Rotations for Touro students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nae614

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really curious about rotations. So you have to do 11 rotations in 2 years, but how does the scheduling work? :confused: Do you have to do 11 in a row, or can you skip a summer?? How much of a choice or a say do you have in this?

Also, during rotations, are you basically shadowing/observing or do you have exams, research, etc.....?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure about how we might mix the elective and open periods in with the mandatory rotations, but go to the pharmacy website and click on the "Student Catalog" on the left to read more about it. Page 56 has an example for P3 and P4 years and the previous pages (42-55) describe the clinical courses. I'm a P1 so I haven't gotten to that stage yet, but from talking to faculty it seems that they consider each student's situation when scheduling. Keep in mind that they are also constantly working to develop and expand the clinical rotations.

During the P3 year you have 2 or 3 6-week open periods, depending on how long you want your summer break to be. During the open periods you are basically off from school, but you do have to listen to a web-based class on Friday afternoons. During the P4 year you also have open periods (3 I think). In addition each year you have about 2 weeks for Winter Break, a Spring Break, and a break sometime in August. You get to pick when you want your open periods to be, and except for unusual circumstances the school will usually honor your request.

From what I hear (I'm a P2) rotations are very active learning experiences and don't include much shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the P3 year you have 2 or 3 6-week open periods, depending on how long you want your summer break to be. During the open periods you are basically off from school, but you do have to listen to a web-based class on Friday afternoons. During the P4 year you also have open periods (3 I think). In addition each year you have about 2 weeks for Winter Break, a Spring Break, and a break sometime in August. You get to pick when you want your open periods to be, and except for unusual circumstances the school will usually honor your request.

From what I hear (I'm a P2) rotations are very active learning experiences and don't include much shadowing.

Thanks so much for the info! :)
I'm wondering, what do you mean by "rotations are very active learning experiences and don't include much shadowing"?.....could u expand on that a bit? Are there exams or research projects to do?

Thanks.

Thanks so much for the info! :)
I'm wondering, what do you mean by "rotations are very active learning experiences and don't include much shadowing"?.....could u expand on that a bit? Are there exams or research projects to do?

Thanks.

From what I hear there are lots of projects and tasks to do on each rotation, which will vary depending on where you are. Basically, your preceptor will be teaching you how to be a pharmacist and you will be doing those tasks as part of your training. Presentations are part of most rotations, but I havne't heard of any exams. So I suppose there may be a small amount of shadowing in the beginning, but after that you will be working for the most part (without getting paid though).