RUSM interview 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beachymed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just made an appointment with an interviewer from RUSM on oct 10 and I'm so nervous! Can anyone please let me know what kind of questions they ask and what the acceptance rate is once you get an interview!?

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

They interview?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They ask questions like “what’s your credit score?” and “do you have a loan guarantor?”.

It’s also common for them to check your pulse at the door. They only accept applicants with a pulse, so make sure you have yours handy.

You know, the usual.

(Please don’t go to the Caribbean. It almost always ends up being a horrible decision)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
They ask questions like “what’s your credit score?” and “do you have a loan guarantor?”.

It’s also common for them to check your pulse at the door. They only accept applicants with a pulse, so make sure you have yours handy.

You know, the usual.

(Please don’t go to the Caribbean. It almost always ends up being a horrible decision)
haha!
I was really looking forward to a serious answer but I guess I also anticipated this.
I actually have heard, witnessed and met a lot of amazing Drs from Ross and St. George's, so thank you so much for your concern but I know what I'm doing! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Initially thought RUSM was Rush for some reason...

Reactions: 7 users
Real talk though, didn't their campus get wiped out? And wasn't there some drama about them not supporting the stranded students?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!

I just made an appointment with an interviewer from RUSM on oct 10 and I'm so nervous! Can anyone please let me know what kind of questions they ask and what the acceptance rate is once you get an interview!?

to answer your question, i recall someone around here saying that the caribbean interviews consist of only a few questions like tell me about yourself and why medicine.

i don't think they reject anyone they interview unless they die during the interview

lastly, im assuming your avatar is you right? you should probably change that to something that isn't you

to answer your question, i recall someone around here saying that the caribbean interviews consist of only a few questions like tell me about yourself and why medicine.

i don't think they reject anyone they interview unless they die during the interview

lastly, im assuming your avatar is you right? you should probably change that to something that isn't you
Thank you :)

haha!
I was really looking forward to a serious answer but I guess I also anticipated this.
I actually have heard, witnessed and met a lot of amazing Drs from Ross and St. George's, so thank you so much for your concern but I know what I'm doing! :)

So you are aware that the chances you're going to match into any specialty outside of FM, IM, psych, Gen Surg Prelim is very small. And that you have to set up your own clinical rotations in 3rd/4th year all across the country meaning you'll be traveling a lot. The very high chance that you may be saddled with hundreds of thousands of student debt without any real way to pay for them?

Out of curiosity, what is making you willing to take these chances outside of meeting amazing Ross and SGU grads?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are aware that the chances you're going to match into any specialty outside of FM, IM, psych, Gen Surg Prelim is very small. And that you have to set up your own clinical rotations in 3rd/4th year all across the country meaning you'll be traveling a lot. The very high chance that you may be saddled with hundreds of thousands of student debt without any real way to pay for them?

Out of curiosity, what is making you willing to take these chances outside of meeting amazing Ross and SGU grads?
You'll need to help me here with the abbreviations. I'm kinda new to all of this. FM? IM? I'm assuming gen surg = general surgery?
I know about the traveling and setting up my own rotations, which I am ok with.
And I'm not too worried about debt as I do have a solid plan to pay for medical school.
Honestly, the last couple of years have been pretty unpredictable and ****ty. I lost my dad and my undergrad life kind of hit rock bottom. I managed to pull my GPA up to 3.00 after I got out of the mess and did pretty average on the MCAT. I'm not confident I will be accepted to any US medical school and I don't think handling rejections would be good for my psyche right now.
I just need a small break.
I fully understand all of the challenges that comes with Carib schools, and I think I could be one of the few that make it if I keep my eyes on the prize.

You'll need to help me here with the abbreviations. I'm kinda new to all of this. FM? IM? I'm assuming gen surg = general surgery?
And I'm not too worried about debt as I do have a solid plan to pay for medical school.
Honestly, the last couple of years have been pretty unpredictable and ****ty. I lost my dad and my undergrad life kind of hit rock bottom. I managed to pull my GPA up to 3.00 after I got out of the mess and did pretty average on the MCAT. I'm not confident I will be accepted to any US medical school and I don't think handling rejections would be good for my psyche right now.
I fully understand all of the challenges that comes with Carib schools, and I think I could be one of the few that make it if I keep my eyes on the prize.

fm = family medicine, im= internal medicine

if you have a 3.0 you could possibly go DO. depends on your mcat. have you looked into that ?

i won't judge you because i actually know a few people through my SO that have been successful with that route though they had connections. as long as you know its extremely risky

What was your MCAT? Have you considered the DO route?

fm = family medicine, im= internal medicine

if you have a 3.0 you could possibly go DO. depends on your mcat. have you looked into that ?

i won't judge you because i actually know a few people through my SO that have been successful with that route though they had connections. as long as you know its extremely risky
Thank you for the clear up!
I actually know a few who are pretty successful Drs now who went through Ross, they all say the same thing: "The school provides you with all the same resources as US schools but it's up to you how you use it."
I'm just super nervous about the interview, I don't want to be rejected or MERPed.

My MCAT is 487, it's pretty bad.

OP please, please reconsider this. I get that there's a lot of negative nonsense on SDN sometimes but that doesn't mean it's all incorrect; your MCAT suggests you're not ready to handle medical school. At the end of the day, US MD/DO admissions are so competitive because they're trying to put together a class of people they expect to all succeed. You're not competitive for US schools right now because pure likely not ready to take on medical school, here or abroad.

That's not saying you can't get to that point but rushing into a Carib program because you feel desperate isn't gonna end well. It doesn't matter how many docs you've meant that went there. This is a seriously jeopardizing scenario you're puttinrbf yourself in. Take a gap year, do a post bacc, etc. get ready for med school then go to one that isn't trying to prey on your current situation. A 487 isn't "pretty average" on the MCAT. In sorry you've faced difficulties, please please see how choosing this path will just make your life more challenging.

Reactions: 3 users
3.0 and 487...not trying to be a d!ck, but what makes you sure that you'll be able to pass your board exams?

I say this because I would hate for you to waste 2 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars you probably don't have. I've seen it happen! I also know people who have done well from carib schools and matched anesthesiology, but they had great stats and couldn't get into US schools because of trouble with the law (pulled a knife on someone, DUI, etc.)

Just saying, most people can't get into medical school (MD and DO) for a reason! It's nothing personal, but I'm not sure if medicine is right for you.

OP, I guess you've made up your mind, but all over the internet, people say that there is only one type of student that may possibly do okay after the Caribbean, and that's someone who has a good MCAT and maybe a GPA that can't be overcome or some type of institutional action. There is a direct correlation between MCAT scores and success on Step 1 and beyond. There are better ways to throw away $300k.

The Caribbean might be a decent option eventually, once you exhaust your other options first (we all know successful carib students and doctors). But in no way should you go to RUSM or SGU with an MCAT that low. You need to be able to prove to yourself first that you can absorb information quickly and do at least average on the MCAT. The firehose of info thrown at you in med school is real and you will have to pass exams that are just as hard as the MCAT. The easy part is getting in to offshore schools. The hard part is then keeping up and doing well. If you have a low GPA and MCAT, it shows you aren't ready for this. You need to first prove to yourself that you can take the MCAT and do well. As someone who got into med school with a low MCAT score (500) roughly 50th percentile of people taking the exam, I speak from experience that people will be running in circles around you and it won't be any easier once you get in, test taking skill/grades does correlate to success. No business applying with a 487 sorry. The people MOST LIKELY to be successful going to the Caribbean are people who have proven before they got there that they can handle the workload by having a good MCAT score. If you ask any of the successful carib grad/posters here whether its @Skip Intro , @the argus , @bedevilled ben etc I am willing to bet they all scored high 20s low 30s on the MCAT and probably would have been successful at any med school. That is the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why not retake the MCAT after re-evaluating your study skills and apply for DO? Full disclosure, I did absolutely awful on the MCAT a couple of years back but retook it this year. I now have a DO acceptance and a MD interview. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but to encourage you about applying to medical schools in the US first. Please don't give up!

The Caribbean might be a decent option eventually, once you exhaust your other options first (we all know successful carib students and doctors). But in no way should you go to RUSM or SGU with an MCAT that low. You need to be able to prove to yourself first that you can absorb information quickly and do at least average on the MCAT. The firehose of info thrown at you in med school is real and you will have to pass exams that are just as hard as the MCAT. The easy part is getting in to offshore schools. The hard part is then keeping up and doing well. If you have a low GPA and MCAT, it shows you aren't ready for this. You need to first prove to yourself that you can take the MCAT and do well. As someone who got into med school with a low MCAT score (500) roughly 50th percentile of people taking the exam, I speak from experience that people will be running in circles around you and it won't be any easier once you get in, test taking skill/grades does correlate to success. No business applying with a 487 sorry. The people MOST LIKELY to be successful going to the Caribbean are people who have proven before they got there that they can handle the workload by having a good MCAT score. If you ask any of the successful carib grad/posters here whether its @Skip Intro , @the argus , @bedevilled ben etc I am willing to bet they all scored high 20s low 30s on the MCAT and probably would have been successful at any med school. That is the difference.

boss man, what is your experience with the Caribbean?

OP, you asked a simple question. I'm sorry you did not get a simple response and you are getting expert opinion from people who know absolutely nothing about a Caribbean medical school.

To answer your question, the Caribbean med school interview is not like a US med school interview since you're not exactly fighting for a spot. If they interview you, you're pretty much in unless you can't speak English or you have no way to finance. Honestly, I believe that's what the interview for a Caribbean school is really for.

They'll ask you the standard stuff about why medicine, blah blah blah, but they will most probably ask you a few more questions like...

1. How you will finance your education
2. What specialty are you interested in
3. Something that shows you are human so that they know you will survive on the island.

For example, if they ask you what do you like to do for fun? Don't say "I like to read medical journals in my spare time." Just be honest and say what you really like to do.

I'm in the process of writing an article about the Caribbean and I think someone like you could benefit form it as I attended a few terms in the Caribbean myself. Stay tuned.

OP, you asked a simple question. I'm sorry you did not get a simple response and you are getting expert opinion from people who know absolutely nothing about a Caribbean medical school.

To answer your question, the Caribbean med school interview is not like a US med school interview since you're not exactly fighting for a spot. If they interview you, you're pretty much in unless you can't speak English or you have no way to finance. Honestly, I believe that's what the interview for a Caribbean school is really for.

They'll ask you the standard stuff about why medicine, blah blah blah, but they will most probably ask you a few more questions like...

3. Something that shows you are human so that they know you will survive on the island.

For example, if they ask you what do you like to do for fun? Don't say "I like to read medical journals in my spare time." Just be honest and say what you really like to do.

I'm in the process of writing an article about the Caribbean and I think someone like you could benefit form it as I attended a few terms in the Caribbean myself. Stay tuned.

actually her question was already answered and people who know things about those schools have also chimed in so maybe learn to read

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the polite warnings she is being given. she may very well be successful but with that score...none of us, including her, know if it will be a mistake

Last edited:
actually her question was already answered and people who know things about those schools have also chimed in so maybe learn to read

Be careful next time. I had to report your post due to your language. Please play by the rules.

boss man, what is your experience with the Caribbean?

What is your experience with Ross? Two can play this game.

Medical school is medical school and a 487 on the MCAT is a 487 on the MCAT, and what it means is someone hasn't mastered college intro level science courses to a passable standard, the only standard schools have to evaluate one's readiness for a medical curriculum. If they can't do passably on this test its a red flag on their readiness for a grueling science curriculum in medical school. If they aren't willing to commit 3 months to restudy and retake the MCAT then its a red flag on how committed they are to an 8 year journey of medical school and postgrad training. Pretty simple advice.

Last edited:
What is your experience with Ross? Two can play this game.

Medical school is medical school and a 487 on the MCAT is a 487 on the MCAT, and what it means is someone hasn't mastered college intro level science courses to a passable standard, the only standard schools have to evaluate one's readiness for a medical curriculum. If they can't do passably on this test its a red flag on their readiness for a grueling science curriculum in medical school. If they aren't willing to commit 3 months to restudy and retake the MCAT then its a red flag on how committed they are to an 8 year journey of medical school and postgrad training. Pretty simple advice.

That post of yours that I quoted had a lot of "extra advice" in it.

That post of yours that I quoted had a lot of "extra advice" in it.

I totally understand your perspective of at least offering that Carib schools are a viable option, as they have proven to be for many. But in OPs case, it would be highly risky with the reported MCAT, that really is unarguable.

I totally understand your perspective of at least offering that Carib schools are a viable option, as they have proven to be for many. But in OPs case, it would be highly risky with the reported MCAT, that really is unarguable.

I agree that there is risk involved. The thing with the Caribbean is that you can't just pick random people and say "this person is going to succeed and this person won't" because, from my experience at least, good students can fail out and average students can actually make it out. That's what's so perplexing about this route and a lot of people don't really understand.

My article will help explain this phenomenon a little better. It's hard to explain in small posts. But for now, yeah I agree that the OP is taking a GIANT risk with that MCAT.

OP, after traumatic events we all have defense mechanisms to cope. 487 is nowhere near average... 500 is the median for all MCAT takers, and 508-510ish is the median for US MD matriculants. 487 is about a 14-15 on the old scale. You're not ready to enter this field yet. Change up your studies, and if you can't do significantly better than 487, it's time to look for something else before going into 6-digit debt. Not trying to be mean. GL

You are the sheep these predators prey upon. The business model mandates it. Your MCAT score puts you in a major risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing boards.

Pod school might be an option. Otherwise, consider why you did so poorly on MCAT, fix those deficits, and try the DO route . If not that, then it's time for Plan B.

And that you have to set up your own clinical rotations in 3rd/4th year all across the country meaning you'll be traveling a lot.
That part is not true. I have stayed in the same house for years 3 and 4. No one with Ross sets up their own 3rd year anymore. I have set up none of my own 4th yr, except to request a specific attending for a community medicine rotation. A lot of people still do parts of their 4th year but we have a database we enter to select electives.

And yes, Ross does interview. Not everyone gets in. Students with low grades or scores have to go to a pre-medschool boot camp type thing before being allowed to start. I have heard it sucks but if you fail, you get your money back.

people say that there is only one type of student that may possibly do okay after the Caribbean, and that's someone who has a good MCAT and maybe a GPA that can't be overcome or some type of institutional action.

Why would someone with a good gpa be at a disadvantage? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm genuinely curious. I had a good MCAT, a great GPA, and almost no money for applications when I tried to apply in the US. I went to Ross after being offered a generous scholarship.

That part is not true. I have stayed in the same house for years 3 and 4. No one with Ross sets up their own 3rd year anymore. I have set up none of my own 4th yr, except to request a specific attending for a community medicine rotation. A lot of people still do parts of their 4th year but we have a database we enter to select electives.

And yes, Ross does interview. Not everyone gets in. Students with low grades or scores have to go to a pre-medschool boot camp type thing before being allowed to start. I have heard it sucks but if you fail, you get your money back.

Why would someone with a good gpa be at a disadvantage? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm genuinely curious. I had a good MCAT, a great GPA, and almost no money for applications when I tried to apply in the US. I went to Ross after being offered a generous scholarship.

Umm I never said that someone with a good GPA would be at a disadvantage. I hope you're able to match for residency.

Umm I never said that someone with a good GPA would be at a disadvantage. I hope you're able to match for residency.

Oops...now I see that maybe.

Thank you. I really hope I match. With only 1 interview it's 26:140. Not a good sign.

Off topic--that 3 digit MCAT score leaves me feeling ancient.

Hey guys!

How did your interview go? I am still waiting on mine

How did your interview go? I am still waiting on mine
I have no clue. I keep thinking about the questions afterwards and how I could answer it better haha. My interviewer has a great poker face so no chance to tell what's going on in her head. I guess we'll see..

Thank you! Your words really uplift my spirit!

Thank you! Your words really uplift my spirit!

Ross University Interview

I posted that in 2013. Please read that. Not much has changed.

Incidentally, the poster that it was in response to will be graduating this coming May, and is currently in the "Match" for a residency spot. I hope she also keeps us posted on that outcome.

-Skip

I have no clue. I keep thinking about the questions afterwards and how I could answer it better haha. My interviewer has a great poker face so no chance to tell what's going on in her head. I guess we'll see..

Good luck to you! I still haven't been contacted about an interview, but I was accepted to SGU for January and will most likely be attending. RUSM is moving way too slow for my taste and they never respond to e-mails. Major turn off.

I am currently a 4th yr at Ross. Just want to say that I really can tell the island getting hit by Maria has had quite an impact on Ross. For the first time, questions take days to answer. I have even had to resubmit a couple of questions. I never needed to do that before. Another unusual thing is *when* things get done now. For instance: grade posting notification at 11:00 pm on a weekend.

I am currently a 4th yr at Ross. Just want to say that I really can tell the island getting hit by Maria has had quite an impact on Ross. For the first time, questions take days to answer. I have even had to resubmit a couple of questions. I never needed to do that before. Another unusual thing is *when* things get done now. For instance: grade posting notification at 11:00 pm on a weekend.

True, that could be why they are taking so long with the application process, and I do sympathize. However, I applied for January start term and we are already almost in November... I still haven't received ANY communication from them for a possible interview. I don't want to have to rush things at the last minute. SGU was my top choice anyway (doesn't hurt that they are below the hurricane belt) and they have been really great and supportive thus far. I am content and happy with going there, although I was curious about how Ross would have turned out. Although this could be for the best since the thought of starting my first term of medical school on a cruise ship is not very appealing.

Actually, the storm is not a good excuse for that. That should have been taken care of a long time ago. They are definitely being slow. Good luck at your first choice.

Hey guys!

Do not go to Ross.

Hey guys!

Did you get accepted?