Runaway Groom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
runawaygrooms2.jpg

I recently watched this documentary by Ali Kazimi, entitled "Runaway Grooms". Its about these low life men that marry women back in India, take the dowry, run away to some foreign place (in this documentary its in Canada and England) for 1 year, then get a divorce from their wives, without even telling them that they are actually being divorced.

Apparently during the 1960's in India, the giving and recieving of dowry was against the law. But yet, this practise still occurs till this day.

The two main women that were the focus of this documentary was Namita Jain and Nandita Kaur (I think thats what her first name was). The first bride's family had to hand over 50,000 dollars, and the grooms side said that if she didn't, then she wouldn't be able to see her husband. The second bride got married to a photo of her soon-to-be-husband. She assumed that since the husband was "good looking, that he would be very nice". She ended up getting abused.

I personally don't think that dowries should be given at a marriage. I know now they are considered as "wedding presents", but the grooms side should be giving something as well. I really do not understand the S.Asian obession with gold. I don't like it, I don't want it, and it is completely useless to me.

Anyways, I think everyone should see this movie. I had the oppurtunity to meet the director, and he is really passionate about his work. For all you ladies out there that are getting pushed by their parents to get married, you should know how persuasion forces manipulation upon unsuspecting families.

CBC: Passionate Eye docs

Wednesday April 20, 2005 at 9pm on CBC-TV
repeating Monday June 6, 2005 at 10pm ET/PT on CBC Newsworld

"They have ruined my life, my whole life, my career-everything."- an abondoneed bride

Indian weddingThe Indian bride is so beautiful she looks like a Bollywood film star. The groom is central casting's handsome leading man. The event has the fairy tale quality of all weddings. The groom even arrives on a white horse. Best of all, the bride fulfills her family's hopes for her to leave India for a life of great promise in Canada, where the groom now lives. But in their great eagerness to please their son-in-law, the bride's family has failed to realize this traditionally arranged marriage is just an elaborate scam, a set up for extortion.

A prospective groom carries great status in India if he is a permanent resident or citizen of a Western country, like Canada. After the bride's family pays an initial dowry and the wedding takes place, the groom usually returns to the West, promising to file papers for his new wife so she can join him. But in a growing number of cases, once the groom is safely back home, he or his family typically demand a new dowry ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 (or more). The woman's chances of joining her husband are tied to her parents' response to the extortion, who are typically unable to comply. In most cases, the women wait, and not only do the papers never come, but all contact with their husbands is lost.

Runaway Grooms, by award-winning filmmaker Ali Kazimi, vividly explores this culture of patriarchy, shame and honour. And it puts a human face to this growing problem by profiling the painful stories of two abandoned brides. Through them we come to understand the myriad ways that social structures, customs and Canadian laws make it possible for these women to be so horribly exploited. Kazimi also confronts one of the husbands, now in Vancouver, who sees not his bride, but himself as the hapless victim and injured party

It's common knowledge that many men of Indian origin travel to India to marry and bring their brides to the West. But what has remained unknown till now is the large number of brides who are abandoned. There are estimated to be at least 10,000 such cases in the state of Punjab alone. Once in Canada, these scheming grooms have relatively little or no difficulty in obtaining a quick divorce. Their abandoned brides often don't know about the divorce proceeding until it is too late to contest. Workers in Ontario courts, alone, have witnessed a burgeoning number of quick divorces filed by Canadian men of East Indian origin after being wed in India.

Runaway Grooms is produced and directed by Ali Kazimi of Asli Films in association with the CBC.

Members don't see this ad.

sunny123 said:
runawaygrooms2.jpg

I recently watched this documentary by Ali Kazimi, entitled "Runaway Grooms". Its about these low life men that marry women back in India, take the dowry, run away to some foreign place (in this documentary its in Canada and England) for 1 year, then get a divorce from their wives, without even telling them that they are actually being divorced.

Apparently during the 1960's in India, the giving and recieving of dowry was against the law. But yet, this practise still occurs till this day.

The two main women that were the focus of this documentary was Namita Jain and Nandita Kaur (I think thats what her first name was). The first bride's family had to hand over 50,000 dollars, and the grooms side said that if she didn't, then she wouldn't be able to see her husband. The second bride got married to a photo of her soon-to-be-husband. She assumed that since the husband was "good looking, that he would be very nice". She ended up getting abused.

I personally don't think that dowries should be given at a marriage. I know now they are considered as "wedding presents", but the grooms side should be giving something as well. I really do not understand the S.Asian obession with gold. I don't like it, I don't want it, and it is completely useless to me.

Anyways, I think everyone should see this movie. I had the oppurtunity to meet the director, and he is really passionate about his work. For all you ladies out there that are getting pushed by their parents to get married, you should know how persuasion forces manipulation upon unsuspecting families.

happened to my friend's sis.......but her dad made it sure that guy paid .....

meetlife said:
happened to my friend's sis.......but her dad made it sure that guy paid .....
You mean pay back all the money back right? What exactly were the circumstances (if you don't mind sharing)?

Members don't see this ad :)
my massi (canadian citizen) got married in india...the family seemed so perfect.... but when he got to canada...he stayed with her for 7-8 months...didn't work...just sat home and watched TV and made her go ou tin the snow to bring him stuff...like orange juice....and then he left her...just like that...he only married her to get there...he also took all her gold jewellery with him....sucks huh.....my family doesn't even mention it now.... its so scary.....
but....she's a strong woman....now she is happily re-married and has a cute kid...
just what is wrong with these men.....? have to be heartless to do something like that...to decieve someone in marriage

hopeful05 said:
my massi (canadian citizen) got married in india...the family seemed so perfect.... but when he got to canada...he stayed with her for 7-8 months...didn't work...just sat home and watched TV and made her go ou tin the snow to bring him stuff...like orange juice....and then he left her...just like that...he only married her to get there...he also took all her gold jewellery with him....sucks huh.....my family doesn't even mention it now.... its so scary.....
but....she's a strong woman....now she is happily re-married and has a cute kid...
just what is wrong with these men.....? have to be heartless to do something like that...to decieve someone in marriage
my friend's sister....... got married to this guy...her parents spent.......30 lakhs.....on marriage......canadian citizen........computer engineer......decent good looking.....everything............she stayed in INdia for one year....he would not let her come to canada........later she joined him in canada......only to find out he was already married......had a 2 year old kid......she went back to India...her parents are very infulential people........made his parents pay back every penny....
she is happily married now to a Neurosurgeon in Delhi.
I do not know.....its not abt getting money back........its abt losing faith .....about him being inhuman....stinks........

All I can say is just wow... I really cannot believe poeple would stoop soo low, just for the sake of making some fast cash. And you are right meetlife, it is about losing faith.... but at the same time, it is the bride's family that really lose out on a lot.

One other thing, the documenter, Ali Kazimi, said that this is most prevalent in Punjabi marriages. Since both of you are Punjabi, would you be able to confirm this.. menaing, have you heard lots of stories such as this? Within the documentary, Ali showed a former minister of parliament (I forget his name), who became an activist in Punjab, of these newly married women. There were soo many people at these rallies.

Congrats to both your massi (hopeful) and your friend's sis (meet), for being able to move on. The first girl in this documentary, Namita Jain, said the following "I wouldn't marry anyone that is divorced. India is not like the West where there is no stigma to becoming divorced. Even now, after I am divorced, who will want to marry me?"

I really hope that these evil people will pay a severe price for what they did, in this life or the next.

sunny123 said:
All I can say is just wow... I really cannot believe poeple would stoop soo low, just for the sake of making some fast cash. And you are right meetlife, it is about losing faith.... but at the same time, it is the bride's family that really lose out on a lot.

One other thing, the documenter, Ali Kazimi, said that this is most prevalent in Punjabi marriages. Since both of you are Punjabi, would you be able to confirm this.. menaing, have you heard lots of stories such as this? Within the documentary, Ali showed a former minister of parliament (I forget his name), who became an activist in Punjab, of these newly married women. There were soo many people at these rallies.

Congrats to both your massi (hopeful) and your friend's sis (meet), for being able to move on. The first girl in this documentary, Namita Jain, said the following "I wouldn't marry anyone that is divorced. India is not like the West where there is no stigma to becoming divorced. Even now, after I am divorced, who will want to marry me?"

I really hope that these evil people will pay a severe price for what they did, in this life or the next.
yes..it happens a lot in Punjab...cos there are so many punjabi's in USA and Canada and most of them are citizens.....or green card holders.....

A part of Punjab......like areas near Hoshiarpur........almost one person from every family is in US or Canada.......and their houses are like palaces.....the lifestyle those people back in India....its way too rich......

Exactly...the worst and trues cases are ........like a girl gets engaged to this Canadian Guy......but for VISA purpose they have to do a PSUEDO marriage....court marriage and if something goes wrong .....girl is like divorced...even without actual marriage.....way too sad..

All I can say is just wow... I really cannot believe poeple would stoop soo low, just for the sake of making some fast cash.

height of lowness .....there was a pic of a punjab police guy some years ago , middle aged man , with a note of 100 rupees blood stained , in his hand , standing near a pile of bodies . it was scene of a train accident near some village in early morning hours .

nokia said:
height of lowness .....there was a pic of a punjab police guy some years ago , middle aged man , with a note of 100 rupees blood stained , in his hand , standing near a pile of bodies . it was scene of a train accident near some village in early morning hours .
I dunno...for ages greed has made humann beings stoop so low.......

nokia said:
there is a very famous pic .........a palestenian kid.....10-12 year old.......hitting Israeli tanks with a stone....whole of America..said a lot abt that...but can a child with stone be a threat to an armed tank.....

meetlife said:
there is a very famous pic .........a palestenian kid.....10-12 year old.......hitting Israeli tanks with a stone....whole of America..said a lot abt that...but can a child with stone be a threat to an armed tank.....
look at the bigger pic ..it just reflects the state of mind of the kid ..or rather the attitude of the middle east towards west ..they r born with hatred towards westrens ...& west is all to blame for it ...not that poor kid .

nokia said:
look at the bigger pic ..it just reflects the state of mind of the kid ..or rather the attitude of the middle east towards west ..they r born with hatred towards westrens ...& west is all to blame for it ...not that poor kid .
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..its abt palestine and Israel ....and unwanted interference by USA........and the kind of environment those kids grow up in.....insecure.........

insecure ! well may b hatred ..just replicating what they all have been seeing , hearing abt isralies from ppl around them !

nokia said:
insecure ! well may b hatred ..just replicating what they all have been seeing , hearing abt isralies from ppl around them !

naaah....its like pakistaani...hindustaani thing.....Punjab is the bordering state to pakistan...at risk.....but do punjabi's actually hate paki's ...naaaa....weird........down south people hate paki's......I dunno why..is it ignorance.....or just a spite????
2 months ago there was a match...btw pakistan and India...at Mohali,Punjab......so many paki's had come to w atch the match....all the hotel prices were slashed...there were sales for them at chandigarh.....and so many residents offered to be hosts and accomodated these guys as guests......

itz really sad!i have heard soo many instances like this....!itz pathetic & cruel :mad: :mad: :mad: !
sunny123 said:
runawaygrooms2.jpg

nokia said:

In fact, it has nothing to do with what they have heard about Israelis from people around them, but what they have felt and experienced at the hands of Israelis during every day of their lives.

I spent several weeks in the West Bank two years ago and routinely saw Israeli soldiers beat up, harass - and in one case, murder - Palestinian children who were just walking to school or playing soccer outside. These were not "terrorists" but little kids who were not throwing rocks or in any way provoking soldiers to brutalise them.

The idea that "these people are inexplicably, irrationally taught hatred" is absolute nonsense, manufactured by a pro-Israeli American media (I don't say "Western media" because the Brits and the rest of Europe take a more evenhanded approach to Middle Eastern politics).

You don't have to be taught to hate Israelis when they break into your home and shoot your sleeping father in the dead of night. You don't have to be taught hatred when your home is bulldozed by Israelis in front of your very eyes.

I'm not saying that hating Israelis is a good, healthy, productive, or morally superior position, but let's allow for human nature and ask what we would do if put in a similar position. Travel to Israel/Palestine and see firsthand what I'm talking about.

(I apologise for the heavyhanded reply, but my visiting the region and studying it closely really opened my eyes.)

Hornet871 said:
In fact, it has nothing to do with what they have heard about Israelis from people around them, but what they have felt and experienced at the hands of Israelis during every day of their lives.

I spent several weeks in the West Bank two years ago and routinely saw Israeli soldiers beat up, harass - and in one case, murder - Palestinian children who were just walking to school or playing soccer outside. These were not "terrorists" but little kids who were not throwing rocks or in any way provoking soldiers to brutalise them.

The idea that "these people are inexplicably, irrationally taught hatred" is absolute nonsense, manufactured by a pro-Israeli American media (I don't say "Western media" because the Brits and the rest of Europe take a more evenhanded approach to Middle Eastern politics).

You don't have to be taught to hate Israelis when they break into your home and shoot your sleeping father in the dead of night. You don't have to be taught hatred when your home is bulldozed by Israelis in front of your very eyes.

I'm not saying that hating Israelis is a good, healthy, productive, or morally superior position, but let's allow for human nature and ask what we would do if put in a similar position. Travel to Israel/Palestine and see firsthand what I'm talking about.

(I apologise for the heavyhanded reply, but my visiting the region and studying it closely really opened my eyes.)

i agree with each & every word of urs ...isralies with the back support of US ..really mesing things up in middle east ..& i bet they r going to pay price for it...but humanity will b the biggest loser more than anything else ..
& europe is doing a good decent job i think in this reagrd ..specially france , germany etc. but UK ..i think is just stuck with US ..thanx to some old relations ....well the rise of asia will do some damage control i guess in ...distant future !

Let's keep the middle east talks out of this thread please, as its not related to Indian marriages..... thank you

Anyways, this is another documentary that really had an effect on me. It's called the "Murdered Bride". It's about these two young Punjabi Sikh people (Jassi and Sukhwinder), who fell in love, and secretly got married. The bride's family did not approve of the groom because he was of a lower caste, "very dark", and "unattractive" according to the bride's massi. This girl lived in Canada, with her mother and mama. She was terrified of her uncle, but yet she ran away from her home in Canada, back to India, where she could be with her husband. Once her uncle found out, he organized the kidnapping of his neice, and her mother of all people gave the order to kill her OWN DAUGHTER!!

This documentary was very sad to watch. I didn't understand why the family objected to Jassi's marrying to Sukhwinder, because he wasn't bad looking at all, and they both looked well together as a couple....

Anyways, just very surprised to see what lengths a family would take to preserve their caste.

CBC Fifth Estate: Murdered Bride

Saquinder Sidhu starts his day with a ritual. Quietly, in the heat and haze of the early morning, he takes a pen and writes the name Jassi in the palm of his hand. And all day, many times a day, when he's feeling sad and needs the comfort of her memory, he opens his hand, looks at her name, and whispers it to himself.

Jassi was his wife. Tall and slim, with flowing long hair the colour of a raven, she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. They flirted, met secretly, and fell in love. Theirs was a romance of stolen phone calls and desperate letters, of furtive rendezvous charged with the excitement of being together and the fear of being found out. They both understood theirs was a forbidden love.

CBC ON DEMAND: Watch this documentary on CBC Television's video on demand service available through Rogers Digital Cable and Shaw Digital Cable. More

Jassi Sidhu was Canadian; her immediate family long ago traded life in the agricultural heartland of India's Punjab province for a new and more promising future in British Columbia. She grew up in two worlds, between the socially unencumbered and informal ways of the west, and the more traditional rituals of her ancestral culture. When she was in her late teens, her family followed the accepted custom and began to help her search for a suitable husband.

Instead, on a trip to her maternal home village, she met Saquinder, known to everyone by his nickname, Mithu. He was impossibly good looking and athletic. But he hardly met the criteria for suitability, and they both knew it. He lived in a two-room cement and brick house with a widowed mother and younger brother. He drove a rickshaw taxi: a cross between a motorcycle and open air jeep, that can seat about ten people if they squeeze in, and can transport as many as 60 if they climb on the roof or clutch the many handrails protruding from all directions. Technically, he belonged to the same cast as Jassi, but, though unrelated, they shared the same last name and their ancestors came from the same village, all details that made him unsuitable. As well, he was her economic inferior.

Mithu and Jassi eloped five years after their first meeting; she was 24, he was 23. The collection of saris and jewelry she had been accumulating for a much more public and elaborate traditional wedding were back in Canada. This wedding was a secret, attended only by Mithu's closest friends.

Back in British Columbia, she contacted the federal immigration government, and unbeknownst to her family, applied for permission to bring Mithu to Canada. Soon, it all began to unravel. Her family discovered her secret, and her uncle Sirjit Singh Badesha registered a case against Mithu with the Punjab police, alleging she'd been forced, at gunpoint, into an illegal marriage. On the strength of those allegations, the police began to hunt for Mithu; he went into hiding; his friends were arrested and beaten. In Canada, Jassi ran away from home, and, discovering her bank account frozen, borrowed money from a collection of friends in order to buy a plane ticket. She flew to India, hoping to set the record straight with the police and bring her husband back to Canada.

Two months after she arrived, early on the evening of June 8 Jassi was riding on the back of a scooter driven by Mithu, when they were attacked by men waiting in a car at the side of a deserted road. He was beaten and left for dead. She was taken to a nearby farm house, where, Punjab police allege, her killers made a fateful call to Canada. Her body was found the next morning, in an irrigation ditch, her throat slashed by a sword.

In The Murdered Bride, the fifth estate reveals new information about what happened that night, and who the Indian police believe was involved.

jeeeeeeeeeez!thatz really bad!
sunny123 said:
Let's keep the middle east talks out of this thread please, as its not related to Indian marriages..... thank you

Anyways, this is another documentary that really had an effect on me. It's called the "Murdered Bride". It's about these two young Punjabi Sikh people (Jassi and Sukhwinder), who fell in love, and secretly got married. The bride's family did not approve of the groom because he was of a lower caste, "very dark", and "unattractive" according to the bride's massi. This girl lived in Canada, with her mother and mama. She was terrified of her uncle, but yet she ran away from her home in Canada, back to India, where she could be with her husband. Once her uncle found out, he organized the kidnapping of his neice, and her mother of all people gave the order to kill her OWN DAUGHTER!!

This documentary was very sad to watch. I didn't understand why the family objected to Jassi's marrying to Sukhwinder, because he wasn't bad looking at all, and they both looked well together as a couple....

Anyways, just very surprised to see what lengths a family would take to preserve their caste.

CBC Fifth Estate: Murdered Bride

lol......sure sure .....let`s talk abt bloody indian problems .....no sarcasm .

Hornet871 said:

I would point that the Israeli behavior is not at all surprising. Jews were persecuted for 1000's of yrs, in all parts of the world. So... given that they have their own homeland, is it any surprise they would express extreme hostility to anyone who posed a threat to the existance of the Jewish state? The point here is that the victim has assumed the mentality of the old aggressor!