Rural Based DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from a rural area and would like to live/learn and eventually practice in a rural/mountainy-foothills type area. Are there any DO schools which have a rural location AND a rural mission on the east coast/appalachian region? I know a lot are underserved-based, but I dont know if there are any with rural locations and rural hospital type clerkship relationships with an emphasis on that type of care. I wouldn't really feel at home living in a big city like I am in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Wvsom is your go to bet. Im starting there this year and sounds like u would fit right in. Its a good school too.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with JimBone. Also going to be a 1st year at WVSOM this year. Moved down this week, and not only is it a great school, the community is very supportive and everyone is nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wvsom is your go to bet. Im starting there this year and sounds like u would fit right in. Its a good school too.
I agree with JimBone. Also going to be a 1st year at WVSOM this year. Moved down this week, and not only is it a great school, the community is very supportive and everyone is nice.
yup WVSOM, I got an II their last year but did not attend
WVSOM does look very nice! I checked their match rates and over 25% of their class matched into IM last year, so that Is even better! This school will definitely be high on my list when the time comes.

I am from a rural area and would like to live/learn and eventually practice in a rural/mountainy-foothills type area. Are there any DO schools which have a rural location AND a rural mission on the east coast/appalachian region? I know a lot are underserved-based, but I dont know if there are any with rural locations and rural hospital type clerkship relationships with an emphasis on that type of care. I wouldn't really feel at home living in a big city like I am in undergrad.
Kycom
Wvom
Vcom

I will say that KCOM and KCU-joplin would be a good choice for you, although southern midwest moreso than Appalachia. still likely a good fit

Not DO, but Marshall, WVU, and Geisinger want rural physicians. Jefferson has a rural physician program you can apply for.

I remember from my interview last year that UNECOM is starting to put a bigger focus on rural medicine. It's in a beautiful area too, I wouldn't mind ending up practicing in rural Maine

WVSOM has your name on it. I think VCOM puts a pretty heavy emphasis on rural medicine too.
WVSOM does look very nice! I checked their match rates and over 25% of their class matched into IM last year, so that Is even better! This school will definitely be high on my list when the time comes.

When I was applying I was able to get a decade's worth of WVSOM match lists and to this day I think WVSOM is a sneaky good school that gets overlooked a lot. Yeah most of the class is PC (IM, FM, Peds, Psych, etc) but every year they randomly had at least one or two "wow" matches (think MD cardio thoracics, derm, urology) a handful of really solid matches (AOA ortho, ENT).

Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM has your name on it. I think VCOM puts a pretty heavy emphasis on rural medicine too.

When I was applying I was able to get a decade's worth of WVSOM match lists and to this day I think WVSOM is a sneaky good school that gets overlooked a lot. Yeah most of the class is PC (IM, FM, Peds, Psych, etc) but every year they randomly had at least one or two "wow" matches (think MD cardio thoracics, derm, urology) a handful of really solid matches (AOA ortho, ENT).
I know my app season is a while away, but I think I would be very happy to be accepted there from what everyone has told me and what I've read.

I will say that KCOM and KCU-joplin would be a good choice for you, although southern midwest moreso than Appalachia. still likely a good fit

Where does everyone keep getting that Joplin is rural? The metro area is 400k and our daytime population is around 240k.

Where does everyone keep getting that Joplin is rural? The metro area is 400k and our daytime population is around 240k.

THAT'S BFE BRO. 1 MIL POPULATION OR BUST

/s yeah it's pretty amazing what some people classify as "rural"

Reactions: 3 users
Joplin is 50k people, not 240k. The whole metro include Miami is probably 200k

@ndt7485 and the next line is daytime population: the people who come into Joplin to work during the day. The sleeping population is around 50k, I agree.

Last edited:
Who considers 50k rural?

I grew up in one of the most remote areas in the US, classified "frontier". Went to college in a small town in an absolutely barren state. I almost attended Joplin, there arent many medical schools in more rural places

If you want a rural feel, I can't think of any medical schools in populations with <50k people off the top of my head other than KCOM and KYCOM. Nodak has to be the most rural MD

If you want a rural feel, I can't think of any medical schools in populations with <50k people off the top of my head other than KCOM and KYCOM. Nodak has to be the most rural MD

LMU, KCOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, MNCOM, I mean.... there are more than a few DO schools in places with much less than 50k. WVSOM is in Lewisburg which has 3900....

Joplin is not rural.

LMU, KCOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, MNCOM, I mean.... there are more than a few DO schools in places with much less than 50k. WVSOM is in Lewisburg which has 3900....

Joplin is not rural.

most people apply to more than 4 med schools, still seeking best fit. is that mn school going through

OP, have you considered penn state Hershey? Seems to fit the bill pretty well. MD school though.

I will probably be limiting my MD schools to my state schools, so about 3. The rest will probably be DO schools in and around NC, so looking at around 12 schools in total with MD and DO. I don't think I will have a lot of resources to expend flying and interviewing to a bunch of schools unfortunately, so I will need to drive everywhere. I am trying to have a good first cycle, if that makes any sense. Penn might be a bit too far. All very tenative at this point, though.

CUSOM is a good DO school doing a great job in NC.