RVU vs. going to other interviews. Just need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyymyshoes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

So I was accepted to RVUCOM (which is my top choice after interviewing, seeing the campus/students, board scores, etc.) on 1/25 after interviewing on 1/12, but have several other interviews lined up in the coming weeks and would just like some advice. I'm a Utah resident and want to stay relatively close to home, but obviously can't stay in UT due to the fact that we don't have a DO school (yet).

I interview at AZCOM on 2/26, TUN on 3/7 and COMP-North West in Lebanon on 3/19. I had an interview to ATSU-KCOM on 2/1 but cancelled because I honestly couldn't see myself living in Missouri. My stats are GPA 3.79, sGPA 3.73 and a 30 MCAT (12 bio, 8 physical sciences, 10 verbal).

Basically I'm worried that I may be missing out on other opportunities if I don't go on these interviews and see what the schools are like? I know that it's not a guarantee that I'd be accepted to any of these schools, but I want some sort of back up plan for some reason... I've only been to RVU and LECOM-Braedenton for interviews and was even more impressed by RVU after seeing LECOM's campus, curriculum, cadaver lab, etc.

What are your opinions on these other schools? Should I save my money or go and see what they're like?
I would probably accept RVU regardless if I got accepted anywhere else but I want to have some sort of back up plan.. I dunno... I'm probably just stressing for no reason ha.
Anyway, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If RVU is your top choice, then I wouldn't look elsewhere.
RVU has one of the highest board scores so they are doing something right.
Stick with it. Save the money and buy your parents and urself something nice.

I canceled 4 interviews. Did I regret doing it? No.....well...... not really.
Did I miss a greater opportunit(ies)? Maybe. I will never know but I'm still content with my school of choice.

It's like dating....... 5 hot guys ask you out on a date, but you already have your heart set on one of the guys...... would you still take a chance to seek others?

As a RVU 4th year who just matched ortho along with at least 4 of my classmates, I can tell you RVU is a pretty awesome school in a great location. If you want to go there, you should just go with that and cancel the rest to save time and money. A lot of my classmates are from Utah and did their 3rd and 4th year rotations there. You don't need a backup plan if you're already accepted! Just pay your deposits on time and don't get arrested or fail a drug test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If RVU is your top choice, then I wouldn't look elsewhere.
RVU has one of the highest board scores so they are doing something right.
Stick with it. Save the money and buy your parents and urself something nice.

I canceled 4 interviews. Did I regret doing it? No.....well...... not really.
Did I miss a greater opportunit(ies)? Maybe. I will never know but I'm still content with my school of choice.

It's like dating....... 5 hot guys ask you out on a date, but you already have your heart set on one of the guys...... would you still take a chance to seek others?

Thank you for the response!! I had a feeling that's what I should do..just needed that extra confirmation haha

As a RVU 4th year who just matched ortho along with at least 4 of my classmates, I can tell you RVU is a pretty awesome school in a great location. If you want to go there, you should just go with that and cancel the rest to save time and money. A lot of my classmates are from Utah and did their 3rd and 4th year rotations there. You don't need a backup plan if you're already accepted! Just pay your deposits on time and don't get arrested or fail a drug test.

That's great to hear!! I've already paid my first deposit and am just waiting on the email telling us when/where we can take the drug test. Do you know if there's a deadline to get that done? In the matriculation agreement it just said "as soon as possible upon acceptance" but I haven't heard anything yet.

The real fun is the titers, especially when you find out you're not immune to one of the diseases listed.
That's great to hear!! I've already paid my first deposit and am just waiting on the email telling us when/where we can take the drug test. Do you know if there's a deadline to get that done? In the matriculation agreement it just said "as soon as possible upon acceptance" but I haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I was impressed with AZCOM when I interviewed, so that might be worth going to, if you're okay with the price tag. I'd skip COMP just because the area's pretty small, and farther from home for you than the other two. I don't know anything about TUNCOM so I can't really comment.

Options are nice, but that having been said, I think RVUCOM is a great program, and there wouldn't be anything wrong with taking that acceptance and just running with it.