RVUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

detroitdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're going to Colorado :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Great area, awesome school, phenomenal faculty... see you in July

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I'll be attending with yall next year... I live in Denver so if anyone needs any info fell free to PM me.

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows when we get our emails and full acess to everything on my vista? When I got accepted back in November, I had a student tab (on MyVista) and then it went away. Just wondering if anyone had any idea?

Also does anyone know if during the orientation week before school starts if we have a retreat or any type of meet and greet function? I know many other schools have a "get to know each other" type of thing and it would be awesome if we did too.

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows when we get our emails and full acess to everything on my vista? When I got accepted back in November, I had a student tab (on MyVista) and then it went away. Just wondering if anyone had any idea?

Also does anyone know if during the orientation week before school starts if we have a retreat or any type of meet and greet function? I know many other schools have a "get to know each other" type of thing and it would be awesome if we did too.

Congrats to you all, you're going to love RVU!

Laptop: I'm not sure if they posted the specs they want on the website... email admissions and they'll hook you up. Any laptop that isn't ancient will be fine. Make sure it picks up wireless! And 98% of the documents we get are .pdf, so get some Adobe downloaded (the Adobe Digital Editions is great for lecture material... but Macs have a different program that is even better).

MyVista: Students tab will come along when you start class. Til then, you should just have the accepted tab.

Email: We got that in orientation.

Pre-orientation retreat: We didn't have one last year... orientation kicked it off for us. But feel free to organize some informal get togethers. I think there is a group that is working on events for you guys, so more info will be on the way. If you've paid your second deposit, a current student should be contacting you within a few weeks to help with anything.

Look forward to meeting you all-

Hey, I'm sure this is on their website somewhere, I just haven't found it. Does anyone know what the course schedule will be like our first semester?

Hey, I'm sure this is on their website somewhere, I just haven't found it. Does anyone know what the course schedule will be like our first semester?

If it's online, it would be on MyVista. But I'm not sure if it's even there.

I can send you our block schedule for the first couple years if you want it. Yours might be a little different though.
In general, semester 1 has 4 classes: Anatomy (w/lab), 'Science class' (basic stuff like phys, pharm, immuno,micro, genetic, etc etc) , Osteopathic principles and practices (w/lab), Clinical medicine (w/lab).

Class is usually 8-5, but half the days you usually get out at 3 or get a 3 hour lunch. That probably makes no sense, so if you want to see what our semester schedule was, let me know, I'll send it.

If this makes no sense and you are just more confused, sorry. It's spring break.

hey that would be great if you could send that! i get it but i would like to see the schedule! thanks!

Another question... So I'm looking at all the paperwork we have to have turned in soon, and I'm wondering about the Lab Results due the first of July. Is this something that is simply in my file when I see a doctor, so a primary could sign off on? I don't have a PCP or anything, and I've gotten these titers and antibodies in may different places and times. Any ideas?

Another question... So I'm looking at all the paperwork we have to have turned in soon, and I'm wondering about the Lab Results due the first of July. Is this something that is simply in my file when I see a doctor, so a primary could sign off on? I don't have a PCP or anything, and I've gotten these titers and antibodies in may different places and times. Any ideas?

Yeah, those titers are a little bit of work. If they're more than a year old or so, they won't accept them. The best thing to do is to call the lab you had the blood drawn at and get a copy of the results. They should have them. I think that is the only form that the school accepts... they don't take signatures or anything.

Hey Everyone and welcome to RVUCOM! We are excited to see you around campus next year and also scared aout having to give up being the only child. Here is my two cents on some issues that have come up.

Laptop: I find my Tablet PC invaluable. It is very nice to be able to either type or draw right on the Power points that are given. Make sure you get One Note as I cannot sing the praises of this program enough. Also if you get OneNote make sure you get the 32-bit system not the 64-bit as some important features don't work with the 64-bit system. That being said get something you are comfortable using wether it is a Mac or PC.

MyVista: Don't worry to much about it. It will crash enough for you to be sick of it soon. The navigation is pretty easy and you will be on it practically daily.

Course Scedule normally lecture in the morning and a 2 hour lab tues-thurs. We are split in two groups so you either go right after lunch or two hours after. Shadowing is every other friday, and Mondays are generally all day lecture with the majority of testshappening on Fridays. So even during breaks don't expect to not come back to a test looming.

Orientations Week: Well you struck it big here. I am the one tasked with creating some events for you guys for orientation week. There will already be a pic-nic hosted by SOMA. If you have some idea's of events let me know what you would like. There are two days that I am to fill the evenings of I think the first one should be pretty much your class to get to know each other then maybe a little interclass competition? Well let me know what you all think.

Hey Y'all I will be in your class! Is anyone from the saint louis area??
I am starting my search for somewhere to live any recommendations as far as the cheapest and nicest?

I am so excited~
Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in St. Louis. Do you live here now? We should try and meet up so we at least know one person in the class!

hey guys!!! get on facebook group Rocky Vista COM 2013! It's very convenient to communicate and get to know your future classmates! :)
Excited to meet you all this summer!

We are having some serious issues at Rocky Vista University and the administation is falling apart. The incoming class needs to know what is going on. Hell, the current class needs to know what is going on! We are worried about the firing of the board of trustees and the threatened firing of half the Deans. Faculty members are looking for other jobs. Will we lose accreditation? The students are being told NOTHING! Today we received this letter from the President of RVU. It takes a lawyer or a politician to say so little in a statement. Who on the board was fired? Why were they fired? Who are they trying to replace them with? Why will the new Board be better than the previous Board? Please Please Please look into this matter. Call to talk to Mr. Black, demand to know what is going on. Right now I wouldn't recommend ANYONE come to RVU. Some of current students are looking into whether or not we need to transfer universities for the fall. :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Has the experiment in a For-Profit COM failed?

Good afternoon everyone,

It has been brought to my attention that members of the RVU community have a myriad of questions regarding recent changes in RVU Board personnel and its effect on the institution. I can tell you that there have indeed been some changes in the personnel on the RVU Board, and replacements for those particular positions are currently in the works. I can assure you that these changes will continue to further promote the mission of this institution, and the provision of a superior educational program for our students. While I understand that change often fosters uncertainty, the faculty, administration and board members of RVU remain committed to the future, and the successful education of many accomplished physicians in the years to come.

Any future changes made regarding the institution will be communicated to you in the most efficient manner possible. My hope is that this information will help alleviate any concerns you have and allow for a more enjoyable weekend. Good luck with the exam on Monday.

D. Robert Black, Esq.
Interim President
[email protected]

So sad to think that all of these excited students are rushing headlong into an implosion. For all those considering, applying to, or accepted to RVU, please go over to the general Osteopathic forum and read about what's going on. :mad:

please do not go to this school and fuel Yife's greed and bank account, spit on the medical profession, and hurt the 100+ years osteopathic medicine had to fight for to get full practicing rights. Yife is a businessman, please look at the economy today see how businessmen behave. Yife didn't open RVU because he cared about colorado, patients, or its students, he just wanted to increase the weight of his wallet and match the business venture his father created in the Caribbeans.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=630499

You guys should poison your own school's threads. None of the **** going on at Rocky Vista has anything to do with being a doctor.

You guys should poison your own school's threads. None of the **** going on at Rocky Vista has anything to do with being a doctor.

Sure it does.

RVU students are going headlong into disaster: A DO branch of a caribbean school. For-profit, and undergoing major changes as we speak.

This is BAD for DOs. This is BAD for MDs. This is BAD for healthcare.

Flee from this place. Flee hard and fast. Don't say nobody warned you.

we're not poisoning anything. we're cutting out the cancer. how can you say this has nothing to do with being a doctor. You becoming a doctor is based on the institution that gives you your degree. way to look at this in a holistic point of view, what a great DO you're going to make (sarcasm). this is school is an embarassment to the profession, DOs, healthcare, and osteopathy's hard-fought history. It's gotta GO!

You guys sound like those people preaching doomsday at a flee market... Such behavior is undignified in a doctor and a discredit to your profession. Your knowledge of the issues is smaller than your discretion.

Them's fighting words!

Well this is a simple case of human nature. Not everyone will like the techniques, policies, and structure of anothers masterpiece. Nor will the puzzle get put together in the same order, but one thing is for sure all of us, for profit and non profit, aspire to become phenomenal reps of our institutions. Thus far RVU hasn't had the opportunity of time and so thank you all for your concern, but concentrate on your studies a little more and mock people a little less and we will all be just fine as professionals.
I wish all of you the best despite your institution and your profit status and hope that you will refelct on what a huge impact on the future of medicine you will all have if you just concentrate on the task at hand and let the rest sort itself out.:D
As for all of the entering RVUCOM class of 2013. Lets show these naysayers what we got.. and see you in July

Faculty doesn't mold you into a physician. Hard work and determination will create a successful DO. Deans and board members are just there to watch.

Last edited:
Written in the AOA daily report:

RVUCOM Students Give Back to Community

Speaking of outreach, osteopathic medical students at the Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) demonstrated their greatness and servitude through many mission and medical outreach projects this past year. To promote these activities and inspire their fellow young Americans to serve, RVUCOM students have posted photos of their service projects on Serve.gov, a Web site created by the Obama Administration to help Americans find ways to serve in their communities. To see the photos and learn more about these student initiatives, visit the Serve.gov gallery and search for “RVUCOM.” Congratulations RVUCOM!

http://myproject.serve.gov/public/ga...ookieSupport=1&

RVUCOM IN NEWS http://coloradocommunitynewspapers.c...sity_pk_dc.txt