Rutgers MBS Dental Scholars Progam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immortal82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm expected to start Rutgers MBS program in Newark this fall. So I'm trying to plan out my classes. Could former/current students from this program please tell me what are some good classes to take?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm expected to start Rutgers MBS program in Newark this fall. So I'm trying to plan out my classes. Could former/current students from this program please tell me what are some good classes to take?

Thank you :)

Congrats! Out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what were your stats? Also, when did you apply and hear back? I just applied and trying to see what my chances are of acceptance.

I got in last November for spring 2017 but I deffered my acceptance.

Yes of course. It's not to great actually.
It's 2.7 overall gpa and I submitted my GRE scores. But I have strong extracurricular and research experience. I hope that helps. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)

It's 2.7 overall gpa and I submitted my GRE scores. But I have strong extracurricular and research experience. I hope that helps. Good luck :)

Thank you! Trust me, mine aren't great either, I had a 2.9 overall. Were your GRE scores high?

Last edited:
Thank you! Trust me, mine aren't great either, I had a 2.9 overall. Were your GRE scores high?

Honestly, I don't remember the exact score it was a while ago but I think it added up to 300 total?!

Good luck!! I hope you get in. Let me know if you do!

Honestly, I don't remember the exact score it was a while ago but I think it added up to 300 total?!

Good luck!! I hope you get in. Let me know if you do!

Okay! Thank you! Mine was around the same. And, I just got my acceptance! See you soon!

Okay! Thank you! Mine was around the same. And, I just got my acceptance! See you soon!

Just curious when you application was complete and how long until you heard back? I am still waiting!

Just curious when you application was complete and how long until you heard back? I am still waiting!
Hey. So I completed my application around May 2nd. I heard back fairly quick. They accepted me on May 10th.

The schedule should be coming out soon (check here). You can get a pretty decent idea of what the classes are by seeing the schedule from last year. There will definitely be some changes, especially with the course offerings for dental/medical school courses. Just a piece of advice, hold off on taking any dental/med courses. Give yourself some time to acclimate to the difficulty. The courses aren't all that hard, just a lot of material.

Nearly everyone here is trying to boost their GPA with challenging courses. You know yourself better than I, be reasonable with the courseload you plan to take. I pushed for a one-year completion, but looking back I probably should have done a 3 semester.

As for specific classes, take courses in subjects that interest you. Check the course descriptions for more info, and email professors about their courses if you need more info. Get the syllabus before class beings and check your exam schedule, set yourself up to do well. Required classes: Funds A (biochem), Funds B (cell/molec), and Funds physiology. you can take any 2 out of the three. Lots of stuff to memorize. pick your poison! the general consensus is that funds physio has more material than the other two but I thought it was an interesting class.
Other popular classes funds of pharmacology, toxicology I and II (you can take them in whatever order you want, no pre req or order), and gene expression. There's a facebook group too, join that and ask about other specific classes there.

If you are planning on graduating with the oral biology concentration read the requirements on the GSBS website and make sure you plan ahead. Very limited number of classes that qualify the major requirement but there are enough if you try.
Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the best options for housing are? And finding roommates?

Wow nice thread
The schedule should be coming out soon (check here). You can get a pretty decent idea of what the classes are by seeing the schedule from last year. There will definitely be some changes, especially with the course offerings for dental/medical school courses. Just a piece of advice, hold off on taking any dental/med courses. Give yourself some time to acclimate to the difficulty. The courses aren't all that hard, just a lot of material.

Nearly everyone here is trying to boost their GPA with challenging courses. You know yourself better than I, be reasonable with the courseload you plan to take. I pushed for a one-year completion, but looking back I probably should have done a 3 semester.

As for specific classes, take courses in subjects that interest you. Check the course descriptions for more info, and email professors about their courses if you need more info. Get the syllabus before class beings and check your exam schedule, set yourself up to do well. Required classes: Funds A (biochem), Funds B (cell/molec), and Funds physiology. you can take any 2 out of the three. Lots of stuff to memorize. pick your poison! the general consensus is that funds physio has more material than the other two but I thought it was an interesting class.
Other popular classes funds of pharmacology, toxicology I and II (you can take them in whatever order you want, no pre req or order), and gene expression. There's a facebook group too, join that and ask about other specific classes there.

If you are planning on graduating with the oral biology concentration read the requirements on the GSBS website and make sure you plan ahead. Very limited number of classes that qualify the major requirement but there are enough if you try.
Good luck.

Do you complete in 1 year?

Which was the most difficult class and which was the most easiest class?

Did You work while as a student ?

Hi what was your sgpa/bcp?

Does anyone know how big the dental scholars program is for fall?