RVUCOM - Class of 2012 - Private Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldMeezer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been admitted to RVUCOM for the matriculating class of 2008. The current challenge at the moment is to obtain financing since the provisional accreditation status exempts the school from Title IV Federal Financial aid; moreover, most private lenders require school elligibility for Title IV prior to lending additional moneys. Originally we were recommended to pursue MEDLOANS through Sallie Mae, but recently the Sallie Mae organization has been hit with financial problems, and it is uncertain whether this program will still be available.

In addition to finding long-term financing, there is a short personal deadline not to lose $2000 in downpayments by the end of February due to lack of full funding for the school.

I think that the school is a good fit for me and my personal philosophies of medicine. I am impressed with the caliber of professors and the technology that will be available along with the opportunity to share resources with CU's medical school. However, I'm concerned that no loan programs will be available, and this will affect most all of us who are being invited to this program.

Does anyone know of any private medical loan programs other than MEDLOANS that are independent of Title IV?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Any luck finding funding for August? I sure hope so.

Have there been any changes for the loan/funding problem for August 2009 matriculates?

This is a major, major issue right now not only for RVU-COM students, but for all med students who need private loans to supplement their federal loans. In the past year, sources of private loans have dried up or terms have become a lot less favorable.

Please look into this very carefully as you make your decisions. If they are doing their job, your school should be able to suggest lenders. Remember that there is no guarantee that there will be any loans available on reasonable terms in future years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into Nelnet? I think those were the lenders I was provided with at interview - NelNet, MedPlus, SallieMae, and of course, various available scholarships. Also, you might consider corresponding directly with Kathy Leary, the RVUCOM Financial Aid Director; she has all the information and details regarding financial avenues that you require. I'd also suggest utilizing our portal for accepted students, there's a general discussion (and other areas) where financial information is addressed.

Aside from that, I'm very excited at our prospects in this area, too. I drove by the school just yesterday and they are putting the finishing touches on the facility (looks amazing from the outside). And you're correct, it will soon be filled by an even more awesome faculty and staff! Not to mention, UofC has been formally notifying their students that there will be a re-allocation to Anschutz as they transition a large number of their key teaching sites to the RVUCOM med school. In addition, UofC is working very closely with RVUCOM, including cross faculty participation and teaching resources (cadavers, etc.). I'm very excited at our prospects as well. :thumbup:

Have you looked into Nelnet? I think those were the lenders I was provided with at interview - NelNet, MedPlus, SallieMae, and of course, various available scholarships. Also, you might consider corresponding directly with Kathy Leary, the RVUCOM Financial Aid Director; she has all the information and details regarding financial avenues that you require. I'd also suggest utilizing our portal for accepted students, there's a general discussion (and other areas) where financial information is addressed.

Aside from that, I'm very excited at our prospects in this area, too. I drove by the school just yesterday and they are putting the finishing touches on the facility (looks amazing from the outside). And you're correct, it will soon be filled by an even more awesome faculty and staff! Not to mention, UofC has been formally notifying their students that there will be a re-allocation to Anschutz as they transition a large number of their key teaching sites to the RVUCOM med school. In addition, UofC is working very closely with RVUCOM, including cross faculty participation and teaching resources (cadavers, etc.). I'm very excited at our prospects as well. :thumbup:

What does UofC stand for?

What does UofC stand for?

Most likely University of Colorado, Denver.

To the OP, where did you end up getting funding?

And again, have there been any changes for the loan/funding problem for August 2009 matriculates?