routes to becoming an OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abina81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

To my understanding, there are two ways to become an OMS. I know you can go to Med school and then Dent school or vice versa. You have to go through each program (4 years for dent and for 4 years for med) Is this true? Are these the only two options?

just a curious and confused predent.

thanks

abina81

Members don't see this ad.

The most common route is 4 years of dental school, followed by either a 6-year residency (OMFS-MD program) or a 4-year residency (non-MD program).

The other route (not very common) is to earn an MD first through the normal four years of med school, followed by a 6-year residency during which the resident goes through the last two years of dental school and earns a DDS.

HTH.

if you have time check around for school that also offer the oms fellowship. I know in medical school in milwaukee the offer the program. It is one year follow your dental school. This is really help to prepare you to get into the
OMS --program

That is an internship and not a fellowship. Yes you are right the internship does prepare you to match for OMS in case your scores havn't been stellar and you are really fixed on OS. There are a lot of universities that offer the 1 yr internship. Also upon the completion of this intership some give you a GPR certificate