Rutgers Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowship Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Me+PharmD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions from my knowledgeable peers on Rutgers Fellowship program. I'm currently a 4th year PharmD/MBA student with a strong interest in the industry. Please do not provide links to outside sources such as the applicant brochure or FAQs because I'm sure I've already seen them. I'd like to hear from current fellows or other students with a strong interest in the program that may know more information about the program. If a current fellow is extremely satisfied with a specific fellowship partner, then please provide details. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for some opinions from my knowledgeable peers on Rutgers Fellowship program. I'm currently a 4th year PharmD/MBA student with a strong interest in the industry. Please do not provide links to outside sources such as the applicant brochure or FAQs because I'm sure I've already seen them. I'd like to hear from current fellows or other students with a strong interest in the program that may know more information about the program. If a current fellow is extremely satisfied with a specific fellowship partner, then please provide details. Thanks!

U should probably post in the pharmD section of the forum because this one is dead...I talked to 2 Rutgers fellows and both of them love the program. I heard that a few years ago, fellows were quite easily hired by the company they did their fellowship at....

Hello! I am actually a Pharm.D. that graduated back in 2008 and am looking at industry fellowships for the 2011-2013 years. Although I am sure to not have all of the answers you are looking for, I'd be more than happy to help. I currently work in a MSL type role for a big pharma company and am looking for a fellowship for career pathway reasons. My only piece of advice about the industry as a whole is make sure you know what you are looking for and you are willing to take risks. Every pharma company right now is trying to make ends meet. That may mean that it is more unstable than you are willing to deal with.

Members don't see this ad :)
U should probably post in the pharmD section of the forum because this one is dead...I talked to 2 Rutgers fellows and both of them love the program. I heard that a few years ago, fellows were quite easily hired by the company they did their fellowship at....

Jobs after fellowship are no longer a guarantee at many of the companies from what I have heard.

Jobs after fellowship are no longer a guarantee at many of the companies from what I have heard.

That is true. According to the RIFP newsletter from this March, only 26 of 48 fellows had jobs line up. My previous post is how I am approaching the situation. My wife is finishing up pharmacy school and looking at doing a residency + specialization. Meaning that we should at least have a source of income when we get done in 2013. However, I am fully prepared to move across the country for a job and want to be in the biopharm sector. Again, bigger risk, but potentially bigger reward. As companies begin to merge, there will be less positions available. A good reference in the industry is cafepharma.com Don't go to the company websites as they are fully of negativity, but look at the articles present about employment. Also, look at the top 20 pharma companies career websites. It will show you what jobs currently are in demand and/or aren't being filled.

I'm actually completing a clerkship through a major CMO here in the Atlanta area, and I've been told one of the best recruiting websites that a lot of recruiting managers use in the "industry" is medzilla.com. I'm not sure if you've performed a job search or posted your resume there yet, but just a quick MSL search reveals hundreds of positions available in the US. Biopharm. would definitely be represented on that website.

I'm actually completing a clerkship through a major CMO here in the Atlanta area, and I've been told one of the best recruiting websites that a lot of recruiting managers use in the "industry" is medzilla.com. I'm not sure if you've performed a job search or posted your resume there yet, but just a quick MSL search reveals hundreds of positions available in the US. Biopharm. would definitely be represented on that website.

After your clerkship are you still planning on completing a fellowship? Have you found anything else about Rutgers?

All the Fellowships are different, so if you really want to know more that you can learn from the website/brochure, you need to get in touch with the current fellows in the exact positions/companies you are considering and ask them about their specific experience.

As it stands, I am in preparation to make sure that there are no suprises come time for the ASHP midyear. I just had a scheduled sit-down with a fellow from Rutgers that is now a MSL through the CMO that I'm rotating with. She provided lots of valuable information regarding attending FIP day in Jersey. She's offered to write a letter of recommendation and she's allowed me to use her as a reference at ASHP. She said that as the new fellows get settled in, Rutgers will begin to provide more information on the program, as the current fellows are highly involved in the application process. She said to make sure that I am highly prepared at midyear, because that's where a lot of students lose their appeal and are often not considered as serious applicants. She also said to interview at no more than 3 fellowship programs, as the tiers of interviewing can be extensive and anything beyond 3 may be excessive. Currently there is a MSL fellowship program at Rutgers, and she said that if that position is not obtained to focus on the scientific aspect to increase the likelihood of landing a MSL position.

As it stands, I am in preparation to make sure that there are no suprises come time for the ASHP midyear. I just had a scheduled sit-down with a fellow from Rutgers that is now a MSL through the CMO that I'm rotating with. She provided lots of valuable information regarding attending FIP day in Jersey. She's offered to write a letter of recommendation and she's allowed me to use her as a reference at ASHP. She said that as the new fellows get settled in, Rutgers will begin to provide more information on the program, as the current fellows are highly involved in the application process. She said to make sure that I am highly prepared at midyear, because that's where a lot of students lose their appeal and are often not considered as serious applicants. She also said to interview at no more than 3 fellowship programs, as the tiers of interviewing can be extensive and anything beyond 3 may be excessive. Currently there is a MSL fellowship program at Rutgers, and she said that if that position is not obtained to focus on the scientific aspect to increase the likelihood of landing a MSL position.

I think that is really good information. To let you know, I am not applying for a MSL fellowship position (I already have a job like that in industry). I have my three people already committed to write letters of rec, am finishing the letter of intent, and have already ranked the programs I'm looking into. As far as the 3 fellowship programs, does she mean 3 tracks at Rutgers or Rutger, St. John's, BiogenIdec, etc.?

I think that is really good information. To let you know, I am not applying for a MSL fellowship position (I already have a job like that in industry). I have my three people already committed to write letters of rec, am finishing the letter of intent, and have already ranked the programs I'm looking into. As far as the 3 fellowship programs, does she mean 3 tracks at Rutgers or Rutger, St. John's, BiogenIdec, etc.?

She meant just three programs at Rutger's itself, because there are about 3-4 tiers in the interviewing process, so 3 programs of interest already puts you at 12 interviews with Rutger's alone. She did say to consider other programs as well, and possibly keep in mind that sometimes students land miracle MSL/med. affairs jobs straight out of school (this CMO actually just hired a recent grad and the client was very pleased with the student's performance). MSL fuels my ambition, is there a reason why you're trying to get away from that area?

Tired of traveling with my position. I really want to go a different route to move up the ladder. I have found that compliance is an interesting subject for me. Only problem is there are few positions available. I'm wondering if coming from the pharmaceutical industry will help me at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Industry, which fellowship are you in again? What specific program are you in? I recall you said something about interviewing at this years ASHP midyear...

Industry, which fellowship are you in again? What specific program are you in? I recall you said something about interviewing at this years ASHP midyear...

Hello. Sorry if my previous post was hard to understand. I'm not actually in a fellowship program. I work as an MSL for a pharma company. I really enjoy the aspect of Reg Affairs, though, and am applying to four or five programs (Rutgers being my top choice) this year for the 2011-2013 fellowship period. I knew nothing about reg affairs until being employed in the industry, so that's the reasoning for not completing a fellowship until now. I graduated pharmacy school back in 2008. So with that info, I was wondering why I might run into problems (if any) for getting into a reg affairs fellowship program (again, top choice being Rutgers). Thanks!

I am not. I completed a fellowship a few years back and then at my previous job I have been helping precept fellows and was involved in interviewing at Midyear for a couple years. Even though I tend to ask the hardest questions in the interviews, I am good at pep talks, as fate would have it. :D And I am significantly younger than vast majority of people in my particular field, so it was easier for the fellows to relate to me, in some aspects.

I tried to cover fellowship application process a little in the Industry101 thread. If you have specific questions that I haven't covered, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hello. Sorry if my previous post was hard to understand. I'm not actually in a fellowship program. I work as an MSL for a pharma company. I really enjoy the aspect of Reg Affairs, though, and am applying to four or five programs (Rutgers being my top choice) this year for the 2011-2013 fellowship period. I knew nothing about reg affairs until being employed in the industry, so that's the reasoning for not completing a fellowship until now. I graduated pharmacy school back in 2008. So with that info, I was wondering why I might run into problems (if any) for getting into a reg affairs fellowship program (again, top choice being Rutgers). Thanks!

I will apply the reasoning my colleagues and I have used when deciding which candidates to bring to second/third interviews at the PPS and especially when choosing who to bring on-site. There are usually good 20-30 people interviewing for a position at the Midyear (some years some are more popular than others), and some 12-15 make through all the rounds there. Most companies do not bring more than five or at most six (if a couple are local) people per position on-site (it gets expensive! unlike residencies, pharma companies usually pay for the prospective fellows' flight and accomodation). Every year there is one or two exceptional candidates (as an interviewer, usually you know in about five or ten minutes at most whetehr you really like someone or not) but there is always the big cluster in the middle which will supply the remaining three or four people for the onsite interviews, so it comes down to small differences deciding who makes it and who doesn't.

The main idea of the fellowships is not necessarily to teach specific skills (that's what graduate school and/or certificate programs are there for), it is to give graduating pharmacy students an opportunity to enter pharmaceutical industry, build networks, and gain valuable experience along the way. In that order. What do the companies get out of it? Identify talent which should (ideally, even though it's not always the case today) be retained and further developed. So, if I have someone who is already employed by the industry, I would have the following concerns:
- If they are already in the industry, why can't they switch internally? Are they just not good enough that their company would want to retain/develop them? Then why would I?
- If switching is impossible because of hiring freeze or size of the company or whatever, why aren't they just trying to get a entry-level position in the field?
- They are already in the industry, they have opportunity to network and eventually get where they want - so giving them a fellowship means denying a fellowship to someone who has no other way to get in.
- Do they have unrealistic expectations? Do they think I am guaranteeing them a job after the fellowship is over?

So, to overcome these concerns you would need to:
- Be such a stellar candidate that I just WANT to have you, these concerns unimportant by comparison
- OR have a good (and I mean GOOD) story to address the concerns I outlined above

It doesn't mean you won't get a fellowship, it just means you have an additional hurdle to overcome/additional explaining to do.

If you want to talk in more detail, feel free to PM me. I think I will copy this post to the Industry 101 thread if you don't mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I will apply the reasoning my colleagues and I have used when deciding which candidates to bring to second/third interviews at the PPS and especially when choosing who to bring on-site. There are usually good 20-30 people interviewing for a position at the Midyear (some years some are more popular than others), and some 12-15 make through all the rounds there. Most companies do not bring more than five or at most six (if a couple are local) people per position on-site (it gets expensive! unlike residencies, pharma companies usually pay for the prospective fellows' flight and accomodation). Every year there is one or two exceptional candidates (as an interviewer, usually you know in about five or ten minutes at most whetehr you really like someone or not) but there is always the big cluster in the middle which will supply the remaining three or four people for the onsite interviews, so it comes down to small differences deciding who makes it and who doesn't.

The main idea of the fellowships is not necessarily to teach specific skills (that's what graduate school and/or certificate programs are there for), it is to give graduating pharmacy students an opportunity to enter pharmaceutical industry, build networks, and gain valuable experience along the way. In that order. What do the companies get out of it? Identify talent which should (ideally, even though it's not always the case today) be retained and further developed. So, if I have someone who is already employed by the industry, I would have the following concerns:
- If they are already in the industry, why can't they switch internally? Are they just not good enough that their company would want to retain/develop them? Then why would I?
- If switching is impossible because of hiring freeze or size of the company or whatever, why aren't they just trying to get a entry-level position in the field?
- They are already in the industry, they have opportunity to network and eventually get where they want - so giving them a fellowship means denying a fellowship to someone who has no other way to get in.
- Do they have unrealistic expectations? Do they think I am guaranteeing them a job after the fellowship is over?

So, to overcome these concerns you would need to:
- Be such a stellar candidate that I just WANT to have you, these concerns unimportant by comparison
- OR have a good (and I mean GOOD) story to address the concerns I outlined above

It doesn't mean you won't get a fellowship, it just means you have an additional hurdle to overcome/additional explaining to do.

If you want to talk in more detail, feel free to PM me. I think I will copy this post to the Industry 101 thread if you don't mind.

Feel free! Thanks!

Hello Pharmacist
I am new to the student doctor network. I have been extremely interested in the Rutgers fellowship program and the information posted by you was extremely helpful (which motivated me to join the network). I have questions about the competitive nature of these fellowship programs. What do you look for in an applicant that differentiates a good applicant from a great applicant? How intensive is the interviewing process? I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student and I am getting ready to start my letter of intent. I would highly appreciate any feedback from you. Thank you.

What do you look for in an applicant that differentiates a good applicant from a great applicant?
Because the positions are vastly different, the qualities they would be looking for also would be different. However, great communication skills always help get the prersonal connection going, that's important. And what sets apart great applicants is that they GET it from the start. They understand the meaning behind your question, so they answer right away instead of you spending ten minutes and five questiong guding them to the right thought process. They KNOW what the issues the field/department/profession/industry are facing and what they personally can offer to help address those issues.

How intensive is the interviewing process?
Very. On both sides. When I came as an applicant, I only came for two days so I had to fit 12-15 interviews lasting 30, 45 or 60 minutes into each. I would literally just fall asleep in my hotel room after I was done, forget the dinner and the intent to prepare for the next day's interviewes. As an interviewer, it was a little easier, but still exhausting to see some ten-twelve people over three days while trying to attend relevant sessions as well... There are all those networking events at night too, worth attending if you get invited. Never know who you might meet. :)

I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student and I am getting ready to start my letter of intent. I would highly appreciate any feedback from you. Thank you.
Do yourself a favor and don't write one until AFTER the Midyear. You can (and, depending on your self-awareness and writing skills in general, maybe should) start jotting down ideas which are related to yourself and what you can bring to the table - that will help you with the interview prep process - but don't write an actual letter. If you write it now, it will be generic to the point of being useless. When you interview at the PPS suite, you will learn what people you interviewed with consider the most important - and be able to address those points in your letter. Besides, you might not even know which fellowship(s) will end up being your top choice(s). That was the case for me - my top choice, which I ended up completing, was not high on my radar before the PPS, it was actually the third and final interview I had there which convinced me that it was the one. :)

Because the positions are vastly different, the qualities they would be looking for also would be different. However, great communication skills always help get the prersonal connection going, that's important. And what sets apart great applicants is that they GET it from the start. They understand the meaning behind your question, so they answer right away instead of you spending ten minutes and five questiong guding them to the right thought process. They KNOW what the issues the field/department/profession/industry are facing and what they personally can offer to help address those issues.

Very. On both sides. When I came as an applicant, I only came for two days so I had to fit 12-15 interviews lasting 30, 45 or 60 minutes into each. I would literally just fall asleep in my hotel room after I was done, forget the dinner and the intent to prepare for the next day's interviewes. As an interviewer, it was a little easier, but still exhausting to see some ten-twelve people over three days while trying to attend relevant sessions as well... There are all those networking events at night too, worth attending if you get invited. Never know who you might meet. :)

Do yourself a favor and don't write one until AFTER the Midyear. You can (and, depending on your self-awareness and writing skills in general, maybe should) start jotting down ideas which are related to yourself and what you can bring to the table - that will help you with the interview prep process - but don't write an actual letter. If you write it now, it will be generic to the point of being useless. When you interview at the PPS suite, you will learn what people you interviewed with consider the most important - and be able to address those points in your letter. Besides, you might not even know which fellowship(s) will end up being your top choice(s). That was the case for me - my top choice, which I ended up completing, was not high on my radar before the PPS, it was actually the third and final interview I had there which convinced me that it was the one. :)

That was extremely helpful and thank you for the prompt reply. So my next set of questions include, can anyone interview for any position they want? or do we have to get invited to do interviews? Earlier I read a comment in the thread about applying to about 3 or 4 positions. Rutgers has a tie up with various pharmaceutical companies so would that mean applying to fellowships in 3 or 4 different companies within Rutgers? or applying to 3 or 4 different fellowship profiles such as medical information, regulatory affairs etc.
Since I am new to SDN, how do I subscribe to posts so I can get notified when someone replies to my post and so I don't have to physically search this thread every time. Thank you for your time.
-Richa

I am in the process of going over the thread started by you "Pharmaceutical Industry 101" and it is extremely helpful. Is it okay to send you a private message if I have a question?

I am in the process of going over the thread started by you "Pharmaceutical Industry 101" and it is extremely helpful. Is it okay to send you a private message if I have a question?
Absolutely. :)

can anyone interview for any position they want? or do we have to get invited to do interviews? Earlier I read a comment in the thread about applying to about 3 or 4 positions. Rutgers has a tie up with various pharmaceutical companies so would that mean applying to fellowships in 3 or 4 different companies within Rutgers? or applying to 3 or 4 different fellowship profiles such as medical information, regulatory affairs etc.
Unless the situation changed in the last few years, you can do first round interviews with as many positions as you want, but then each company and even each position is different in terms of who they invite to come back for second/third/whatever round. Some ask everyone, some ask only select few. Some have only two interviewers, some have four. It's all over the board...

When it comes to the application time (after Midyear!), I think they explain the rules during the video everyone has to watch at the Midyear. Just ask there to be absolutely sure you do everything right.

Any updates so far? I'm interested to see when everything will be posted for open positions.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my rutgers fellowship! Graduating fellows are still finding jobs in 2014; don't let people discourage you... Some friends and I made a video to help future PharmD fellowship candidates for Midyear 2015 and beyond. It's called 'Goodfellows' and can be found by searching youtube for: ASHP Midyear Goodfellows

Good luck in your journey. I hope you all find hapiness and fulfillment!

Some friends and I made a video to help future PharmD fellowship candidates for Midyear 2015 and beyond. It's called 'Goodfellows' and can be found by searching youtube for: ASHP Midyear Goodfellows

I ran across that video a few weeks ago. It was tremendously helpful! I've watched it several times since then. Thanks so much.

Sorry to take this topic in a different direction. But are MDs also eligible for this Rutgers fellowship especially if worked for a couple of years at a big Industry company? I just need to consolidate and hone my skills that I have gained during my work as a contractor physician. @industrypharm