Rotating Internship Question... Starting Late???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbod34

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I had to retake Step I, (took two months off), Had a baby,(took 1 month off), and am now taking Step 2 AGAIN!! (two more months off). All boils down to me finishing med school in Late Sept. How does this effect me in terms of internship? Do programs accept people late? I know I probably sound like the stupidest person but I truely have text taking issues as is evident in my good rotation grades and excellent LORs. When should I discuss this with programs. I have had a lot of interviews already but haven't brought it up yet. Thanks guys!:)

Members don't see this ad.

So here's the deal, I had to retake Step I, (took two months off), Had a baby,(took 1 month off), and am now taking Step 2 AGAIN!! (two more months off). All boils down to me finishing med school in Late Sept. How does this effect me in terms of internship? Do programs accept people late? I know I probably sound like the stupidest person but I truely have text taking issues as is evident in my good rotation grades and excellent LORs. When should I discuss this with programs. I have had a lot of interviews already but haven't brought it up yet. Thanks guys!:)

Some programs do and some don't.

I think you need to be upfront about it when you interview, or even before. After all, its not fair to a program or your fellow interns, that expect you to start on July 1.

If a program is willing to work with you, allowing you to start late, great...but many will not and IMHO, its unfair to interview and go through the match process only to spring it on them later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by your question. This upcoming match is for positions to start July 2007. It's unclear by your description if you are finishing med school in September 2006 or September 2007 (although by your wording I expect it's the latter)

#1 -- If you plan on graduating in September 2007:

If you were a student in an allopathic program, you would not be able to participate in the match at all. The relevant section from the User Guide from the NRMP website is as follows:

For a senior in a U.S. allopathic medical school to participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) as a U.S. senior, the following requirements must be met:
• the applicant has attended a U.S. medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
• the applicant has been determined to be on schedule for graduation in the year of the Match and to be eligible to enter graduate medical education by July 1st by the school’s dean of student affairs. (Page 5 of the PDF, page is numbered #3 at the bottom)

Because you are a DO applicant, the NRMP considers you an independent applicant and hence you are not held to the above rules. However, you are held to the match participation agreement. If your matched program requires that you start on July 1st (which all will), then I am pretty sure that if you can't be there on July 1st, you could be considered a match violator. The same situation develops for IMG's who run into visa problems -- if you can't start on July 1st (even if it isn't your "fault"), the program could petition the NRMP for a waiver of the match commitment, theoretically give your spot to someone else, and could consider registering you as a match violator.

Hopefully, any PD who is paying attention will notice your graduation date after July 1st 2007 and will realize there is a problem, but I think you need to be 100% up front about this, as you could end up in big trouble.

#2 - You graduate in September 2006

If you are off cycle and are graduating in Sept 2006, then all of the above is moot. Instead, you can now apply through the match, but could also accept a position outside the match instead. Programs could start you off cycle -- i.e. you could actually start training in January 2007 if they have a spot open. If you do accept a spot outside the match, you must withdraw from the match.

Since the topic of your thread is "rotating internship", I will go there with my response. In our program we had a guy who started his internship in the middle of the year.

I'm guessing that you are "Class of 2007" and that based on your boards ordeal you are finishing in Sept 2007. I say go ahead and apply for a July 1 2007 spot. Be clear about your actual graduation date. You may be able to secure a spot in the match and join up in September. I know someone who did this.

If you don't secure a spot through the match, you can scramble for a spot with the same stipulations; you will be joining the intern class of 2007 but later, in Sept.

Securing a spot after the DO and MD matches is alot like going to Express when they're having a sale; you have to take the initiative to go there and root through all of those boxes and maybe find what you want. You have to go to the programs with open spots (MD and DO) and talk to them, interview there, travel there, etc. You may find a hidden gem of a program for TRI (DO) or transitional year (MD).

Primary care spots (especially here in Ohio) are starving for people. They are offering 10K signon bonuses for those that sign up for a FP or IM spot. I'm sure you'll find something. I hope your family is conducive to moving.

:luck:

Thanks for all the info. Yes I am graduating in Sept 2007 and yes I am taking two months off to study for the boards. Not my choice my school requires it. I am looking at a DO rotating internship and then Emergency Medicine. I can't believe that I will be the first person to have to deal with this b/c life happens to everyone. I appreciate all your help! Thanks guys,
Jen