Rosalind vs WVU vs EVMS vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for opening my thread! I am currently accepted to Rosalind and waitlisted at the rest of the schools listed. I am also waitlisted at Albany and FAU but I think they rank the lowest on my list so for simplicity I'm not including them. I am very lost as to what I would pick between these schools!

Rosalind
Pros
  • Accepted me outright so I've already found an apartment I'm happy with that works well with my dog
  • Rotations in Chicago hospitals should give good clinical exposure
  • Cheaper COA than all but Stony Brook (~70k-75k first year.)

Cons
  • Considered bottom tier for US MD
  • Some apparent controversy with accreditation issues/ other administration isues
  • Low Step 1 average, very low class GPA/ MCAT averages

WVU
Pros
  • I personally love college towns (my undergrad was in a college town and I enjoyed it)
  • More prestigious/ better placements/ scores than Rosalind (?)
  • Like the outdoorsy, relaxed vibe/ area

Cons
  • Expensive OOS tuition (~80k COA first year)
  • Not sure I will want to practice rural medicine (although I also don't want to ultimately live right in a big city)
  • Considered low tier(?)

EVMS
Pros
  • Area seems like a cool mix of east coast with some southern friendliness
  • Apparently great Step 1 scores, incoming class profile has higher MCATs
  • Better placement compared to Rosalind (?)
  • I really felt like I vibed well with my interviewers

Cons
  • Expensive (~81k first year, which hasn't been updated yet for 2017-2018)
  • City it's in has some dangerous areas
Stony Brook
Pros
  • Cheap in-state tuition (<70k COA first year)
  • Probably the most "prestigious" out of my options (?)
  • I get to live in Long Island (it's where I'm from, current recent girlfriend lives here)
  • Rotations in the city should be solid, and apparently good research opportunities

Cons
  • The people I met there who I interviewed with mostly seemed pretentious and snobby (although the student's that showed us around were mostly chill, but also girlfriend has met med students there that apparently acted like spoiled brats)
  • Not sure how easy it would be in May/June to find a fellow M1 roommate at a desirable location that also allows my dog

Since I don't know what my ultimate choices will be between, a ranking of my school list would be the most helpful! (as in, #1 through #4 in priority, in your opinion.) Any advice/ insight is appreciated! I am very uncertain about all of this.
EDIT: I'm mainly leaning towards stony if I get in, so the biggest decision is between the rest of the schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I've always been leaning towards! But since their WL movement isn't good, which do you think I should pick if I don't get into SB?
I mean, You may not get off of any waitlists so its kinda a moot point. All the schools are pretty similar in terms of ranking, are there specific specialties you are interested in ? look to see if those schools have home programs in those specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, You may not get off of any waitlists so its kinda a moot point. All the schools are pretty similar in terms of ranking, are there specific specialties you are interested in ? look to see if those schools have home programs in those specialties.
Well I between WVU and EVMS statistically I'll likely get into at least one of them (WVU has a lot of movement, and I'm at the top tier of the EVMS WL which means my chances are high) so although it's no guarantee, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a moot point. I'm currently most interested in EM, Neurology and Diagnostic Radiology, so I don't really have any clue what specialty I'll end up wanting to go into after rotations. I just know I will likely want to specialize, and don't think I'm cut out for surgery.

All I know is Stony Brook was really depressing to me. I'd rather live in either a city or a true rural area. My limited experiences with Long Island/Long Islanders has been overwhelmingly negative.

With that said, you're in-state for NY, so if I were you I'd still probably choose Stony Brook if I got in just cause of the cheaper tuition.

All I know is Stony Brook was really depressing to me. I'd rather live in either a city or a true rural area. My limited experiences with Long Island/Long Islanders has been overwhelmingly negative.

With that said, you're in-state for NY, so if I were you I'd still probably choose Stony Brook if I got in just cause of the cheaper tuition.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I'm currently thinking as well. Do you have any opinion regarding the other three options if I don't get into stony? Chances are that I will have to pick between Rosalind and EVMS or Rosalind and WVU since stony doesn't have a lot of movement.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I'm currently thinking as well. Do you have any opinion regarding the other three options if I don't get into stony? Chances are that I will have to pick between Rosalind and EVMS or Rosalind and WVU since stony doesn't have a lot of movement.
IDK. Even if you don't get into any of the other med schools, I feel like RFU is pretty legit. Sounds like you'd enjoy WVU the most.

I don't know much about the other 3 schools, but I really enjoyed WVU on my interview day. Solid school that has a good track record of matching students into specialties across the board. They also have a lot of home departments and seemed to match a decent amount into their system which is always a good sign.

Stony Brook (if accepted)
RFU
EVMS
WVU

I interviewed at Stony Brook and EVMS and really enjoyed both school. People were friendly and I felt at home at both places. That being said, I place RFU above EVMS because it is a confirmed acceptance and due to EVMS's high COA (unlike SUNY they don't give OOS students IS tuition after the first year). I am also WL'd at Stony Brook and EVMS, but I withdrew my EVMS app. Hopefully we get off the WL and be future classmates!

Thanks for your list!
You're the first person saying RFU over Stony Brook, I'm curious what your reasoning is?
I am sorry I listed RFU first since you are already accepted there My order was mainly for the waitlists like,
STONY BROOK
EVMS
WVU

I were to factor RFU into the list it would be
STONY BROOK
EVMS
RFU
WVU