Ross University vs US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbk08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for posting the the current DVM student and graduate form, however, I was hoping to get some advice from those of you who are already in vet school or who have graduated.

I am currently finishing up my pre-reqs for vet school. In my 2nd semester of Orgo, and need to take my GRE and a semester of Biochem. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...

My undergrad grades are ok and my pre-reqs are ok too. My feeling is that I will not get in the first few time(s) to a US school and will need to continue taking more upper level science classes. This is not all that appealing to me because I have been working full time and taking my pre-reqs the last 5 years and have had about enough of doing both. Also, I am 33 years old and want to move forward with this whole process.

This has turned me to look further in a different direction to Ross University. I will probably be accepted on my first try and can finish my pre-clinical work more quickly because they have classes year round. Bonus because I am not getting any younger and would like to have a family some day.

Are there any vets out there now that went to Ross and can give me some insight to their time there? Do you wish you had waited and held out for a US school. It's a lot to move to a different country, be so far away from family and friends. I've heard that it is not 100% safe in addition to students needing to purchase a car to get to and from campus.

Thanks so much in advance for your feed back:)

Members don't see this ad.

howdy from St. Kitts!
Almost there...congrats on getting through your course load! I remember thinking it would never end.
Ross, or one of the other Caribbean schools, is a good option if you are 100% sure that you are ready now- otherwise I would go through a couple of cycles first.
Honestly, if you want to be a vet more than anything on the planet and you are willing to work harder than you can imagine to make your dream come true....and you are willing to take some risk, then Ross will give you the opportunity to become a vet.
Here's why I say wait:
1) It's a financial risk. Smart people fail out of here every semester. Ross has a strict policy about passing classes. I know, I never would have thought I would be nervous about passing classes either- 'till I got here. It's difficult. Tens of thousands of dollars are lost if you fail a class. All your tuition is lost if you fail 2.
2) It's not the safest place on the planet; Very much not the safest place.
3) It's not accredited... but they are really trying.
Having said that, there are good things about Ross. The students are amazing, the island is beautiful and most importantly, it is where you can realize your dream.
Good luck

Thanks for your reply Jeterfan1!!

What semester are you in at Ross? Yes, I have heard that you have to repeat the entire semester if you fail a class. Pretty scary concept. What would you say the rate is of people failing out?

The saftey issue is scary. In what way is it unsafe? I understand you have to live off campus - how safe are the living conditions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at a US school, and don't know about Ross in particular, but I worked with 2 vets for a while that both went there- one was **fabulous** and the other was... not so much. I think with any school, you get what you put into it.

Also, we have people in our class that failed a class the year before and are having to start all over. All vet schools are really tough, and I don't really think any of them are that tolerant of not passing a class- so I wouldn't really factor that into your decision. (Check out the recent forum on here about how many people have been lost at diff US schools...)

If it were me, I would go ahead and apply to whatever US schools you're interested in. If you don't get in the first time, apply again the next year but also apply to Ross. Most schools take into consideration that you are applying for a second time, b/c it shows that you're dedicated. I would say at least half of my class didn't get in their first (or more) time. If you don't get in the first time, you could try to find some sort of job to increase your range of experience instead of focusing on taking more courses. For example, if you only have SA experience, try finding a LA, exotics, etc job (or volunteer somewhere- I know the job market is crap right now). Most schools are really looking for people with a wide range of experience. This is what I did, and I think the year off was really helpful to my mental well-being :)

Hope that helps, sorry this post is so long :/

you might consider the accredited foreign schools too

All vet schools are really tough, and I don't really think any of them are that tolerant of not passing a class- so I wouldn't really factor that into your decision.

While that is certainly true, there have been some allegations (some by students I know @ Ross), that they (Ross) take on far too many students then they can accommodate during the clinical years, and they basically try to fail you out before they have to deal with the shortage of spots.

While that is circumstantial, considering the recent developments with their med school (not sure how 'attached' they are) as well as personal correspondence with past and current students, that certainly seems to be the case. And while I cannot speak for other US schools, I know MSU certainly doesn't want any of their students to fail (but it happens), and tries very hard to get everyone out.

While that is certainly true, there have been some allegations (some by students I know @ Ross), that they (Ross) take on far too many students then they can accommodate during the clinical years, and they basically try to fail you out before they have to deal with the shortage of spots.

While that is circumstantial, considering the recent developments with their med school (not sure how 'attached' they are) as well as personal correspondence with past and current students, that certainly seems to be the case. And while I cannot speak for other US schools, I know MSU certainly doesn't want any of their students to fail (but it happens), and tries very hard to get everyone out.
Yep, I guess that was the point I was trying to make - Of course vet school is hard everywhere but the difference seems to be support from the school/professors. I don't necessarily subscribe to the talk around here that they are intentionally looking weed out half the students, but it is a fact that attrition rates are WAY, WAY higher at Ross than state side. Many people leave here w/ broken hearts and huge debt. I don't know exactly what the numbers are. U.S. schools, in general, seem to want to keep their students - not so much the case here. So, you can get through but sometimes it feels like it's a fight; like you did it in spite of them. I am half way through and if I stumble I will be looking at $100,000+ lost w/ nothing to show for it and no guidance from the school as to what to do....just a "pack your stuff and leave the Island" speech. Having said that, it is also true that students graduate every semester and go on to have great careers.
I wouldn't make too much of the article about the med school. Ross vet has never failed to place a student in clinics- no matter what semester you enter.
As for the crime - it's a 3rd world country. I remember going to one of the info seminars and hearing that it's like living in a big city as far as crime goes. Total crap. The majority of students will fall victim to some sort of crime....mostly petty theft...some stolen cars, home invasion and rarely, but it does happen, a student will get hurt.
Living off campus is great, just choose your location wisely and be prepared to spend some extra dollars for a better neighborhood. And yeah, you need a car.
As a student here, I wish I could say that it's where you want to be. I want to have great pride for my school. I will look back some day and be thankful that I met the most incredible students ever, but I won't be nostalgic for Ross . Like I said, Ross will give you the opportunity but don't expect a mentoring environment or "postcard" like tropical island experience.
That was my best attempt at being honest and objective; kinda showing you both sides to making the choice to/not to attend Ross. How'd I do?? Others that have graduated here, or are students here, might have different views.

Like I said, Ross will give you the opportunity but don't expect a mentoring environment or "postcard" like tropical island experience.

That has always been my impression from folks who went there: if you believe you can hack vet school and vet med is your calling, this is the place that will give you the opportunity to prove it, but you will be the one bringing the proof to the table. And if you can't, there isn't a lot of sympathy. However, having not attended all the vet schools at the same time, I have not had the oppurtunity to really compare; for all I know it isn't too far different than state-side schools other than they are willing to let more people take the risk of failing out (by admitting them.) I like my instructors, I believe they care, but there isn't much hand holding, at least not in my experience (though I am a non-trad and not the kind to ask for hand holding.) I just can't distinguish if the broad student base lends to greater drop out rates (greater risk) or if it is a lot of difference in support.

Jeterfan - thanks for you input! You did a great job:) I am going to a Ross info session on Saturday but it good to hear feedback from someone who is currently there and dosn't just give the 'good' responses - ie tells it like it is.

Jeterfan - thanks for you input! You did a great job:) I am going to a Ross info session on Saturday but it good to hear feedback from someone who is currently there and dosn't just give the 'good' responses - ie tells it like it is.

One more question Jeterfan - what about tutors? Does the school have help such as that or are you on your own?

One more question Jeterfan - what about tutors? Does the school have help such as that or are you on your own?

YES, Yes, yes! Tons of TA's and tutors....and the professors are helpful if you approach them. Some of them are totally inspiring and amazing with students - others, not so much.
Awesome, let me know what you thought of the seminar after.

YES, Yes, yes! Tons of TA's and tutors....and the professors are helpful if you approach them. Some of them are totally inspiring and amazing with students - others, not so much.
Awesome, let me know what you thought of the seminar after.

Good to hear!! haha - yes, I think that at every school there are amazing professors and some not so good!

I will let you know how the seminar goes and thanks again for your input - I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's financial suicide to go 250K in debt for an average salary of only around 60Kish when you're out. No thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
It's financial suicide to go 250K in debt for an average salary of only around 60Kish when you're out. No thanks.

Same as out of state students at most--if not all--vet schools...

although the loan situation for Ross/other Caribbean schools is quite a bit more complicated nowadays from what I understand.

Same as out of state students at most--if not all--vet schools...

although the loan situation for Ross/other Caribbean schools is quite a bit more complicated nowadays from what I understand.

The biggest difference is that in the US we can at least get federal loans that give us some flexible repayment options. Income Based Repayment will hopefully be a great option for those interested in working for a non-profit.

you might consider the accredited foreign schools too

The foreign accredited schools are not any easier to get accepted to than US schools. Sorry, but I hate when people lump the accredited schools together with the Carib schools like that. They are not the same, at all. (you may or may not have been thinking that or meaning that I realize, just putting this out there).

The foreign accredited schools are not any easier to get accepted to than US schools. Sorry, but I hate when people lump the accredited schools together with the Carib schools like that. They are not the same, at all. (you may or may not have been thinking that or meaning that I realize, just putting this out there).

Ummm..OP said his pre-reqs are ok. depending on where OP is, overseas may be more likely than US due to lack of IS vet school or specific ways that school evaluates applications. Suggesting accredited schools over seas was b/c the applicant is evaluated as foreign against, in many cases, other foreign students, rather than IS/OOS/contract/familial residency/etc. :(

Sorry, but I really hate when people are hyper sensitive and assume all advice to another poster’s question has anything to do with how good the schools they are interested in or attend are. :rolleyes:

If I thought they were the same, I wouldn’t have suggested it. I suggested it b/c personally, I think they are a better option, if only because of financing and accreditation, and depending on the OP’s status in the states, s/he may or may not have more or less factors working for/against him/her in pursuing education here or in accredited schools overseas. ;)

Ummm..OP said his pre-reqs are ok. depending on where OP is, overseas may be more likely than US due to lack of IS vet school or specific ways that school evaluates applications. Suggesting accredited schools over seas was b/c the applicant is evaluated as foreign against, in many cases, other foreign students, rather than IS/OOS/contract/familial residency/etc. :(

Sorry, but I really hate when people are hyper sensitive and assume all advice to another poster’s question has anything to do with how good the schools they are interested in or attend are. :rolleyes:

If I thought they were the same, I wouldn’t have suggested it. I suggested it b/c personally, I think they are a better option, if only because of financing and accreditation, and depending on the OP’s status in the states, s/he may or may not have more or less factors working for/against him/her in pursuing education here or in accredited schools overseas. ;)

Fair enough. I didn't assume anything, which is why I added the little disclaimer. Wasn't trying to single you out or something..sorry if you got offended. Didn't think I was being hyper sensitive, but ok!

Of course it would be wonderful to attend a US school, sometimes it isn't an option.

The biggest difference is that in the US we can at least get federal loans that give us some flexible repayment options. Income Based Repayment will hopefully be a great option for those interested in working for a non-profit.

You can also get federal loans for Ross; just so you know.

I also think you should consider foreign accredited schools. They can be hard to get into, too, but you are "unique" to them and you may have something that the locals don't. They like diversity, too, and you being American gives them diversity. I go to a U.K. and there are loads of Americas and Canadians here. But there are also schools in Australia, one in New Zealand, and 1 in Ireland. But be prepared that the British kids start vet school at 18. Edinburgh has a 4 year program though for people who have already done a degree and they are mostly 24 or so and up.

Can I revive this forum!? lol

Does anyone have any new opinions on Ross vs. US Schools? Just wanna hear from both sides.

Thanks!!!

If you go use the search function in the pre-vet forum, I bet you'll get lots of good information. This comes up around here pretty regularly. Long story short, you'll get a good education in both the U.S. or at Ross as long as the school is accredited, but you need to consider how living in a foreign country without some conveniences you may be used to having and without usual support network will affect you.

@JaynaAli I did look up the forums, but they are all super old, before Ross was accredited, that's why I wanted new opinions.

@JaynaAli I did look up the forums, but they are all super old, before Ross was accredited, that's why I wanted new opinions.

I'd keep trying different search terms. Carribean, Ross, SGU, International, etc. I found these within just a few minutes and I think they are just a year or two old, I believe. See if these help you out any. Also check the "Ross Applicants" threads, becuase lots of times people ask questions along the way when applications are going out and while it may take time reading through posts that aren't applicable, there may be good information hidden in there.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/island-schools.1054013/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/carribean-reputation.998310/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/should-i-go-to-this-interview.1113479/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/could-any-ross-university-students-help-me-out.1078408/

EDIT: At any rate, the pre-vet forum gets a lot more traffic from both vet students and pre-vetties, so maybe bump one of those threads and ask your questions there too if you don't find what you're looking for. You'll likely get more answers there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
TBH, I think the general consensus is that if you get into a US school, it may be a better option. That being said, Ross is a great school and turns out great vets so there's no reason not to go there if that's your only choice for vet school.