RVU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search but can't seem to find any info on RVUs secondary from last year. Anyone out there happen to remember what they asked?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Has it been determined yet if clinicals will be at some of the same places as University of Colorado? To me this would be huge, and if RVU were to work that out, it would put them high on my list.

Anyone filling out their secondary?

I am kind of confused about the essays.

Has it been determined yet if clinicals will be at some of the same places as University of Colorado? To me this would be huge, and if RVU were to work that out, it would put them high on my list.

Yes - this was in the former RVUCOM interview thread. The UofC is moving their students to Anschutz, their new teaching hospital. RVUCOM will be moving a number of students into the same clinical sites - and into new locations as well.

just got my secondary.... some of the questions were kind of confusing, but i was just glancing over them real quick.... i'll take a closer look tomorrow or monday maybe and see what it looks like

Yes - this was in the former RVUCOM interview thread. The UofC is moving their students to Anschutz, their new teaching hospital. RVUCOM will be moving a number of students into the same clinical sites - and into new locations as well.

Correct. :D:thumbup:

Yeah thanks I did some reading and found that out! Tell you what in a few years people are going to be fightin to get in there I think. What a great thing for RVU.

just got my secondary.... some of the questions were kind of confusing, but i was just glancing over them real quick.... i'll take a closer look tomorrow or monday maybe and see what it looks like

Well the essays seem straight forward but then below them it talks about out lining your PS and adding things but honestly the things they say to add are answered in the prompts.

Do these essays bring tears to anyone else's eyes? Five essays including a summary of your PS. Gawd, I am so burned out on talking about how great I am. :D

Do these essays bring tears to anyone else's eyes? Five essays including a summary of your PS. Gawd, I am so burned out on talking about how great I am. :D

Haha, yeah it was the longest application I've had yet. I finally got done and sent it off yesterday. Now I'm waiting for my LOR's to be sent, which I have a feeling may take a while. Hopefully it won't hold me back too long!

Members don't see this ad :)
I read on RVU's website that they start interviewing Aug 8th, has anyone got an invite to interview?? :confused:

I don't think they started yet...the admissions office said they have not sent out invites yet as of yesterday.

Great, thats good to know.

Did they give you an estimate for when they would start?

Did they give you an estimate for when they would start?

Not that I can remember. She just said that the dean is going through the first stack soon to pick out interviews...

Is anyone worried about the repercusion of applying to a new school?

I know federal loans are not available here. . . and they are "for-profit" business. . .

I applied there on the aacom app but I'm still contemplating whether I should fill out the secondary. . . is anyone else worried about this?

Is anyone worried about the repercusion of applying to a new school?

I know federal loans are not available here. . . and they are "for-profit" business. . .

I applied there on the aacom app but I'm still contemplating whether I should fill out the secondary. . . is anyone else worried about this?

Well I think there's ways around the loans. You may want to post on here as some of the MSI will have jumped the hurdle already.

And the for profit doesn't bother me as long as I get an education comparable to the rest. The administration put in the money to make it a good school and with rotation sites paralleling UofC I think it would be a steal to get in but thats just me.

And the for profit doesn't bother me as long as I get an education comparable to the rest. The administration put in the money to make it a good school and with rotation sites paralleling UofC I think it would be a steal to get in but thats just me.

I can say that I'm extremely pleased with my decision to attend RVUCOM. Granted, I've only been a student there for two weeks (first week was orientation and the White Coat Ceremony) but things are going smoothly, the resources are plentiful, the school is in Denver metro with a strong regional support, and the faculty/staff is simply awesome. There are a wide range of clinicians in-house, including a cardio thoracic surgeon - and DOs, DO-PhDs, MDs, and PhDs of a wide-range of disciplines. Our librarians are medical journal experts with PhDs and they have a large ancillary staff. In addition, two Radiologists from nearby hospitals (one of many where we'll do clinicals) visited for lectures yesterday and today. I've also been particularly impressed with Structural Medicine (the most exposure so far with gross starting this week) and I'm sure Foundations of Medicine and Principles of Clinical Medicine will be right up there soon. For PCM, we'll be starting standardized patient interaction in a matter of weeks.

All I can say is go interview a meet a few people there if you have doubts - and check out the faculty roster. Needless to say, I was fortunate receiving a number of acceptances and I've been amazed so far. Denver is simply an amazing place to train as well. I feel confident our training & boards will be exceptional based on what I've learned so far and what's planned. The RVUCOM faculty are the real deal. Best of luck :thumbup: :luck:

In addition, two Radiologists from nearby hospitals (one of many where we'll do clinicals) visited for lectures yesterday and today.

Those two radiologists happen to be the Co-Chairs for the Department of Radiology!

I am also very happy with my decision to attend RVUCOM. The faculty and staff have made every effort to ensure that everything runs smoothly. The curricular structure, exams, and experiences have been thoughtfully designed. I have been continually impressed by many aspects related to our education, including the facilities, and the positive community response to our presence. I look forward to meeting some of you when you come to interview!

Feel free to PM me with questions, but please be aware that I may not respond immediately! :)

What is the housing situation? Is there on campus housing or have you just found something nearby? Is there much available, what are prices like... etc.

What is the housing situation? Is there on campus housing or have you just found something nearby? Is there much available, what are prices like... etc.

There are apartments nearby and plenty of homes for purchase/lease since it's a large metro area. You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever finding something to suit your needs.

I got an interview invite today and am trying to figure out some of the logistics, do I need to rent a car or is there another, better way to get around? Another other advice would be appriciated.

Congrads on the interview! How long have you been complete at RVU? I'm praying for one. All of my LORS and the supplemental should be in by now.....

Congrads on the interview! How long have you been complete at RVU? I'm praying for one. All of my LORS and the supplemental should be in by now.....

I mailed all of my secondary stuff and sent in my LOR via virtual evals on July 30. They never sent me a notice saying that I was complete, I just got the call this morning for the interview.

I mailed all of my secondary stuff and sent in my LOR via virtual evals on July 30. They never sent me a notice saying that I was complete, I just got the call this morning for the interview.

Thanks! You must be with the first batch of interviewers.

I got an interview invite today and am trying to figure out some of the logistics, do I need to rent a car or is there another, better way to get around? Another other advice would be appriciated.

I'd rent a car but keep in mind that there will be a large number of idiots descending on Denver later this month for the DNC. As a result, you'll be paying inflated rates for rental cars as well as your hotel. However, check with the RVUCOM staff with regard to possible car and hotel "deals".

"Not stupid enough to vote democratic."

Congratulations on your interview! Do you mind sharing your basic stats - gpa/mcat/IS? There isn't much data available on this school yet and I was curious. Thanks!

Congratulations on your interview! Do you mind sharing your basic stats - gpa/mcat/IS? There isn't much data available on this school yet and I was curious. Thanks!

Overall GPA- 3.51
Science GPA- 3.44
MCAT- 28

I also have a lot of clinical and research experience as well as a lot of other extracuricular activities.

Overall GPA- 3.51
Science GPA- 3.44
MCAT- 28

I also have a lot of clinical and research experience as well as a lot of other extracuricular activities.

Have a great interview. :thumbup:

Have a great interview. :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement! I really hope things go well. I am from Utah and would love to stay in the intermountain region. I'm really excited to have a DO school open in this area. I feel like this is a part of the country where DOs aren't as well known or mainstream in comparison with other parts of the country, I would be excited to be apart of all RVU will do to help with that and create more awareness. I hope it will open doors for other schools to open in the region. My only concern with RVU is the whole lack of federal financial aid situation. Any thoughts on that white rabbit?? Was it very difficult to find a way to pay for school? I'm sure they will talk about this in the interview but I would love to hear the perspective of a current student that has had to go through it all. Any other thoughts about the school in general, now that you've started up, would be appriciated!

My only concern with RVU is the whole lack of federal financial aid situation. Was it very difficult to find a way to pay for school? Any other thoughts about the school in general, now that you've started up, would be appriciated!

We only had a couple options to pay for school. The first is military, which pays for everything, and the second is a private loan. They only really gave us one lender to go through (which was the best deal they could find I believe). Getting that loan was a piece of cake though. They said they'd get more options for next year's class. Federal funding will be available after they graduate their first class (so you'd get a year of federal).

Private loans aren't ideal, but it's gotta be done. And I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly.

Everything else about the school is sweet so far. It's tough to complain when everything is great.

What was the rate on the private loan that was made available?

Lots of people on the HPSP?

Thanks.

-stiz

Kyro - you in the very first interview group at RVUCOM for 2013? HAve they started interviewing there yet? Just curious...

Federal funding will be available after they graduate their first class (so you'd get a year of federal).

Everything else about the school is sweet so far. It's tough to complain when everything is great.
Unless they get something on track (as is planned) with regard to a biomedical sciences master's program, nursing, or PA that graduates sooner, thus providing full accreditation and federal loan eligibility...
I fully agree with everything being "sweet" so far. :D
My only concern with RVU is the whole lack of federal financial aid situation. Any thoughts on that white rabbit?? Was it very difficult to find a way to pay for school? I'm sure they will talk about this in the interview but I would love to hear the perspective of a current student that has had to go through it all. Any other thoughts about the school in general, now that you've started up, would be appriciated!
Well, 160 other med students - or at least a majority, are doing it financially with no problem. :thumbup:
What was the rate on the private loan that was made available? Lots of people on the HPSP?
Thanks.
I wouldn't say a large number are going HPSP - I'd estimate about 10% - maybe. Everyone else is doing MedPlus, Nelnet, - or some variation from Sallie Mae Medical Loans (the majority). Someone else will have to chime up with regard to the going rates; I don't remember if it's Libor or Prime + 1-2 %. I think it all falls around 8% interest - or somewhere thereabouts.

Kyro - you in the very first interview group at RVUCOM for 2013? HAve they started interviewing there yet? Just curious...

Yes, I'm in the first interview group. My date is Sept 16. When they first called me with the invite they said I could choose between Aug. 26, 28 or Sept 16. I originally opted for the aug 26th date. But I got a call back an hour or two later saying they had to cancle the two Aug dates because the democratic national convention was being held that week in Denver, which would make it a little tough to find a hotel since most are booked out already! :) I rescheduled for Sept 16 which, as I understand it, will be the first interview day.

Yes, I'm in the first interview group. My date is Sept 16. When they first called me with the invite they said I could choose between Aug. 26, 28 or Sept 16. I originally opted for the aug 26th date. But I got a call back an hour or two later saying they had to cancle the two Aug dates because the democratic national convention was being held that week in Denver, which would make it a little tough to find a hotel since most are booked out already! :) I rescheduled for Sept 16 which, as I understand it, will be the first interview day.

I was wondering how they'd planned on handling that aspect with the DNC imbeciles and all... sounds like they've got it all worked out. :thumbup:

:laugh: I-25 will be shut down for a period of time! :thumbdown:

obama_nope.jpg

RVU's AACOM info sheet states they won't accept any MCAT subset score lower than a 6. I got a 5 on Physical Science, 27 overall.

I majorly messed up on that first section--nerves got the best of me and I had to take two breaks during PS section to go throw up. But I pulled it together and scored 11 on my other two sections, R on the Writing.

Do you think they will make an exception or should I not even apply to RVU since I have that awful 5 in PS? (BTW, my GPA does meet their cutoff and I have really strong everything else--LOR's, EC's, Research, DO shadowing, etc). Thanks in advance.

RVU's AACOM info sheet states they won't accept any MCAT subset score lower than a 6. I got a 5 on Physical Science, 27 overall.

I majorly messed up on that first section--nerves got the best of me and I had to take two breaks during PS section to go throw up. But I pulled it together and scored 11 on my other two sections, R on the Writing.

Do you think they will make an exception or should I not even apply to RVU since I have that awful 5 in PS? (BTW, my GPA does meet their cutoff and I have really strong everything else--LOR's, EC's, Research, DO shadowing, etc). Thanks in advance.

You could give the admissions office a call and see what their opinion is. Your scores in the other two sections are great and if you say the rest of your application is good they could possibly make an exception (schools do that sometimes...). They may want you to retake the MCAT though to bring up the score in PS. I'm sure you'd do great though if you retook it. You can only get a better score than 5 - nothing to be nervous about! ;)

You could give the admissions office a call and see what their opinion is. Your scores in the other two sections are great and if you say the rest of your application is good they could possibly make an exception (schools do that sometimes...). They may want you to retake the MCAT though to bring up the score in PS. I'm sure you'd do great though if you retook it. You can only get a better score than 5 - nothing to be nervous about! ;)

Thanks Billicus! I will call RVU on Monday. I am crossing my fingers they will make an exception. I do not want to take the MCAT again, but I will if they want me to.

As far as I know, RVU is the only school to publish sub-set score cutoffs. But do you think it will it hurt my chances at other schools to have such an off-balanced score? Or will they just see the 27 and let me through their screens?

There's no way to know if you'll get through various school screens. The 5 in a subsection stands out regardless. There's still a good chance you could land a decent number of interviews but I'd shoot for retaking the MCAT as you've planned. You'll surely bring up that section score and then you'll be golden; just the fact that you're retaking it might be enough for some schools to consider your application now while they wait for your new score.

Oh - I think a good person to talk to at RVUCOM is a adminission counselor named Kerri (don't recall her last name at the moment) - actually, probably anyone there in admissions can help with that question. If it were me, I'd go ahead and apply - broadly, with a MCAT retake in the offing. :thumbup:

There's no way to know if you'll get through various school screens. The 5 in a subsection stands out regardless. There's still a good chance you could land a decent number of interviews but I'd shoot for retaking the MCAT as you've planned. You'll surely bring up that section score and then you'll be golden; just the fact that you're retaking it might be enough for some schools to consider your application now while they wait for your new score.

Oh - I think a good person to talk to at RVUCOM is a adminission counselor named Kerri (don't recall her last name at the moment) - actually, probably anyone there in admissions can help with that question. If it were me, I'd go ahead and apply - broadly, with a MCAT retake in the offing. :thumbup:

My wife had a few emails with Kerri, she is very helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to email her with any questions. I also agree that a 5 is well....less than spectacular so a retake probably couldn't hurt. I would (if I were in the same position) also apply broadly and hope for the best, but be planning on a retake. Anyway, good luck misswho! :)

Last edited:
I got the invite to complete the secondary and I am extremely confused. I see people talking about 5 essays and I can only see three on mine. It also says to email responses instead of submitting them online. Also did the secondary look strange on anyone else's computer. I am worried that I am missing information because I am using a Mac computer. Is anyone else using a mac?

I got the invite to complete the secondary and I am extremely confused. I see people talking about 5 essays and I can only see three on mine. It also says to email responses instead of submitting them online. Also did the secondary look strange on anyone else's computer. I am worried that I am missing information because I am using a Mac computer. Is anyone else using a mac?

Just talk to someone at RVUCOM admissions about the sec app. :thumbup:

Just scheduled my RVU interview - 9/18! I'm very excited at the possibility of going to school in Colorado, and I've heard great things about the school...