RSNA Grant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coarctation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here received(or know someone who has) an RSNA research grant that they would be willing to talk about their experience? I am curious as to when you applied: is it something that only 1st/2nd years should apply for?

Most of the people that do the projects seem to be at a consistent few institutions, and I know that it states that you don't have to do the project where you go to school - but is this done often? Or are the people doing the grants at medical school X also people who go to medical school X?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the one for med students. Have you posted the experience elsewhere that I just didn't catch when I did a search? If not, anything you can share would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied for and received the RSNA medical student grant. I am doing the grant at my school. It's important that you have a mentor that is going to give you a lot of financial, logistical, and educational support as well as a good project and cv to be successful. FWIW, my grant was in Radiology, not Rad Onc.

The RSNA med student grant is a great opportunity. I did the rad onc one and I applied through a school different from my med school. The important thing is to find one truly good mentor, as one poster mentioned above. It's a great resume booster and definitely something interviewers will want to talk about during interviews. They send you this bad-ass framed certificate too. I don't know if they indicate it on the website by the mugshots anymore, but a good portion of the recipients applied through a school not their own. The ratio of people who apply to number of available grants was virtually 1:1 a couple years ago, so it's definitely worth a shot!

Yeah, this year there was a lot more applications than the number of grants given out. I think it was something like 20% of grants got funded, so it's about as easy to get as a HHMI now, but it's still a great opportunity. I want my certificate! Did you get it after you finished your project?

The RSNA med student grant is a great opportunity. I did the rad onc one and I applied through a school different from my med school. The important thing is to find one truly good mentor, as one poster mentioned above. It's a great resume booster and definitely something interviewers will want to talk about during interviews. They send you this bad-ass framed certificate too. I don't know if they indicate it on the website by the mugshots anymore, but a good portion of the recipients applied through a school not their own. The ratio of people who apply to number of available grants was virtually 1:1 a couple years ago, so it's definitely worth a shot!

Yeah, this year there was a lot more applications than the number of grants given out. I think it was something like 20% of grants got funded, so it's about as easy to get as a HHMI now, but it's still a great opportunity. I want my certificate! Did you get it after you finished your project?

It must have gotten a lot more competitive then. They send you the framed certificate about 6 months after your grant proposal is approved. It sounds silly, but it's a custom frame with like sueded matte probably worth $100+ heh. I guess people still get drawn to shiny things as an incentive!

Yeah, now the challenge is to finish the project! Did you do it at another school during a year off?

No I worked on it during a research elective in my 4th year. I did a regular clinical rotation there as well so that was additional time. My hometown was not far from the institution so I had the benefit of being nearby. Logistically 4th year can be a nightmare, especially when you do 4+ away rotations like I did. But, I say do what it takes to get where you want to go, if you can!