Rules of interacting and forming relationships with program directors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently emailed the PD of a residency i'm interested in regarding research opportunities. The PD emailed me back stating interest in meeting me in terms of giving residency advice, etc. How should I take this? Should I accept it as a genuine interest in me as an applicant or is it just courtesy? Is this the best way to get my foot in the door? If so, how should I go about in handling it so that i don't mess up my future ortho chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a med student going through this process, too, so take my advice at face value. However, I would tell you from at least my experience that I would be encouraged by this. I have attempted to make similar contacts and have gotten the entire range of responses from no reply at all to a brief e-mail acknowledgement to a printed, snail-mailed thank-you letter. This sounds like a good thing to me. Congrats. Go with it. It might mean nothing, but you should at least maintain this contact. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
It can only help you. So much of the matching process is forming good relationships with mentors. A program director is just about the best person to have as a mentor.