RVUCOM-UT vs KCU-Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0ingo Boingo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please I need help in deciding between these two acceptances! Both seem to be pretty comparable in nature, but i'll outline some pros and cons. Any help in swaying me one way or another is greatly appreciated. Also, because I loved both schools so much, do you think it worth my time to interview at PNWU, WesternU (Lebanon), or SOMA in December? I've been thinking i'll just remove myself and save the money.

RVUCOM-UT

Pros:
- In state, close to home
- More specialized tracks including global health, long term care, rural and wilderness medicine, etc.
- Nice building with tons of study rooms
- Outdoor activities galore and nice golf courses to play year round

Cons:
- Expensive $53,380
- New...unsure about established rotations
- Lots of instruction is via Parker and is streamed
- Living is more expensive in St George area

KCU-Joplin

Pros:
- Cheaper at $45,658
- New building with nice amenities, but established curriculum and rotations thanks to Kansas City location
- Cafeteria with good looking food at a decent price (RVU has none)
- Cheap housing and small town vibe (Pro for me, not a fan of living in large city)
- Professional appearance and seemingly more reputable name

Cons:
- Middle of nowhere/long distance from home
- Not near mountains (I ski) or many outdoor activities

Both schools seem to have extremely good results on boards and matches. Both have fantastic staff and feel centered toward the success and happiness of their students. I got an extremely good vibe from both schools, and feel I would be happy at either. Hence my difficulty...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm facing the same dilemma. What did you end up picking?
I ended up picking Rocky Vista. The more I thought about it and talked about my dilemma with family members and friends, the more it seemed like my choice was between what I wanted in a school versus saving money. So I decided to throw money out of the equation. I felt that I would enjoy the lifestyle and location of RVU more than KCU Joplin.

Reactions: 1 user
Just throwing this out there because ive been an Arkansas resident for years. There is TONS of outdoor stuff to do in NWA, which isnt that far from Joplin. I know you already picked but just in case anyone else reads this

Reactions: 1 user