ROWAN-SOM (DO) vs ATSU-KCOM vs KYCOM + a little extra HELP NEEDED THANKS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which do you guys think ?

• Total voters

shadicxxx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done very well this cycle and I am in the fortunate position to make a decision on a medical school I could use some help in making a final decision. Because this website has been so useful why not ask everybody here?

ROWAN-SOM (DO)
Pros
  • Location/ Urban environment
  • Pass/Fail curriculum
  • More research opportunities
  • Has its own residency programs and expanding clinic sites
Cons
  • Cost of living
  • No family close
ATSU-KCOM
Pros
  • Established school with a history ( more likely to have connections )
  • Opportunity to do 3 and 4 years in different states ( building relationships in a state you may want to match in ) Arizona, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah
  • Cost of living
  • Family 6 hours away
Cons
  • Location Kirksville Missouri
  • Very little research compared to other options
KYCOM
Pros
  • Cost of living
  • Tuition $52,000
Cons
I was also accepted at CHSU-COM and RVUCOM - Colorado

I have also been waitlisted at
  • DMU
  • ACOM
  • VCOM Lousiana
  • LECOM Elmira
Still waiting for post-interview decisions
  • NYTICOM Arkansas
  • SIU ( They do acceptances in three batches Dec, Feb, and March its my 1st choice playing the waiting game )

Members don't see this ad.

If you're from NJ and will have in-state tuition, then Rowan is the better choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then in this case, I'd pray you get into SIU, and maybe consider going to the cheapest DO school option. Rowan probably still have an advantage in terms of resources for being a state school, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost. I would also inquire about the possibility of switching to in-state tuition after being there for a year.

Rowan seems to be about 7k more in tuition per year for OOS students vs KCOM, so in the ballpark. Having family 6 hours away isn't really a pro.

Choose Rowan, but hopefully you hear good news from SIU soon.

Then in this case, I'd pray you get into SIU, and maybe consider going to the cheapest DO school option. Rowan probably still have an advantage in terms of resources for being a state school, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost. I would also inquire about the possibility of switching to in-state tuition after being there for a year.
Thanks for feedback

Rowan seems to be about 7k more in tuition per year for OOS students vs KCOM, so in the ballpark. Having family 6 hours away isn't really a pro.

Choose Rowan, but hopefully you hear good news from SIU soon.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm just really hoping for SIU to workout