medical, podiatry, and dental schools.

RVU and don’t look back.

I would’ve given a kidney to go there. Medical school near the Rockies?!?!?!? Yes please.

I'd put CUSOM at #2 though. I lived in NC for almost 25 years, and CUSOM is in a great spot. You're right near Raleigh, and the weather is great 8 months out of the year.

Hey guys,

RVUCOM
Pros
Cons

CUSOM
Pros
Cons

WesternU COMP
Pros
Cons

WesternU teachers and curriculum are awful. They’re making great strides to improve their curriculum beginning next year but ultimately a lot of the profs are so awful it’s a wonder they still have a job. Plus Pomona is sketchy af

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you like Persian chicks... haha

I admit that is a plus, there’s a reason The Beach Boys made a song about girls from Cali. Though NSU has some gorgeous people too.

WesternU teachers and curriculum are awful. They’re making great strides to improve their curriculum beginning next year but ultimately a lot of the profs are so awful it’s a wonder they still have a job. Plus Pomona is sketchy af

Explain how are they awful...

Have you never had a bad teacher in your life? Do I really need to explain this concept?

I asked this question in order to clarify your position since I'm an MSII vs your status as a premed. A lot of people blame the quality of the teaching for their poor results. From what I have gathered about the COMP, the teaching from the PhDs is below average to average, but that's the same issue with almost 80-90% of med schools out there. The biggest problems with COMP are the 4-5 hrs/wk of OMM labs along with other OMM bs, and the curriculum not tailored toward the USMLE. In fact, their curriculum is very dumbed down by focusing on helping students pass boards vs excelling boards.

I asked this question in order to clarify your position since I'm an MSII vs your status as a premed. A lot of people blame the quality of the teaching for their poor results. From what I have gathered about the COMP, the teaching from the PhDs is below average to average, but that's the same issue with almost 80-90% of med schools out there. The biggest problems with COMP are the 4-5 hrs/wk of OMM labs along with other OMM bs, and the curriculum not tailored toward the USMLE. In fact, their curriculum is very dumbed down by focusing on helping students pass boards vs excelling boards.

I’m in their SMP, we have the exact same professors. We even took anatomy with the med students. It’s disingenuous to say it’s that way everywhere, it’s the go-to excuse and it’s not true.

I’m in their SMP, we have the exact same professors. We even took anatomy with the med students. It’s disingenuous to say it’s that way everywhere, it’s the go-to excuse and it’s not true.

Your personal experience w/ Anatomy and Biochemistry isn't unique to COMP. In fact, if you read more about discussions from other medical school students, the exp is shared by many others.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. If you think the anatomy professors are bad, wait till you get to second semester or second year (it's not all bad, fyi). COMP has a pretty decent-to-great anatomy faculty I thought. Man, people really love to hate COMP, but I sincerely doubt too many other DO schools out there do any better or even equal as far as curriculum goes.

+1 for RVU, rocky mountains + denver nearby cant be beat

Not to mention they've been killing it lately

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. If you think the anatomy professors are bad, wait till you get to second semester or second year (it's not all bad, fyi). COMP has a pretty decent-to-great anatomy faculty I thought. Man, people really love to hate COMP, but I sincerely doubt too many other DO schools out there do any better or even equal as far as curriculum goes.

1st year here at COMP here. I was thoroughly impressed with the anatomy curriculum at COMP, honestly. Mostly because I took undergrad anatomy and that was the most unorganized pointless thing ever. The flow and continuity between professors was really great--don't get me wrong, anatomy isn't easy, but they do a lot for us. Now that we are moving on to biochem and mol bio, there are DEFINITELY some professors that we have that should NEVER step foot in a classroom. You really can't control for that though--there will be bad apples everywhere I imagine. However, OMM is a huge time-sink. Basically, it shows up at least 4 hrs a week and then can ramp up to quite a bit more before practicals. Also, the grading system for OMM is pretty ridiculous (i.e. random graders that are super easy and some that are intentionally cruel). COMP is apparently making moves to change some of this (the merger works its magic in many ways) but like others have said, we don't know when. Minimizing OMM should be a priority if location is NOT a priority.

I just want to get this off my chest:

OMM can GTFO. I'm going to be behind on my board prep study schedule due to an upcoming OMM practical and exam. Like I said before, OMM doesn't help with board prep in any way. If anything, it's a hindrance toward a fantastic Step score.

OMM can GTFO. I'm going to be behind on my board prep study schedule due to an upcoming OMM practical and exam. Like I said before, OMM doesn't help with board prep in any way. If anything, it's a hindrance toward a fantastic Step score.
I thought I was neurotic.... I haven't been able to TOUCH board-prep in the last three weeks. Probably won't again until Two weeks from now. Sucks, but what can you do.

At this rate, once all us current DO students start to take over the DO world plus the merger and everything, OMM won't exist in the future. After all of the trouble it gives us, its no wonder we never want to use it. Like really?! Why do the exams for OMM have to be SO brutal? That literally pushes us all against it. Also, I guarantee even A.T. Still would be like wtf to the whole OMM education process and how inefficient and wasteful it is. The sad thing is, there seems to be parts that could be useful but the schools do a horrible job at making it practical or useful in any way.

RVU as for-profit school: this means they gotta be meeting all their marks in order to succeed. They've graduated a number of classes so far, and each one is getting better than the last.

I've attended 6 schools post high school. Now I'm at RVU. Its admin runs things extremely well and students have good performance. Everything exists there for the medical students, and the staff and faculty have little obligation outside to the needs of the students. School is great in a pretty sweet (albeit expensive) area.

Reactions: 5 users
I researched Pomona and RVU a lot this cycle, and may or may not have interviewed at one of the programs.

This is RVU by a mile, maybe three.

Consistent with everything I've seen and heard. You forgot insanely high tuition and no real plan for adapting to the merger.

Thank you for all of your insight.

Unfortunately I was told from a reliable source that RVU-CO M1 and M2 curriculum will consist of 40% video lecture provided by the UT branch campus, with the other 60% from CO campus starting this upcoming year. CO campus is also opening a PA program this upcoming year, which means the professors' time and potentially other resources will be more divided. I am not sure how much and whether my preferences will change once in med school, but I definitely as of now highly prefer in-person lecture and value professor office hours. Do you all find this a red flag? Also given that CUSOM would not have this issue (although mandatory lecture), with professors from Duke, Johns Hopkins and other impressive institutions that would be fully devoted to the med school students.

Unfortunately I was told from a reliable source that RVU-CO M1 and M2 curriculum will consist of 40% video lecture provided by the UT branch campus, with the other 60% from CO campus starting this upcoming year. CO campus is also opening a PA program this upcoming year, which means the professors' time and potentially other resources will be more divided. I am not sure how much and whether my preferences will change once in med school, but I definitely as of now highly prefer in-person lecture and value professor office hours. Do you all find this a red flag? Also given that CUSOM would not have this issue (although mandatory lecture), with professors from Duke, Johns Hopkins and other impressive institutions that would be fully devoted to the med school students.

Your concerns actually are valid, but I would still go to a place that doesn't have mandatory attendance at lectures. I also enjoyed the ambience of in person lectures but I definitely wasn't one of the few and the proud who consistently went to lecture all 2 years. Most med students would end up regretting going to a place with required attendance more than they would regret not enough office hours.

Your concerns actually are valid, but I would still go to a place that doesn't have mandatory attendance at lectures. I also enjoyed the ambience of in person lectures but I definitely wasn't one of the few and the proud who consistently went to lecture all 2 years. Most med students would end up regretting going to a place with required attendance more than they would regret not enough office hours.

This. Although there's a lot more with Pomona that gives pause.

Agree, the first thing he listed was all I needed. RVU knows what they are doing. Wish I actually applied there, but I was pretty clueless in the app cycle on the differences between DO schools other than mandatory vs non mandatory attendance.

OP, RVU goals align with that of its students very obviously. That will work to your benefit tremendously. Lots of schools pay lip service to getting students ready for boards but in reality all they care about is enrollment and meeting the minimum standards for COCA accreditation. RVU has a great track record and isn't in the midst of some 'curriculum change' that other schools are constantly doing to try and avoid addressing their fundamental issues (class sizes too large, resources low, too many mandatory activities not allowing enough time for self study, not enough good rotation sites etc.)

Any school with a large class size is a demerit in my book. That means the faculty and staff are that much less invested in you.
Any school with a Large (greater than basically 30 people) masters program is a demerit (they are stealing your resources).
Any school without years of match lists is risky.
Any school with mandatory attendance is a demerit.

OP shouldn't need any more reason to pick RVU.
Can you expand on your statement about schools with a masters program? A lot of DO schools have SMPs associated with them. At my school, our SMP can get pretty large. Does this really have an impact on the teaching?

I consider this too be no problem if ran like Pomona. The lectures are live with a huge screen for the lecturer and one for the PowerPoint. You get to use a microphone to ask questions. Office hours can be set up through Skype and honestly you'll barely need them compared to undergrad. Going to a place with mandatory attendance is the equivalent of hell on earth for most Med students

Reactions: 3 users
You forgot insanely high tuition

Not advocating for one or the other, but RVU’s tuition is only $3-$4k less than Western’s. They’re in the same ballpark.

Now AZCOM and CCOM, those are insanely high (close to $70k) and on another level.

Just some things to keep in mind.

-Simulation labs do not matter. It is an "oh neat" type of thing but barely has any impact on your training (this is coming from a school that is super gun-ho about simulation labs)
-I disagree that class size should be a big consideration. You can easily make friends in a small vs large class, and honestly, the extra "attention" you would supposedly get would be in MS1 and MS2, which isn't that important anyways since most of pre-clinicals is self-taught. It 100% doesn't matter by the time you are in 3rd year since everyone splits apart (even in big schools) and you are pretty much in small groups with your attending/residents (with a lot of 1 on 1 time).
-Location and distance to family is very important. Weigh this more heavily if all else is equal. For you, it seems like this is a big plus for RVU.
-Mandatory lecture is a big no-no.
-Try to review the quality of rotations. This is extremely extremely hard to do as a pre-med since you have zero idea what you are looking for. A bad MS1/MS2 curriculum, you can recover through effort. However, bad third/fourth year rotations, you can't recover from that. I don't care how hard you "work" to overcome bad rotations. Those are the foundational years for you as a doctor and if you have ****ty rotations where you are shadowing the preceptor (which becomes no different than pre-med shadowing), you go into residency with massive deficiencies. There is a reason why IMG have to score 240s compared to MDs with 220s for the same specialties. It applies to MD vs DO rotations as well. You are going to get a lot of advice from MS1/MS2s on this board who only have a limited perspective of medical school. Do not forget the other half of your education. If I had to have you remember only one thing from this list, it'd be this.
-Yes, board scores are still king. This must be taken into consideration, especially since specialties will be getting more competitive in the future. Sucks that you still have to play this game after getting into medical school, but that's how it is.

Last edited:
Western COMP actively worked against your board preparation. If they update their curriculum and cut out all fluff, I would say it's a fine school to attend. Sure, there is way too much OMM, but that's DO school for you.

Can you expand on your statement about schools with a masters program? A lot of DO schools have SMPs associated with them. At my school, our SMP can get pretty large. Does this really have an impact on the teaching?
A large masters student class will change the dynamics of the individual classes they are allowed to take with you. They may be weaker students overall, but thier class load is much lighter and they only have one or two classes they are trying to impress in.

This leads to them spending alot more time with professors and TAs of those classes, which not only elevates thier grade (decreasing chances of obscure questions getting dropped etc), but it decreases availability of those resources (faculty and TA) to you when you have time to use them.

For instance, at my school the fellows would release a schedule for lab walkthrus the weekend before the test. The only issue was they would release it during or right after labs for the med students, but suprise, the masters students didnt have that lab and would sign up most if not all the slots before you even had a chance.

Also consider tutor availability, I, for instance, needed a tutor and asked for one but wasn't given one cause there were already too many students with tutors (i.e. they didnt have enough for a giant master class and the med students), and I had passed one of the written or practicals exams so I was lower priority. This really ended up burning me later.

So yes a large masters class is definately a demerit unless you want to be in that masters class (but even then they are only going to take 30 of you so its still bad).

A large masters student class will change the dynamics of the individual classes they are allowed to take with you. They may be weaker students overall, but thier class load is much lighter and they only have one or two classes they are trying to impress in.

This leads to them spending alot more time with professors and TAs of those classes, which not only elevates thier grade (decreasing chances of obscure questions getting dropped etc), but it decreases availability of those resources (faculty and TA) to you when you have time to use them.

For instance, at my school the fellows would release a schedule for lab walkthrus the weekend before the test. The only issue was they would release it during or right after labs for the med students, but suprise, the masters students didnt have that lab and would sign up most if not all the slots before you even had a chance.

Also consider tutor availability, I, for instance, needed a tutor and asked for one but wasn't given one cause there were already too many students with tutors (i.e. they didnt have enough for a giant master class and the med students), and I had passed one of the written or practicals exams so I was lower priority. This really ended up burning me later.

So yes a large masters class is definately a demerit unless you want to be in that masters class (but even then they are only going to take 30 of you so its still bad).

The MS class at our school can reach over 70 students. They are graded differently (curve vs. z score). I have always found that the masters students take advantage of professors more than the regular DO students. Looking back I wish I had gone to a school with a smaller MS class or none at all.

For what its worth--master's students don't take classes with DO students at WesternU. However, Podiatry does--and that is a bit annoying.