Rutger's Biomedical sciences program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program is better?

• Rutger's Biomedical Science

• LECOM post-bacc

• Barry University

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gradtodent

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I recently got accepted to the Rutgers biomedical sciences program and I have a few of questions about it. I am pre-dental and an out of state student. Can someone please shed a light on what percentage of people get accepted to dental school after this program? What classes should I take if I plan on finishing this program in one year? Also, how hard is this program overall? What is the best place to live? Is there financial aid available? When do classes start? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure the money I spend here leads to dental school one day. If the percentage is not great, should I wait and apply to LECOM post-bacc for fall 2017 since they have a 94% chance of acceptance to their grad schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have answers to any of those individual questions, but the program you attend matters less than what you do with that program, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You're so right but there are some programs out there that have a linkage to their dental schools or a higher percentage of people go to dental school after the masters. I just wanted to make sure that I am spending my money wisely since Rutgers is expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no link/bridge program from Rutgers GSBS with their dental school. That being said the program is good in my opinion for preparing you for the work load that you will be expected to handle during dental school. There is a ton of material and if you're aiming for a 1 year finish it may be challenging. If you're planning on coming in for the spring semester I would recommend staying away from the courses that require prior authorization (the dental/medical school courses) they are a step up from the grad school courses, give yourself a semester to get acquainted with the workload.

Can't say exact numbers for entry into dental school after since I don't know them but they shouldnt really matter much to you. This program is taught at a respectable state university and if you put in the work it you should be fine for the application cycle. Make sure you search the forums here for some info (take everything with a grain of salt). Most of the question you can think of have already been answered but every situation is unique, overqualified by a little dont settle for the minimum.

Good luck with the cycle.

If you need more info about the gsbs you can message me here but its finals week so don't know when or if Ill be checking my messages

Reactions: 1 users
In my own personal experience with Rutgers unless you are in-state or you have amazing grades and a DAT score, it is hard to get into. I had average stats and I participated in Gateway to Dentistry and they talked about the whole time during the program how they love gateway students and how many students that currently go there used to be gateway students. I was super hopeful since they had 2 weeks to get to know me but I was rejected this morning. So I would choose the program you feel you will do the best in and what looks like the best program to send to the admissions committee. IMO it ultimately all comes down to your scores so pick a school that sets you up best for success

I was accepted into the Rutgers program and Barry BMS. I chose Barry and it has been the best decision of my life pertaining to gaining acceptance into dental school. They have a very impressive reputation for getting students into dental schools. If Rutgers is your dream school then your best bet is their Masters program but otherwise I would STRONGLY recommend Barry BMS. Call the BMS office and ask them for the number of students accepted. Good luck!

You should try for the dental scholars program within Rutgers GSBS

I can vouch for the program at Rutgers. Finished it in December (3 semesters but 1 year is doable). Most of the students that attend the program are OOS. Don't attend this program if you're hoping it will help you get into the dental school there. The advisors/admins make a good point of stressing that the program will help you get in somewhere...just not necessarily there. There are a few schools that know the program very well and like gsbs applicants. The same could be said for Barry's program.

Best place to live: Your choice. They offer graduate housing which are on the university's shuttle line...one apartment building is connected directly to the dental/med schools which is extremely convenient. A number of people commute from OOS or live off campus. Living "on campus" isn't cheap but I thought it was worth it.

Financial aid is available given that it's a graduate program. Assuming that you qualify, you'd receive 20,500/yr in direct federal loans and could borrow grad plus loans to cover everything else. Of course it's in your best interest to seek outside scholarships/have support from family in order to reduce loans. Either way you'll be able to finance the program.

When classes start is slightly subjective...it depends on what you choose to take. You can find a list of offered courses for the current spring/previous fall semesters on the rutgers website. Compare that with the requirements on the website and you'll get a better idea of what a schedule there would look like. Consider this for any other program you're interested in attending.

Difficulty of the program is also subjective in assessment. As it is a graduate program you will definitely be challenged as a student. Some students enter the program hoping to coast through by taking the "Easiest courses" they can find...that only goes as far as one or two courses. There are plenty of course reviews on sdn and the class facebook group if you want to know which classes would best suit your needs/interests. The faculty are truly pro-student IMO and there's a lot of collaboration amongst students since there isn't class rank/competition.

This program won't guarantee you entrance to any school, and the same can be said for every graduate program out there. It's up to you to enhance your application profile to the best of your ability. A number of people do extremely well in the program and their efforts have been rewarded. On the other hand, others treat it as if it's freshman year of college and nearly fail out then complain that the program didn't help them. The program's what you make of it and you receive what you put into it. Again it's not a guarantee but it will help with your chances of being granted interviews as long as the remainder of your application is solid. It's up to you to really sell the interview in your best attempt to obtain an acceptance.

Quick GSBS stats:
Grad GPA: 3.95
Completed concentration in oral biology (includes taking courses with D1 students).
60 hour research rotation
Reapplicant for dental schools. First time = no interviews. Second time = 8 interviews so far. More than 1 acceptance.

I think both Barry and Rutgers are good programs. My decision ultimately came down to preference based on my interests. I'm from New England so I wanted a place closer to home, plus on-campus housing since I wouldn't be bringing a car to either place. I wanted more freedom in selecting courses, liked that Rutgers had a required 60 hour research rotation that was built into a required course, and wanted the opportunity to take D1 courses. If you wanna know anything else feel free to pm me

Reactions: 3 users
Any one Starting the program this summer of 2017?

Could any current students or previous student of the NEWARK GBMS provide insight and recommend a schedule to take for the First semester . .

I plan on asking for Dental Histology and Dental Neuro science

Any one Starting the program this summer of 2017?

Could any current students or previous student of the NEWARK GBMS provide insight and recommend a schedule to take for the First semester . .

I plan on asking for Dental Histology and Dental Neuro science

For whatever reason they won't let masters students take both together. Kudos to you though for being quite ambitious!

For whatever reason they won't let masters students take both together. Kudos to you though for being quite ambitious!

what schedule/courses would you recommend for a 1 year course

thank you ahead of time

Congrats to all who got accepted! I've been accepted into the program too!

Last edited: