routes to travel for an IMG to get in neurosurgery in US...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroness

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,
I am a last year med student in Istanbul. I need your suggestions regarding my blurred medical future. I am strictly decided to do Neurosurgery in US. I plan to take USMLE Step1 this year in April and then to go to USA after my graduation in July 2009. I looked into the statistics of 2008 US residency match results and it says less than 8% of Neurosurgery residents are IMGs, and most of the IMGs have significant research and clinical experience and there are very limited spots for IMGs. What would be the best thing to do in order to increase chance of being accepted to neurological surgery as an IMG?

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing you can do, far more important than anything else, is score 235 or above on your Step I. The Step I is truly the most important thing, and really the only way for a FMG to show himself/herself comparable to American medical school graduates.

That's about it. You can have lots of research (and you should). You should try to come to the US to do a few rotations and/or research (to get your foot in the door and get recommendations from American neurosurgeons), but if you truly kick ass on the Step 1s, then you're golden regardless.