Army ROTC to Postbacc to Med School Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwpearce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a senior ROTC cadet graduating in Spring 2015. I have decided to take a gap year and apply next summer so I can bolster my application. I will be commissioning as a 2LT into the Medical Service Corps in the National Guard and was contacted by an HPSP recruiter and given some advice.

My issue and why I'm coming to you here is that I requested the earliest possible BOLC date which is July 7 - Sept 18. I was recommended by the HPSP recruiter and my academic advisers to take a postbacc or SMP program so that I can improve my GPA. However, even with this BOLC date if I go to a school that begins the postbacc in September I would miss at most 2 weeks of school. I have contacted various schools asking if they would accommodate mandatory military service but this is still a good chunk of time. My original BOLC date ended in November so the current situation is definitely an improvement.

The only alternatives I see are:

1. Requesting a BOLC date in 2016. The issue I see with this is that I would be finishing the postbacc in Spring 2016 and starting med school Fall 2016, so there might be a similar issue with med school starting during training. Thoughts?

2. Disregard a postbacc, find clinical work/research and still apply to med school with a hopefully good MCAT (taking Jan 2015) and 3.35-3.4 GPA (Probably DO)

3. Take 2 gap years; BOLC and clinical work now, Post bacc Fall 2016-Spring 2017 and med school fall 2017.

Given my circumstances what do you advise?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the postbacc. I like temple's since it comes with admission to their med school with a moderately successful year. BOLC should be the least important part of the equation. Defer it as long as possible.