Round out the program list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

croire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question for the lot of you: if I'm a decent student with a 3.5gpa and a 241 Step 1 from a decent US med school - which other programs should I consider in my target area (NE coast, particularly new york) to round out my list? I'd like a good mixture of first tier, second tier, and more easily obtainable programs...any ideas?

Here's my list thus far (by state):
1.) Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School Program, Boston, MA
2.) Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program
3.) New England Medical Center Hospitals/Tufts University Program, Boston, MA
4.)The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
5.) Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program, Bronx, NY
6.) Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center Program, New York, NY
7.) Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, NY
8.) New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program, New York, NY
9.) New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program, New York, NY
10.) Thomas Jefferson University Program, Philadelphia, PA
11.) University of Pennsylvania Program, Philadelphia, PA

And thanks, by the way, for all the help I've found thus far on this site! This is really an amazing resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a question for the lot of you: if I'm a decent student with a 3.5gpa and a 241 Step 1 from a decent US med school - which other programs should I consider in my target area (NE coast, particularly new york) to round out my list? I'd like a good mixture of first tier, second tier, and more easily obtainable programs...any ideas?

1.) Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School Program, Boston, MA
2.) Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program
6.) Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center Program, New York, NY

And thanks, by the way, for all the help I've found thus far on this site! This is really an amazing resource!

There is such a thing as gpa in your school??

You have a good list, I wouldn't really add or change anything if you're so keen on staying in the NE. 7 of the 11 programs you list I actually applied to, but about half of which I actually went for an interview. But I think it's a decent list, you have good mix of different tiers.

Looks like you want a "big city" atmosphere, but if you want a really good neuro program in the northeast (albeit in a less exciting location), think about Univ. of Rochester. It's not "exalted status" like MGH/JHU/Columbia, but it's arguably better than most of the others on your list. Pittsburgh (if you consider that to be in the northeast) is another program worth looking at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent - thanks for your input! I actually considered URochester, as I hear its an amazing program, particularly with some of the newly acquired faculty, but I'm looking a little more for the big city environment. I'll have to take a look at Pitt though - I didn't check into too much previously. Thanks again!

Here's a new questions:

Has anyone heard anything about the New York College of Medicine, SUNY, or NYU programs? How to they measure up to other programs? Thanks!:D

Here's a new questions:

Has anyone heard anything about the New York College of Medicine, SUNY, or NYU programs? How to they measure up to other programs? Thanks!:D

I object to the concept of tiers, implying generally better or worse. I think residency is a personal fit. It's about finding the best learning environment for you in particular. It's about career goals. There are different 'types' of program suited for different career goals, but no tiers.

NYMC-St.Vincents? Small, laid-back, good fellowship placement. But no research.

NYU, on par with other NYC programs, i.e. Einstein, Columbia, Mt.Sinai, Cornell. All have great reputation. I think there are relative strengths and weaknesses in all five programs. You have to visit and talk to residents to get a feel. Maybe even do some shadowing.

Rochester is known for great teaching, because the PD is really good. BU is also a strong program. NJMS is quite underrated. Don't know about SUNY.

Places I would not consider: NYMC-WMC, AE-BI. Relatively inadequate.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any specifics on AECOM Beth Israel, its a relatively new program...

Do you have any specifics on AECOM Beth Israel, its a relatively new program...

Sorry. I don't know much about this program. But generally, I would prefer going to a more mature program, where they have worked out most of the kinks. It just makes sense.

Are these the programs you're applying for? I'm just wondering if 11-12 is enough programs to apply to?

Apply to anyplace that you would think of going. If you get too many interviews, you can always cancel. If you under-apply you may end up regretting it. That being said, a dozen programs is probably plenty for any US grad without real USMLE trouble... I was a bit compulsive and ended up applying to 18 or 19.

I questioned the number as well, as I have a feeling it's not quite enough...I'll add a few more as I continue reading on programs, but likely it won't top 15. The difference is, I have a distinct market for location that sort of narrows things down a bit more than for most people, and certainly more than it would if I were applying for something a bit more competitive. Doesn't mean I won't find 15 programs I dislike and end up stuck or find 15 programs I do like that don't reciprocate in the match, but I think odds are that even with the relatively low number I'll find something.

getting back to the Beth Israel program, I was trying to look up some info on the program, and there is absolutely nothing. i guess with the residency being new there's not much.. but atleast on the dept. Gopher Brain or anybody else do you have any ideas. I did a couple of web searches but fairly pointless.

The Beth Israel program might be a rare case where it is actually worth calling/writing for information.

Are you guys talking about BIDMC? Or another Beth Israel (I've heard there's one in NYC)?

thanks gopher brain. yes, this is the one in new york.

I haven't read too much on Thomas Jefferson...I've got their basic information, but has anyone interviewed there in recent years or go there currently that could tell me a bit more about the program?

hey croire, nice thread! i also want to stay around nyc or a close big city. i got a late start in researching programs so this thread is great. just wondering what other programs you've considered since you started this thread. thanks!

Hmm...since starting this thread? Well, I've pretty much been sold on Mt Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, and AE, I think. For prelim year, I looked into several other programs (mostly affiliate programs, but also like nymc)...but those are different. I didn't look too hard at SUNY, which is probably the only program I didn't look at in NYC - but that's primarily because it doesn't have a great rep, and the resident or two I've met from SUNY I haven't been too impressed with (although I'm sure there are some very good resies there as with any program).

Any particular program that you were looking into? I think looking at surrounding areas, you're pretty much stuck with the bigger cities if you want a decent program - philly, boston, etc.

So are you from a NY school? Any talk amongst your resies or fellow students about programs up there?