Rutgers PSYD Programs/other fully funded programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpsyche

Reaction score
Hey, I know that Rutgers' PSYD program is partially funded, but I am not able to find any information online about how much the program is for an out of state student and how much funding is given. Also, are there any other fully/partially funded programs anyone knows about other than Rutgers/Baylor? I heard something about IUP but am not completely sure, so if someone could give me more information that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry can’t answer these questions but somebody competitive for Baylor/Rutgers should also be competitive for funded PhD programs given the right fit.

The Insider’s Guide should have info on full or partial funding but I don’t think they list $$$ amounts for partially funded programs.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe Indiana State’s PsyD program is partially funded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at IUP a few years back. Most students get an assistantship with a very small payment from what I remember. In the long run, it's an expensive program (relative to funded options), though cost of living was pretty cheap.

Last edited:
If memory serves, IUP is half-funded (if you do the assistantship) tuition and a half stipend. Rutgers, I believe, gives some funding (I believe they quoted me $10k when I interviewed there 10 years ago) the first year and then not afterwards, though there might be a handful of random assistantships floating around (though I definitely wouldn't count on them). That said, both are state schools, so their baseline tuition is lower than all the rando diploma mill programs.

Just apply to fully funded scientist practitioner PhD programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Just apply to fully funded scientist practitioner PhD programs.
Its been beaten to death at this point but yeah, no reason to not seek a funded balanaced PhD program as they usually run the exact same way the top PsyDs do.

Reactions: 2 users
From research I did last year when applying to both PsyDs and PhDs - James Madison and Georgia Southern are fully funded and University of Houston Clear Lake's PsyD is partially funded (stipend with state tuition I think). I agree with recommendations to apply to both PhD and PsyD, but also think that trying to get all of the info you can about both options is totally reasonable :) Good luck!

Indiana State is fully funded with a stipend. Very competitive though.
University of Indianapolis has 2 scholarships they give each year that are full rides (but no stipend), one's for diversity, one's for academic excellence.

"You mean I only have to pay $100k to avoid those icky stats classes and keep my metropolitan lifestyle?! Someone get me a pen!"

AND I get to struggle to obtain an internship and later, a good paying job due to the Albatross that is my graduate institution? TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

AND I get to struggle to obtain an internship and later, a good paying job due to the Albatross that is my graduate institution? TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

Some of that is also down to self-selection and the work ethic (or lack thereof) of some of these grads. I just had the most unprofessional conversation of my career with a colleague who is a grad of one of these esteemed programs. I did learn that you can flat out refuse to do your job though.

Some of that is also down to self-selection and the work ethic (or lack thereof) of some of these grads. I just had the most unprofessional conversation of my career with a colleague who is a grad of one of these esteemed programs. I did learn that you can flat out refuse to do your job though.

Yeah, there is one of the local places that when I was still at the hospital I refused to take prac students from after a string of terrible experiences. Some of my friends who do some adjunct instruction around the Metro here also stopped accepting teaching there after they were pressured to make their classes easier so that the students could pass the required courses.

Maybe it's old hat to us, but yet people still ask about Psy.Ds on the regular.
The Prof. School websites continue to promulgate the misconception that the Ph.D. is an academic degree and that PsyDs either get more clinical training (demonstrably false) or start clinical service provision earlier (probably false and likely unethical). At least people are still asking "us"- it's got to be confusing being an applicant with all the misinformation out there.

The Prof. School websites continue to promulgate the misconception that the Ph.D. is an academic degree and that PsyDs either get more clinical training (demonstrably false) or start clinical service provision earlier (probably false and likely unethical). At least people are still asking "us"- it's got to be confusing being an applicant with all the misinformation out there.
As a youngin getting ready to apply I've had a bunch of grad students in my lab (funded, balanced PhD) ask me why I'm not applying to PsyD. It worries me that I've needed to tell the people already in a decent program why most PsyD degrees are poor ideas ... of course they may have also been testing me.

As a youngin getting ready to apply I've had a bunch of grad students in my lab (funded, balanced PhD) ask me why I'm not applying to PsyD. It worries me that I've needed to tell the people already in a decent program why most PsyD degrees are poor ideas ... of course they may have also been testing me.
Unless your terminally online (like most of us here) or have had some kind of significant contact with PsyD programs, most PhD students don't know much about them. They probably just hear the marketing and think it's true because they don't have any experience to the contrary.

If anyone is interested in PsyD programs, really take a look at Georgia Southern’s program. It’s got a great reputation and comprehensive training. People I know there love it. Also, it is fully funded.