Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just want to let all you future BMSers know that today was the first day CMS started sending out acceptance letters to people in this year's BMS class

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!! Does it seem like majority of BMS students are getting in??

Just want to let all you future BMSers know that today was the first day CMS started sending out acceptance letters to people in this year's BMS class

excellent - thank you! i hope that other members of the bms class will keep us updated on the success rate of this program and its ability to get people into med school after doing well in the smp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! Does it seem like majority of BMS students are getting in??
I only know of a few people who got in today but supposedly they are sending out acceptances throughout the rest of the week. Typically in past years they have sent acceptances to people in late March who have gotten straight As up to that point in the program and the rest hear back in May

This is a random post, as I am at a different SMP now, but I still always find myself wondering how RFU is the only SMP program I applied to that rejected me. Not even the waitlist, in my own state. This isn't a big issue now, but just wanted to know if some other people have experienced a similar conundrum with RFU BMS?

Has anyone been in accepted using their GRE score? If so, what were your stats?

Has anyone been in accepted using their GRE score? If so, what were your stats?

If nobody responds to this question you can look at last years BMS SDN feed. I do remember people getting in with GRE and they posted their scores. If your accepted with GRE, dont forget you must take the mcat in order to receive your interview to CMS.

Can someone who's in the BMS program currently or who has completed it tell me which of the five certificate concentrations is the most manageable in terms of workload? If I get accepted, I would like to have the least interference possible with the basic science curriculum. I saw some discussion earlier in the thread but there seemed to be some disagreement. Choices listed are Health Administration, Health Administration - Public Health Emphasis, Health Professions Education, and Nutrition and Women's Health. The nutrition track apparently requires a separate application process. I'd like to submit my app this week so I need to select a preference. Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. rayovac would be a great person to hear from if he/she notices this post. :p

Hey, so Im in the BMS program right now. Go for Health Administration, its by far the easiest and the option most people select. You take a total of 4 online classes and it takes me no more than 20 minutes per class per week, and if youre a slow poster it might take like 45 minutes.

Can anyone comment on popular housing options for students?? Aside from in-campus and Woodlands. Thanks

Hey, so Im in the BMS program right now. Go for Health Administration, its by far the easiest and the option most people select. You take a total of 4 online classes and it takes me no more than 20 minutes per class per week, and if youre a slow poster it might take like 45 minutes.

Thanks sir/ma'am. Can you tell me which health administration track? I have two choices, regular health administration, or health administration - public emphasis. I'll prob submit the app tomorrow.

What do you think of the program in general? Feel free to share your thoughts, I'm sure lots of us would be interested.

Thanks sir/ma'am. Can you tell me which health administration track? I have two choices, regular health administration, or health administration - public emphasis. I'll prob submit the app tomorrow.

What do you think of the program in general? Feel free to share your thoughts, I'm sure lots of us would be interested.

shablam is right do HCAM. I would suggest to do the regular one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone that has gone through BMS already can let me know about how soon they found out what their emphasis/concentration will be. I received my acceptance a month ago but haven't been contacted since...no packet of info or any information on whether or not I'll be HCAM

I was wondering if anyone that has gone through BMS already can let me know about how soon they found out what their emphasis/concentration will be. I received my acceptance a month ago but haven't been contacted since...no packet of info or any information on whether or not I'll be HCAM

You usually get what you put for your first choice.

And HCAM or HCAM-public health are the easier track. I suggest staying away from women's health, there a lot of writing and post for that from what I hear.

I got in as well. Fast turnaround - only about 3 weeks. Is student housing better or off campus housing? I assume it's mostly whatever floats your boat. Does anyone know how students generally feel about it?

I guess I might be looking for a roommate then !

I'm originally from Chicago and spent two years out in DC doing some research.

It is pretty much whatever floats your boats. Tho student housing are usually pretty good with maintenance responses and other general issues that may come up.

Thanks to all current BMS students for being so helpful. Anyone know what the health education track is like??

Also I've heard from some current students that the classes/exams are pretty fair. Anyone else want to comment on classes / exams??

Depends on your stats. What was your GPA/MCAT? Some people get off the waitlist pretty quickly. I'm from Canada as well :)

Hey I'm ~3.0 cgpa, 3.15 sgpa and 32 balanced, decent research exp.

And awesome, where did you do your undergrad? I'm at mac :)

hey guys, i am new to this site but had a quick question. I just got into BMS and am in lingo of whether or not I should attend. Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.47 (3.0, 2.99, 3.74, 4.0)
sGPA: 3.22 (2.81, 2.5, 3.6, 4.0) - all upper level classes junior and senior year
MCAT: 1st attempt 25R (10,8,7) - no idea what happened in bio
2nd attempt 25Q (9,7,9)
ECs:
Shadowing multiple doctors (over 200 hrs)
EMT (over 500 hrs)
Tutored high school minorities (2 years)
Research (2 labs, 1 summer internship, 5 total publications w/ one 2nd author) (4 years)
International Volunteering - 3 months in Africa, 2 months in Central America (mostly medical, some community work such as orphanage work etc)
A few academic organizations and club sports (no leadership roles)
Volunteer in various places such as: first responder in my police dept, hospitals, hospices, nursing homes, etc

I had 2 MD interviews, both rejections (as expected, even though I was surprised I even got 2 interviews from MD schools.

My question is what do you think I should do? I am currently studying for the MCAT (which i take in May) and I know I can go above a 30. I barely prepared my last two times (stupidest mistake of my life), but now that I don't have school to worry about I can strictly focus on that. Say I do manage to get a balanced 32+ what should I do? Should I go into BMS given that my cGPA and sGPA are both low and those really can't change (despite having my strong upward trend), or if I do get my desired MCAT score should I save the money and hope I get in next year? I really don't want to go the DO route (nothing against DOs of course). But I would much rather go into BMS and hopefully into CMS over DO.

Oh, and I am retaking my MCAT to keep my options open for next year. If I go to BMS (or even if I don't) I will be applying to CMS but would also like to apply to my state school (which was one of my interviews this past cycle) and a few others.

Any advice is appreciated!!

I have almost the exact same MCAT as yours now but with a little higher GPA in both areas. I would accept BMS just because if you do well in it, you're almost automatically guaranteed into CMS (and the deposit is only $100). Also, if you think you can get a higher MCAT, then retake it as that wouldn't hurt your chances if you chose to apply to other schools besides CMS. Win-win situation if you do well on your MCAT retake or BMS program or both.

Does anyone know if there's any movement on the waitlist/alternate list??

Hello,
Sorry to repeat this question but to any current BMS students -- any input on the HEALTH EDUCATION TRACK? JUSt trying to gauge how much work that track involves . Thank so much

Hello,
Sorry to repeat this question but to any current BMS students -- any input on the HEALTH EDUCATION TRACK? JUSt trying to gauge how much work that track involves . Thank so much

Is that a new track? I'm in the HCAM track and so far it has been cake. Unless you're really interested in health education, I'd recommend you go HCAM. Just my two cents.

How busy is the program in terms of allowing students to volunteer, research, participate in extracurricular activities?

Is HCAM considered the easiest/mostpopular of the tracks?

Can those who have been accepted share their stats? Thanks.

CGPA 3.4 cGPA 3.2 DAT aa 19, pat 22, sci 20

Sent from my HTC One X using SDN Mobile

No acceptances today?? I kind of find this hard to believe as I was anticipating acceptances either last Monday or today..

Reactions: 1 user
Why isn't the admin letting me in? I have requested to join the group twice.

Hey guys! I was just notified that I am on the waitlist and was wondering how long it took you find out that you were accepted and if you contacted anyone on what you should do?

Hey guys! I was just notified that I am on the waitlist and was wondering how long it took you find out that you were accepted and if you contacted anyone on what you should do?

I have been complete for only about 2 or 3 weeks now. I thought that acceptances were only done via snail mail so when I received the email I thought I had been waitlisted but it was an acceptance. I never had to contact anyone but I have read in previous threads that people were told over the phone that they were accepted off the waitlist when they called.

I have been complete for only about 2 or 3 weeks now. I thought that acceptances were only done via snail mail so when I received the email I thought I had been waitlisted but it was an acceptance. I never had to contact anyone but I have read in previous threads that people were told over the phone that they were accepted off the waitlist when they called.
Thanks for the reply Bean Counter! I was compete about 2-3 weeks ago as well. Do you think it would be beneficial to contact the program director Catherine Gierman-Riblon or anyone else regarding the reason for the waitlist? Do you mind sharing your stats and the extent of your extra curriculars?

Thanks for the reply Bean Counter! I was compete about 2-3 weeks ago as well. Do you think it would be beneficial to contact the program director Catherine Gierman-Riblon or anyone else regarding the reason for the waitlist? Do you mind sharing your stats and the extent of your extra curriculars?

3.0c/3.5s 35R. I do also have great EC's

Last edited:
Hey guys, first time poster...

Just wondering if its ok to use my AAMC essay for the BMS program. Or should I change it up a bit?

Also, if I send in my app this week is there still a chance of getting in?

thanks

Lanci, you can submit the AAMC essay if you must, but its probably best to change it up slightly. That being said its also important to get your app in asap so don't spend more than a few days updating the essay. Don't forget to add some words about how you think you'll be able to handle the online component of the curriculum.

Congrats on everyone who got in today! Hope to meet you all there.

I don't think there is anything that Riblon can do for you. Although she is the director of the program I don't think she is involved in the admissions process. If you're going to contact anyone it should be the admissions office if you want to ask them any specific questions on your application.

Congrats to everyone who have received an acceptance!! And for those who are waitlisted hang in there I hope good news comes to you as well.

Do they reject anyone that applies? I'm starting to think that everyone else that they rejected is put on waitlist since it seems like there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist at all..

How does the application process work once you're in the BMS program and want to go to med school there? When does it start? Do you have to go through AMCAS?

Do they reject anyone that applies? I'm starting to think that everyone else that they rejected is put on waitlist since it seems like there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist at all..

This isn't true. Right now isn't the greatest time for BMS wait list movement because medical schools don't require accepted students who have multiple acceptances to make a decision on which school they ultimately want to attend until mid April (not sure of the exact date). In other words, a lot of people who were directly accepted in to the RFU BMS program may be on multiple wait lists at other medical schools and may be accepted to medical school (for fall 2013) once the kids who have multiple acceptances make their final decisions. Don't give up hope, the wait list moves considerably during the summer all the way up to the first day of orientation.

How does the application process work once you're in the BMS program and want to go to med school there? When does it start? Do you have to go through AMCAS?

Yes. You still have to complete a primary application through AMCAS and then the CMS secondary application. This year (and years past) CMS interviewed all BMS and PMP students in January/February. After the interviews, a few acceptances are given at the end of March and the rest (I think) are given near the end of May.

First time poster here. Was just wondering if I applied to the program about 2-3 weeks ago if that was too late in the process? And for those of you that have received correspondence from CMS, how long is the turnaround time typically? Thanks for all your help.

Yes. You still have to complete a primary application through AMCAS and then the CMS secondary application. This year (and years past) CMS interviewed all BMS and PMP students in January/February. After the interviews, a few acceptances are given at the end of March and the rest (I think) are given near the end of May.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PMP?

And do you have to re submit all the rec letters/personal statement?
Were students nervous about not getting in or were they pretty confident about it?
If I start the BMS this August, how will the timing be in regards to applying, interviewing, getting in (im somewhat confused)?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PMP?

And do you have to re submit all the rec letters/personal statement?
Were students nervous about not getting in or were they pretty confident about it?
If I start the BMS this August, how will the timing be in regards to applying, interviewing, getting in (im somewhat confused)?

PMP (pre-matriculation program) is a program geared toward URM's who want to get in to medical school. (I'm not sure about the specifics of this program, but I'm sure you can find more information about it on the school website.)

The primary AMCAS application is sufficient (regarding PS, LOR's, etc.) for CMS. The secondary for CMS is also the exact same for all applicants.

The majority of the class still has not received acceptance to CMS, so as you can imagine, stress is abundant.

I'm not sure if you're planning on applying to schools outside of CMS, but if you are, I would recommend you complete all the secondaries for the other schools prior to the start of the BMS year. Unlike non BMS students, as long as you submit your primary and secondary applications for CMS on time, you are guaranteed an interview. Unfortunately, the adcom doesn't even begin looking at BMS applications until well in to March, and makes their first decisions near the end of March.

I think that the old adage holds that if you get B's in your med classes, you're a shoo in to CMS. If you get a C, you can kiss attending a medical school in the US good bye.

I think that the old adage holds that if you get B's in your med classes, you're a shoo in to CMS. If you get a C, you can kiss attending a medical school in the US good bye.

I feel the potential, and apparant certainty, that a C negates your chances for admission into CMS is the most concerning thing about the BMS program. I am still waiting to hear back from the program and somtimes I wonder if taking a D.O guaranteed admit postbac such as LECOM or VCOM is less of a gamble. To each his own I suppose.

I feel the potential, and apparant certainty, that a C negates your chances for admission into CMS is the most concerning thing about the BMS program. I am still waiting to hear back from the program and somtimes I wonder if taking a D.O guaranteed admit postbac such as LECOM or VCOM is less of a gamble. To each his own I suppose.

In my personal opinion, and this isn't directed towards anyone, but if you are putting down nearly $50k for a program that WILL get you into a US MD school provided that you perform well enough in your classes for just a single year and you end up getting a C, you probably don't deserve it. The reason why we are all in the postbacc forum is because we already blew our chances of getting into med school without taking drastic measures because we already got too many C's. People who get into med school without any postbacc work didn't get C's for four years of undergrad in the first place so they don't have to go the route that we do. If all you have to do to get into med school through this program is avoid getting any C's for only one year, I'd say that's a pretty good deal