Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent my application for this program a few days ago. About a month ago I emailed the office and the program director with some important sincere and succinct questions. All I recevied in return were "templated" messages with admission statistics.Not very imformative.

My stats are mentioned in my previous post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681885
I'm a third and final year undergraduate.

I like how the program has certificate track options that perhaps make it more practical than a M.S. in "I want to go to medical school." The clinical bioanalysis track interests me the most because of the lab skills.

However, I wish the program had more medical school credits. There are only four M.D. courses. In the Georgetown SMP,grades for all six medical school courses are available by March, which is a big plus if you are applying that year. According to the RFUMS BMS schedule, grades for only two courses are available by
Feb:
http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/chi...calCurriculum/Schedule/tabid/882/Default.aspx

Also, unlike Gtown SMP and BU MAMS, there is no+/- grading.
The program is very expensive. Drexel IMS contains six medical school courses, and tuition is less expensive (22K?).
Personally, I'm leaning towards Drexel (family in Philly/PA, I can stay with them) and GTown for BU.

If accepted to this and others, I will immediately vacate a RFUMS BMS spot.Good luck!

PS
If anyone is interested in a more affordable option, check this out. Looks interesting, plus you get a M.S. in the second year.
There is some information on this forum too.
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys

I was wondering if any current BMSers can give their 2 cents on the program?

Very much appreciated!!

Hey Guys

Very much appreciated!!

Yeah, how difficult is it so far, do you feel like they set you up for failure or success.

I studied for Orgo the most I've every studied for a class and I was only able to get a B+. The system set me up to fail as the curve was ridiculous. Will I be in the same situation at RFU?

Also, are applications for fall 2010 available yet? Can I apply if I don't have my MCAT and Letters of Rec in order?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, how difficult is it so far, do you feel like they set you up for failure or success.

I studied for Orgo the most I've every studied for a class and I was only able to get a B+. The system set me up to fail as the curve was ridiculous. Will I be in the same situation at RFU?

Also, are applications for fall 2010 available yet? Can I apply if I don't have my MCAT and Letters of Rec in order?

Just very briefly, this program will NOT set you up to fail. It is very doable, and very possible to get straight A's. However, it will not come easily. You will NEED to study everyday for at least 5+ hours if you want to get A's. Getting B's is a bit easier, but will not give you a good chance at getting into CMS.

There is a reason why you are pursuing a special master's program. (1) you did not study very well in undergrad and ended up with a mediocre GPA, (2) you are from California and cannot get into medical school despite having good grades and MCAT score (Cali schools are extremely difficult to get in). For any other reasons (ie. low MCAT, needing science courses, etc.), this is NOT the program for you.

If you are student #2 above, you will most like do well in this program given you have stellar study habits. If you are student #1 above, you will struggle a lot. Either you will change your past mistakes, adjust, and learn discipline very fast and become successful or you will drown extremely quickly if you fail to correct old habits.

This program is fair and doable, but it is definitely NOT a walk in the park, I promise you. On top of the studying, you will be under so much stress to make the grades so you can get into medical school that describing the BMS year as hell on steroids is an understatement.

Good luck and keep pursuing your dreams.

Hey Guys

I was wondering if any current BMSers can give their 2 cents on the certificate programs? Which one should you avoid? ,etc.

Thanks!

Any numbers as to how many students have dropped out or will not go on to next semester? Any estimate of number or percentage of how many get "C" grades?

I am considering this program however I got a C- in Physics 102 (second semester) and Organic II. Therefore I am re-taking the class in the spring, will that hurt my chances of applying? Or do you think I'll be waitlisted until they get my grades in the spring? Thanks and happy holidays!

I'm considering applying to this program for Fall 2010 admissions; however, I was wondering what sort of credientials the adcom is looking at. I'm pursuing dual degrees in health promotion at NAU (3.93 major GPA and 3.95 overall) and microbiology at ASU (3.04 major and 3.08 overall); I also have a 35 MCAT. I've been fortunate enough to participate in four summer research internships (1,920 clock hours) and recently held a two year lab tech position at my university (1,420 clock hours). I also have a great deal of direct patient care experience (military and civilian) and recently completed a 547 clock hour volunteer opportunity in a hospice facility. What might my chances be for admissions to this program?

I'm considering applying to this program for Fall 2010 admissions; however, I was wondering what sort of credientials the adcom is looking at. I'm pursuing dual degrees in health promotion at NAU (3.93 major GPA and 3.95 overall) and microbiology at ASU (3.04 major and 3.08 overall); I also have a 35 MCAT. I've been fortunate enough to participate in four summer research internships (1,920 clock hours) and recently held a two year lab tech position at my university (1,420 clock hours). I also have a great deal of direct patient care experience (military and civilian) and recently completed a 547 clock hour volunteer opportunity in a hospice facility. What might my chances be for admissions to this program?

you got no shot
:rolleyes:

Hey Guys...this forum is not very inactive.

Anyways i recently submitted my application for the BMS program. Hopefully I'll have somewhere to go next year.

Did anyone submit and get any news of acceptance, etc. ?

My stats were 3.94, MCAT 21L

Hey Guys...this forum is not very inactive.

Anyways i recently submitted my application for the BMS program. Hopefully I'll have somewhere to go next year.

Did anyone submit and get any news of acceptance, etc. ?

My stats were 3.94, MCAT 21L

Why don't you use the year off to study and re-take the MCAT since that is obviously your problem instead of wasting all that money

Why don't you use the year off to study and re-take the MCAT since that is obviously your problem instead of wasting all that money

I am re-writing my MCATs in July/August before the BMS program.

I would rather do this program than just take a year off to re-write my MCATs.

Current BMSers or BMS alumni..

Very much appreciated!!

This thread is not very active..:confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Current BMSers or BMS alumni..

Very much appreciated!!

This thread is not very active..:confused::confused:

bump...yeah come on guys, I know that you guys have been on break so don't act like u don't have the time to update us on how the programs going...lol

Anyone familiar w/ the GPA/MCAT stats of RFU admits?

Thanks

Hi

I recently sent in my application.

I am doing a double major in Biology and Medical Science

My current GPA is 3.94 but I have a horrific MCAT score (21L)

Because I really have no chance this application year, I will be rewriting my MCATs before this program starts in August.

Good luck all those applying

BMSers/ alumni please give us your 2 cents!!!

You are absolutely making the wrong move. Read again: Do NOT do this program, sammiii!!!!!!

All you need to be a damn good MD applicant is a solid MCAT. Let me break this down in terms of numbers to try to convince you.

MCAT prep course (unneccessary, but whatever) - $2,000 max
MCAT exam - $200 (actually, I don't know the current cost)
Total cost- $2,200

RFUMS BMS program tuition - $35,000
Living expenses - approx. $15,000-20,000 depending on where you live
Total cost- $50,000-55,000

If you're smart enough to become a doctor, you should be smart enough to figure out that it's a better idea to improve your MCAT. What if you bomb the next MCAT? Retake it! What if you bomb the BMS Program? You'll be in deep ****.

Hi

Because I really have no chance this application year, I will be rewriting my MCATs before this program starts in August.

I was looking at the application today and was a little confused by the distance learning personal statement. Wouldn't that only apply if you were doing the women's health track? Also what track are you guys choosing?

Only the Clinical Bioanalysis track does not have the online component. You actually have to go in the lab twice a week for 3 hours. This track does NOT start until second quarter so you have a light first quarter, but a killer second quarter.

FWIW, rumor is it that HCAM track is the easiest and most people are in HCAM. Nutrition track is known to be like hell.

IMO, the tracks don't really matter much as your goal is to get into medical school. The medical courses mean a lot more. This is not to say that it is okay to pull all C's in the track courses. The admissions committee KNOW that the track courses are easy A's so getting straight C's will look pretty bad.

I was looking at the application today and was a little confused by the distance learning personal statement. Wouldn't that only apply if you were doing the women's health track? Also what track are you guys choosing?

Only the Clinical Bioanalysis track does not have the online component. You actually have to go in the lab twice a week for 3 hours. This track does NOT start until second quarter so you have a light first quarter, but a killer second quarter.

FWIW, rumor is it that HCAM track is the easiest and most people are in HCAM. Nutrition track is known to be like hell.

IMO, the tracks don't really matter much as your goal is to get into medical school. The medical courses mean a lot more. This is not to say that it is okay to pull all C's in the track courses. The admissions committee KNOW that the track courses are easy A's so getting straight C's will look pretty bad.

so how mr2rd3, how are you feeling about the program so far?
Are the classes super hard? how many hours/day do you spend studying? Has anyone in the program been accepted to CMS yet?
Have you guys interviewed?
Most important question:
Anything you wish you knew, that you now know, before starting the program?

Yo,

I was very active in this forum last summer and had a million questions. As a current BMS student and with the year almost 2/3rd through i can say that everything written about the BMS program in this forum is completely true. Check out some of my posts and the answers to my posts from last summer and that will give you a pretty good perspective on how RFUMS BMS works. There have been some slight changes this year in comparison to years past and I will enlighten you all at the end of this quarter (3 weeks from now) when i have time.

We are all currently interviewing and wont hear anything back until we finish physio which ends early April. Just read up on pages 2-5 of this forum and most of your questions will be answered. As for that one kid who came on this forum and bashed BMS, i can say that most of what he said is not true, so dont trip on that.

Good Luck with final exams. I'm looking forward to hearing the inside scoop on the program!

Pearls from a former BMS student for future students.

Bottom Line/Key to success:

Get an "A" in Physio: most important grade of the program, 14 credits if I recall. A "B" won't count you out, but an "A" will really help your case for admission. Practice tests + notes is the way to go for this class.

Go for an "A" in either MCB or Biochem...MCB is graded on T score, so it becomes a little tougher due to smaller amount of students who can get A's

Try to do well in certificate tracks...health care management was very easy

Embyro is not hard if you study in advance and don't cram last minute, so an A is attainable with work in advance

Neuro is tough, especially for those who have not had neuro in the past. Just don't drop the ball and get a C.

For those definitely set on matriculating, if you have not already, take the MCAT again if you are below 28-29 range (depending on your GPA). This seemed to be a factor for a few students who were on the cusp of getting in.

Hope this helps, I know a lot of this info has already been stated :)

Hey...

just seeking some advice...
apart from the price tag, I'm very excited about this program

I'm sending in my application next week, and was just wondering what my chances are of getting in...

I have a 3.05 cGPA, 2.97 sGPA, and 29M MCAT (not planning to retake it)
I've been out of school for 2 years, and have numerous clinical research experience (not much volunteering though)

do I have a shot of getting in?

As far as the Personal Statment is concerned, is it ok to mainly use the AMCAS, and add a little bit about why I want to do the RF program, or should I write a new statement all together

thanks for any advice... I'm so ready to just move on with my life, work extra hard, and get into Medical School, and it seems like Rosalind Franklin gives me the chance to do that without a gap year

hey there! im interested in this program but have a 2.9 and a 21 mcat :(. should i still apply? also has anyone applied and gotten in yet? thanks for your help!

Hey...

I'm sending in my application next week, and was just wondering what my chances are of getting in...

I've been out of school for 2 years, and have numerous clinical research experience (not much volunteering though)

As far as the Personal Statment is concerned, is it ok to mainly use the AMCAS, and add a little bit about why I want to do the RF program, or should I write a new statement all together

thanks for any advice... I'm so ready to just move on with my life, work extra hard, and get into Medical School, and it seems like Rosalind Franklin gives me the chance to do that without a gap year

I'd say you have a pretty good shot at getting, my cgpa is higher by my sgpa is lower and I haven't taken the MCAT yet so i'm hoping I can get in.

When do they start notifying of acceptances?....The application says Jan. but the website says march....

Hi

I have to agree with the other poster. I can't help but question your judgment if you think you need an SMP with a 3.94 GPA. If you screw up the SMP, you'll have dug quite a hole for yourself. Even if you do well in the SMP, it won't make your MCAT look any better. Take the year off and study for the MCAT, take it twice if you have to, get a 30+ and you should be a very competitive applicant for med school.

Hey...

You should have a good shot of getting in. I got in with nearly the same stats. For your personal statement you can use the AMCAS statement but address the reasons why you need an SMP, i.e. low GPA due to .... and how you plan to improve them.

Won't it hurt your application if you told med schools that "I took an entire year off to study for the MCAT" ?

I have to agree with the other poster. I can't help but question your judgment if you think you need an SMP with a 3.94 GPA. If you screw up the SMP, you'll have dug quite a hole for yourself. Even if you do well in the SMP, it won't make your MCAT look any better. Take the year off and study for the MCAT, take it twice if you have to, get a 30+ and you should be a very competitive applicant for med school.

Won't it hurt your application if you told med schools that "I took an entire year off to study for the MCAT" ?

so do research or get a job at a hospital or a doctors office or become a CNA and work in a nursing home/hospital in addition to studying for the MCAT

It never hurts to enhance your extra-curriculars, but if you have a decent amount of volunteer experience you can do anything else you want. Get a job, find an internship or take a year off because you'll be working your butt off once you get in.

Can any applicants or current BMS state their GPA/MCAT stats? I was just wondering if I had a good chance or not? Thanks!

anyone in this thread know what the deal is as far as a deposit goes after notification of acceptance, essentially is there a deposit and if so is it required to be paid after a certain amount of time to hold ones seat? thanks much

anyone in this thread know what the deal is as far as a deposit goes after notification of acceptance, essentially is there a deposit and if so is it required to be paid after a certain amount of time to hold ones seat? thanks much

If you look at previous posts....I believe that last year it was around $100 (not 100% sure) and you had about 2 weeks to reply. DOuble-chekc with administration

Anybody know for sure if you need two semesters of orgo lab to qualify for the program? I've only got one, but I have a semester of biochem.

Anybody know for sure if you need two semesters of orgo lab to qualify for the program? I've only got one, but I have a semester of biochem.

I think if you have two semesters of orgo along with a lab then you should be fine. The application says you need 8 semster hours of organic chem and I took Orgo I (3), Orgo I lab (2) and Orgo II (3). I emailed one of the admission officers and he said I should be fine. But I would check just in case!

I think if you have two semesters of orgo along with a lab then you should be fine. The application says you need 8 semster hours of organic chem and I took Orgo I (3), Orgo I lab (2) and Orgo II (3). I emailed one of the admission officers and he said I should be fine. But I would check just in case!
That's encouraging. I did send a message to double check. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey guys...has anyone received any word of acceptances/rejections?

I got an e-mail from them that I have finished the verification process and the committee is still reviewing applications.

Acceptances begin this month, hopefully! I have only been waiting since the application became available last October....

Acceptances begin this month, hopefully! I have only been waiting since the application became available last October....

Did they ever send you any e-mails or anything? On the application it says rolling admissions beginning January?

Yes, I received an email a month later (in November) saying that my application was complete and will undergo review by the admissions committee and that they will be in contact once all the materials are reviewed with the status of admission. I realize that the app says rolling admissions starting in Jan, but the website says starting in March. I believe that it will be starting soon. I have sent then 2 emails since Jan just asking on the status of my app and they just respond with a sentence or 2 saying that your app is with the committee and they will be make admissions decisions "fairly" soon. Sooooo, hopefully within the next few weeks!

I asked the admissions office when the acceptances will be sent out.

They told me the first round of acceptances have been mailed out.

So if you get one C in this program you don't have a chance of getting into CMS next year

hey I am torn b/t BU and Rosalind Franklin...I like RF b/c they have such strong ties with CMS...can you please tell me why you would have rather done another school?!?

Are you suppose to apply to Rosalind through amcas again or are you just granted an interview with the medical school without having to do the whole amcas process again.