Other Rotation Selection Advice..Need a quick opinion!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nic24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m currently going to my P4 year, and I need to pick 2 of these following 3 rotations. Due to scheduling constraints, I can only do 2 of them. Im posting here, b/c I really want to do a residency, but I need to have strong rotations. Since you all have been there and applying, you know what they are looking for. These are the 3:
-Cancer Center
-Veterans Hospital- Infectious Disease Unit
-Hospital- Cardiology Unit

Im actually interested in all 3, and I feel like all of them will look good on a residency application, as well as prepare me for clinical work. All my other scheduled rotations are my normal required, such as community, amb care, etc, so I have to keep those. But what do you think would be a good top 2 to do and would impress possible residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose ID and Cardio. Very hard rotations but you will learn a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I’m currently going to my P4 year, and I need to pick 2 of these following 3 rotations. Due to scheduling constraints, I can only do 2 of them. Im posting here, b/c I really want to do a residency, but I need to have strong rotations. Since you all have been there and applying, you know what they are looking for. These are the 3:
-Cancer Center

Im actually interested in all 3, and I feel like all of them will look good on a residency application, as well as prepare me for clinical work. All my other scheduled rotations are my normal required, such as community, amb care, etc, so I have to keep those. But what do you think would be a good top 2 to do and would impress possible residency programs?
I have done all 3 as a student, would recommend cardio Unit and VA -ID. Cancer center was interesting an all, but not as useful to be honest. Hopefully if you match for residency, will be able to do oncology rotation then.

ID and Cardio rotation were very useful for me to has a good foundation for residency rotations - much more applicable.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a strong interest in oncology, I would go ID and Cards like everyone suggested

all depends on what you want to do with your life (obviously that will change 10 times before you retire) - what area interests you? Which locations are known as good rotation sites?

all depends on what you want to do with your life (obviously that will change 10 times before you retire) - what area interests you? Which locations are known as good rotation sites?

All 3 have a good reputation!
I actually have more of an interest in Oncology, and would possibly like to specialize in it(for PGY-2), which is why Im considering it. However, Im not sure if having experience in it would impress a PGY-1 director. Not so much impress them, but think I would be ready to handle patient-related “everyday” situations that come up, if that makes sense? I kind of think that Cardiology and ID are the 2 biggest healthcare problems which puts people in the hospital everyday. Staff and clinical pharmacists see a lot of BP and heart disease issues, and of course the ER will be your most likely first line diagnosis of infectious diseases. With Oncology, it’s more of a specialty, usually with a separate office/center outside of the hospital. I feel like they would think...”wow, cancer rotation, that’s good, but..what about handling everyday patient problems that you would encouter?”.....I don’t know, is that right to think of it that way?

All 3 have a good reputation!
I actually have more of an interest in Oncology, and would possibly like to specialize in it(for PGY-2), which is why Im considering it. However, Im not sure if having experience in it would impress a PGY-1 director. Not so much impress them, but think I would be ready to handle patient-related “everyday” situations that come up, if that makes sense? I kind of think that Cardiology and ID are the 2 biggest healthcare problems which puts people in the hospital everyday. Staff and clinical pharmacists see a lot of BP and heart disease issues, and of course the ER will be your most likely first line diagnosis of infectious diseases. With Oncology, it’s more of a specialty, usually with a separate office/center outside of the hospital. I feel like they would think...”wow, cancer rotation, that’s good, but..what about handling everyday patient problems that you would encouter?”.....I don’t know, is that right to think of it that way?

Actually almost all of my programs that I interviewed with were very impressed I had choosen to do a oncology rotation - mine was pediatric oncology. It made for a lot of good conversation where I talked about my experience, especially dealing with the palliative care side. I think it makes you stand out, because not very many students choose to do oncology as it’s one of the harder topics in school. It also solidified why I choose oncology as one of my interest areas for specialty (when they asked). Either way, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the three you have listed.

Edit: Oncology also touches on several “everyday” topics such as ID, nutrition/TPN, pain management, transplant (if there’s any BMT), and investigational drugs.

Last edited:
You are drastically overthinking it. 95% of the time I don’t care what rotarions are, as long as their are mostly related to hospital care (not a bunch of board or association sites or predominately amcare)

Initially I was in the boat of Cardio + ID, however when I thought about it some more and read through your posts I changed my mind. If you have an interest in Oncology and might want to pursue PGY1 +/- PGY2 then you should do a rotation in Oncology. Having that rotation as a student would be more beneficial for you whether you ultimately end up going into some sort of oncology field later on. In your other required rotations you should at least briefly cover core concepts of Cardio & ID in some way, you probably won't even scratch the surface of Onc.

My 2 cents though. Best of luck!

ID you will use everywhere you go, and Oncology if that is an interest.

How many drugs these days are approved for an oncologic indication vs. a cardiovascular one? There's your job security...

Actually almost all of my programs that I interviewed with were very impressed I had choosen to do a oncology rotation - mine was pediatric oncology. It made for a lot of good conversation where I talked about my experience, especially dealing with the palliative care side. I think it makes you stand out, because not very many students choose to do oncology as it’s one of the harder topics in school. It also solidified why I choose oncology as one of my interest areas for specialty (when they asked). Either way, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the three you have listed.

Edit: Oncology also touches on several “everyday” topics such as ID, nutrition/TPN, pain management, transplant (if there’s any BMT), and investigational drugs.

Thanks! I never thought about that..it being a topic that sets me apart from others. And it does cover all thsose areas, thank you!

Easily your best options...unless you have an interest in doing a PGY2 in oncology then I would add that and take away the cardiac ICU. Assuming you have another ICU rotation.

Easily your best options...unless you have an interest in doing a PGY2 in oncology then I would add that and take away the cardiac ICU. Assuming you have another ICU rotation.

Thank you, I actually chose those two =)