RT exam 2008 takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just momani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
welcome 2 all interested in this year final trials , lucky us right ?
lets comment on expersence , courses , prepartion tip , sharing all to pass all

Members don't see this ad.

I was waiting for 4 years until I got a chance to take and pass the RT exam in 2007. Good luck to all taking it in 2008.

i read your story some where on the forum , good commitment .....
but we need to hear from ur feedback ....
how much u needed to prepare to be confident in your work ??
did u take a course , what do u feel the keys to pass ? give us hints plz

Hi ..

Just because i passed the RT exam recently doesnt make me an expert but i can let you know what worked for me after a 4 year gap .. I basically left dentistry behind and came back from the dead to pass the RT .. So you can do it as well ..

These are the things that helped me a lot in no particular order except the fiirst one ..

1: Encouragement from my wife ..

2: Dr. Duggans condensed RT course (2 and half weeks) .. i needed this refresher course ..

3: Magnifying loupes 2.5 X magnification - cheapest loupes and light was as www.perioptix.com ( Rimz model )

4: Fibre optic light from Peri Optix (all of a sudden i suddenly started "seeing" the tooth properly such as the the gingival box with no shadows, the margins etc etc ..) www.perioptix.com ( Perilux model )

(imp: the light needs to be switched off when handling composite resin or a filter needs to go over the light)

5: 2 months of solid practising in the garage .. 2 -4 hours or preperation every week day after coming home form work and 6 hours on weekends .. get yourself a portable compressor and practise at home ..

6: time management in the exam .. ( I didnt really have time to give the finishing touch to my full metal crown prep.)

Im not saying you need the loupes and light to pass but the way I "see" the tooth is totally different now .. I wish we had it in dental school back home and I cant imagine not using the loupes and light in dental practice ..

Also, everyones learning curve is different and what whorks for someone might not for others so consider that in your preperation ..

Bottom line .. practice ..practice ..practice.. one you become good you will realize that you will never be satisfied with even the best of your preps .. And you will be aiming for a better prep next time ..

Finally, beleive in yourself that it can be done .. that is more important that the exam itself ..

cheers and good luck ...

Members don't see this ad :)
DEAR DR.:luck:
THank you for ur time to explain.What about skin fletcher ?
in november exam the skin make my hand really tired?
Pl. advise.:thumbup:
THX again
Just because i passed the RT exam recently doesnt make me an expert but i can let you know what worked for me after a 4 year gap .. I basically left dentistry behind and came back from the dead to pass the RT .. So you can do it as well ..

These are the things that helped me a lot in no particular order except the fiirst one ..

2: Dr. Duggans condensed RT course (2 and half weeks) .. i needed this refresher course ..

3: Magnifying loupes 2.5 X magnification - cheapest loupes and light was as www.perioptix.com ( Rimz model )

4: Fibre optic light from Peri Optix (all of a sudden i suddenly started "seeing" the tooth properly such as the the gingival box with no shadows, the margins etc etc ..) www.perioptix.com ( Perilux model )

(imp: the light needs to be switched off when handling composite resin or a filter needs to go over the light)

5: 2 months of solid practising in the garage .. 2 -4 hours or preperation every week day after coming home form work and 6 hours on weekends .. get yourself a portable compressor and practise at home ..

6: time management in the exam .. ( I didnt really have time to give the finishing touch to my full metal crown prep.)

Im not saying you need the loupes and light to pass but the way I "see" the tooth is totally different now .. I wish we had it in dental school back home and I cant imagine not using the loupes and light in dental practice ..

Also, everyones learning curve is different and what whorks for someone might not for others so consider that in your preperation ..

Bottom line .. practice ..practice ..practice.. one you become good you will realize that you will never be satisfied with even the best of your preps .. And you will be aiming for a better prep next time ..

Finally, beleive in yourself that it can be done .. that is more important that the exam itself ..

cheers and good luck ...[/quote]

I took the RT in Nov at USC and thought that the rubber cheeks were not a problem at all .. The cheeks were very thin and it was easy to retract compared to the Fletcher mask I have at home ..

you can buy the fletcher mask on the columbia dentoform website ...

Hi ..

cheers and good luck ...

thank you for your honest sharing dear ....
you gave me more confident , as i plan to practice solid 2 months also full time at home for this exam ......after taking duggans course
i still need to ask you
what handpieces you recommend ? buy used ???
do you advise also buying a manikin to practice home ???
do u have a portable compressor u'll sell ???

ALSO thank you for your insight on the loupes and light , i checked their site directly ...
i always knew we should view the tooth in better details ...........
now r u taking the clinical exam ???
best of luck 4 u

where are you 2008 RT exam takers , u must be somewhere practicing ........

rise up and share with us , your feelings , ur status , yr preps

i took the Rt exam in USC and passed it in UOP . In both schools I found that the flecher was easier to handle than the ones we used at home. They use different typodonts in these schools.
As for how long it takes untill u are confident, I think given the history u can never be confident that u will pass the exam because we were never able to trust the fairness on the rt or the graders. U just need to practice a lot , manage your time and hope for the best. i think that loupes are very important , too .however not all passing candidates had loupes, and vice versa.
i would definitely recommend that u practice on a manikin.

Good Luck!

so i heard only 35 people are taking the feb. exam ..... best of luck RT exam takers....
share your comments , lets hear from u people ...
r u preparing same last year assignments ???
r u using loupes and fifroptic light ???
how is life ???

Material for sale:

RT exam and clinical exam, all instrument and materials including compressor in very good condition, and at a discounted rate.

Please email [email protected] for details

Members don't see this ad :)
again this thread is asking people who took RT exams in the past to give us tips on passing the exam ...
1. a 2 months full time training while taking duggan's course would do it ??
2. taking mock boards ?
3. is it true the number of applicants are really below 30 for feb. exam

for the last one month , no one wrote on this thread except me , but alot is viewing it , the logical explanation 1. the # of applicants really low
2. most are repeating the exam and know exactly what to do in the upcoming exam that they don't want to share with the new comers ........ proove me wrong if you can :D
thanks all anyways

good luck to everyone who took the RT exam last weekend ... i hope everyone did well ... i have not met any RT students who took the exam so were the assignments the same ? once again good luck on the results ..

Hi. I didnt pass the bench exams given last nov2007, i only passed the class 3 prep and fill. Got depressed that i didnt apply for the february exams. Anyway, i just want to ask if they gave the same assignments for the feb exams. I will take it again this coming may. Thank you.

the assignments for feb/08 were the same as nov/07
#4 mo aml
#9 pfm
#8 d comp
#6 m comp filling
#19 FGC
GOOD LUCK

thanks taji
hope you did great yourself in the exam , i hope we all pass people
best of luck to all

would you believe it everyone , i bought a used compressor and after i turn it on a leak in the tank happens ???!!!! how can i fix it , can i weld it ?
is it worth it to do something like this to colleague ??

i found the oil filter is empty also , how do i fill it ? open the knobb from below ?
ref. oil will work right ?

so 1 month for the may exam , where are may takers .... i only know 4 who taking the exam tell now ??? any1 there

all set for the may 17th at usc , all people i know recieved their identification #s , preparing by mock boards now , hope all pass this may and we get same assignment as last exam .... congratulations 2 all i know who passed the last wreb and cal. board exam :)

at first i'd like to thank all who helped me either in advise or morally or in lending me instruments or materials for my rt exam , especially taji thank you alot we were so kind to me and hope u'll pass your upcoming cal. board exam :) also i thank everyone who posted here or in the forum to help as new comers :)
i'd like to thank dr.duggan for letting as excel our selfs in every trial and every mock board , hope everyone passes this year RT exams ....
we are waiting for the may exam results ??!! plz anyone recieving his scores lets us congratulate him all toghter god willing :)

at first i'd like to thank all who helped me either in advise or morally or in lending me instruments or materials for my rt exam , especially taji thank you alot we were so kind to me and hope u'll pass your upcoming cal. board exam :) also i thank everyone who posted here or in the forum to help as new comers :)
i'd like to thank dr.duggan for letting as excel our selfs in every trial and every mock board , hope everyone passes this year RT exams ....
we are waiting for the may exam results ??!! plz anyone recieving his scores lets us congratulate him all toghter god willing :)
Hi
It was ur self confidence and beleive in the future which make me help you.I appreciate you and hope pass the exam.
I'm not going to take california exam this september.
good luck:thumbup:

thanks again taji you are such a wonderful person thanks:):)
hope you'll take your cal. board exam soon and to pass it god willing ....

again people any news from the board for any results ???

oh congratulaion dear :)
did you recieve your results this morning ?
and did you feel your scores are really representive to your work ? r they just more ?

thanks god , i passed with
amalgam 75
composite 85
cast 80
i think i did better though in amalgam :)
thanks to:
taji
moh. anosh
txtdentist
hussein
nilebds
moh. hafez and iman
and of course dr.duggan
and thanks to everyone who helped or believed in me :)
hope every1 also passed this RT exam , pray the best for all

amalgam 75
composite 85
cast 80
thanks to:
taji
moh. anosh
txtdentist
hussein
nilebds
moh. hafez and iman
and of course dr.duggan

Congratulations,very good job.You deserve the best:)

thanks dear momani
hope your IDP program is going fine and hope all the best for you ....

now guys what do you advise wreb or cal. board ???

amalgam 75
composite 85
cast 80
thanks to:
taji
moh. anosh
txtdentist
hussein
nilebds
moh. hafez and iman
and of course dr.duggan
Hi
I really happy for you.good job.I knew it.
Again congradulation:laugh:

hello everyone .........the last exam for the bench is in dec. at usfc :)
good luck and best of luck for all ..