Rutgers Dental vs. Buffalo Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

think30

Reaction score
Hi guys!!

I am so fortunate to be deciding between these two amazing schools. I am a new york resident so I will have in state tuition at buffalo which is a huge plus! I will be able to get in state tuition at rutgers dental school after the first year which makes a huge difference! I am 24 years old and feel like my quality of life will be way better at rutgers because it is closer to NYC, but you cannot beat the cost at buffalo! I crunched some numbers and Rutgers will come out to be roughly 60k more than buffalo at the end of four years. I absolutely know I want to specialize, but I think both schools have pretty high match rates. Please if someone has ANYYYY advice on clinical experience, administration, student life, ANYTHING!! about these two amazing schools please please let me know!!! Thank you thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!!

I am so fortunate to be deciding between these two amazing schools. I am a new york resident so I will have in state tuition at buffalo which is a huge plus! I will be able to get in state tuition at rutgers dental school after the first year which makes a huge difference! I am 24 years old and feel like my quality of life will be way better at rutgers because it is closer to NYC, but you cannot beat the cost at buffalo! I crunched some numbers and Rutgers will come out to be roughly 60k more than buffalo at the end of four years. I absolutely know I want to specialize, but I think both schools have pretty high match rates. Please if someone has ANYYYY advice on clinical experience, administration, student life, ANYTHING!! about these two amazing schools please please let me know!!! Thank you thank you!
cheapest

I second @ spidermedic! $60k won't make that much of a difference when it comes down to weighing your happiness with money. If you think your quality of life will be better at a school, considering the cost of the difference, I'd choose that one. Dental school is going to be challenging so it's best to consider your mental health in that decision when you have options. Congrats on your acceptances!!

Reactions: 1 user
The general rule is to go to the cheapest school (for example always pick the $200k school vs $500k school). You're not giving us solid numbers but I assume the costs will be $380k vs $320k? If so 60k in this case is a decent chunk but not so much that you should let it dictate the next 4+ years of your life. I say go with Rutgers if that will be better for your mental health. $60k (even with high interest) will have little to no effect on your overall quality of life over the next 30 years.
Thank you so much for your reply !!! I did in fact choose Rutgers!

Reactions: 1 user