Rotating at MAMC 3/31/08-5/2/08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biodork111

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I have scheduled my Peds rotation at MAMC this spring and was wondering if anyone who has rotated there previously could answer some of my questions...

1. How unlikely is it that I will be able to obtain on post housing?
2. What is the distance from the housing to the hospital?

Is anyone else on here rotating there during that time period? Strength in numbers always seems good...maybe we should chat a little before heading there?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It is entirely possible that you will not obtain on-post housing. If you cannot be lodged at the fort, you receive a stamp on your orders to be reimbursed for off post housing up to a certain amount per night. I stayed approximately 8 miles north of Fort Lewis at an extended stay hotel near the Tacoma mall (which i thought was better than the BOQ cause I was off-post, had a full kitchen, and was closer to Seattle/Tacoma for weekends, time off). I knew that there was a significant possibility that I would be bumped off post so I drove to Fort Lewis. If you do not drive and they bump you off post they will reimburse you for a rental car.

Yeah, that is kind of the drift I got from them...

The handbook says I can call for housing 45 days from my start date...I have that circled in multiple colored pens on my calendar. I contemplating actually driving from NY...crazy, but do-able. I'm curious if you are pushed off-post for housing and get a rental car, can you get it for yourself or do you have to share it 3 ways...it says something vague about sharing rental cars in the handbook, but I'm not sure if that only means people who are actually on-post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed my peds residency at MAMC in June. During my tenure there, the med studs stayed at the dorms at the old hospital. This is about a 10 minute walk from the hospital. My understanding was that they were going to phase this housing out. The main on-post lodging is about 3 miles away. If you are authorized a rental car, they will force you to share it with others. When I did my rotation I drove out there and it was great having a car.

In any event, if you E-mail Dr. Braun (the med stud coordinator) she should be able to help you with that question.

Enjoy Madigan, it's the best peds program in the military.

Ed

For what reason are you DRIVING from NY to Madigan???!!! The trick is to call 2 days before your ADT start date and tell them you're coming. Odds are the on-post housing will be filled. Then you get a statement of nonavailability whihc allows you to get reimbursed up to $93 a night (I think). Then once you have your orientation, you tell them how far away you live and that your daily schedule on Peds will not allow you to share a rental car with anyone else. Voila - there is your personal rental car...

ALSO, if you play your cards right, you can get a decent deal on a rental car. I call Enterprise and told them that I was going to be in Tacoma for a month on active duty with the army. They agreed to give me their corporate rate. I rocked a Dodge Charger the entire month. I was allowed $45 a day for a rental car and the Charger worked out to be about $29 a day. I should have gotten the Chrysler 300!! Oh well...

I would contemplate driving because I have an entire week between the end of my current rotation and the beginning of peds at MAMC. It was just a thought. I will contemplate your idea though...

I really don't care if its just 2-3 miles...I would walk that. Anymore than that though and we'd be seriously cutting into my sleepy time...and that's just no good! :p