Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

I just received my acceptance to the Women's Health track at RFU for MSBS today!! I have a couple questions...
What's up with RFU MSBS without a glide year? Should I start working on my AMCAS to submit to CMS now? My ugrad stats are pretty terrible (cGPA 3.01, sGPA lower), but my senior year was >3.6 both semesters (I decided to go to medical school junior year, figures).
Also--how does the program measure up to loyola and tufts? I strongly dislike how loyola doesn't have classes with med students....

Any help (especially with when to apply to CMS) would be helpful!
Thanks!
RFU guarantees you an interview. Yes you should do your AMCAS before classes start. Apparently your performance in the BMS program is given much greater weight in your admissions decision than other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for a response, and those on the waitlist. I'll see the rest of you in August!!! :D

Hey guys!

I just received my acceptance to the Women's Health track at RFU for MSBS today!! I have a couple questions...
What's up with RFU MSBS without a glide year? Should I start working on my AMCAS to submit to CMS now? My ugrad stats are pretty terrible (cGPA 3.01, sGPA lower), but my senior year was >3.6 both semesters (I decided to go to medical school junior year, figures).
Also--how does the program measure up to loyola and tufts? I strongly dislike how loyola doesn't have classes with med students....

Any help (especially with when to apply to CMS) would be helpful!
Thanks!
I think you start your AMCAS now but DO NOT submit yet, but do get your materials sent to AMCAS (ie, LORs, transcripts) and continue to work on your statement. I'm still finding out on how to input the SMP into AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you start your AMCAS now but DO NOT submit yet, but do get your materials sent to AMCAS (ie, LORs, transcripts) and continue to work on your statement. I'm still finding out on how to input the SMP into AMCAS.
I don't believe this is accurate. According to previous students on the Facebook grop we should ideally have both our AMCAS and our secondaries done before school starts so that we don't have to worry about them while classes are going on.

I Agree with insane.

In terms of how to list smp I think others have listed it as transcript exempt future coursework. But I only could find 2 decent threads on how to post future smp.

Sent using SDN Mobile

Any females still looking for a roommate? I prefer to go for a 2bed/2bath in the area, but open to 1 bath options. PM me if you're interested in searching together. Thanks

Can anyone else shed some light on how to post course work for the BMS program on AMCAS? I'm just going to write exactly what's listed on the RFU BMS curriculum website. Also, most of us weren't assigned tracks yet, so I guess we could just ignore writing in those classes?

Can anyone else shed some light on how to post course work for the BMS program on AMCAS? I'm just going to write exactly what's listed on the RFU BMS curriculum website. Also, most of us weren't assigned tracks yet, so I guess we could just ignore writing in those classes?

That's what I did.

if you have any questions about those, ask Tammy :) shes the secretary for the BMS department

Hello All, I'll be starting the MBS Program at RFUMS this fall. I'm trying to figure out how to enter the in process coursework for RFUMS on the AMCAS app. When trying to add a new college, RFUMS isn't listed as a college in Illinois. Did everyone select "Other (Not Listed)" and manually type it in or just select Chicago Medical School? Thanks!

I was wondering if any females in the BMS program still needed a roommate! I'm really interested in the Woodlands apartments! Please PM me or post on the FB group! :)

If I remember right, you need to just indicate that you haven't taken the classes yet. Just put that you are taking BMS in the future, and get your AMCAS materials for next fall submitted immediately. The medical schools you apply to will ask for updates during the application cycle if they are interested in you as a candidate. CMS will continually review each BMS student's transcript as grades become available.

So I got into the BMS program.... but I only applied with ONLY my GRE score which was better than my MCAT score (21). I was accepted probably because all the extracurricular stuff I did and my gpa which was a 3.8gpa undergrad. (Also because they did not see my MCAT score)

If I were to do the BMS program, manage a 3.0+GPA, and apply to CMS, would I have a chance? Or do I ultimately have to retake the MCAT? Wouldn't that mean I have to take the MCAT now to make it by the CMS deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got into the BMS program.... but I only applied with ONLY my GRE score which was better than my MCAT score (21). I was accepted probably because all the extracurricular stuff I did and my gpa which was a 3.8gpa undergrad. (Also because they did not see my MCAT score)

If I were to do the BMS program, manage a 3.0+GPA, and apply to CMS, would I have a chance? Or do I ultimately have to retake the MCAT? Wouldn't that mean I have to take the MCAT now to make it by the CMS deadline?

People with low 20's have gotten in, but there's no guarantee. It's really up to you to retake it.

Hey everyone,

I have been accepted but heres the killer...I have a low MCAT :mad:. I rushed to take the MCAT in order to get my application in by the end of May, but after receiving my results I just ended up sending some old GRE scores anyways.

My question is, is it worth attending with a low MCAT even if I were to maintain >3.0 while enrolled in the program? Basically Ive been told to not worry about the MCAT and strive for A's in order to get into CMS. Can anyone elaborate on that?

I see that I'm in a similar boat as the above post, but can anyone give more advice?

Last edited:
So I applied on the cutoff date...June 1st, but all my letters were in by April I believe. Whenever I call the office, the person who answers says it's under review...is there anyway I can find out if I've been wait listed or rejected? Has anyone else been rejected so far? Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

I received the acceptance packet today. 3.36c/3.25s/36L

Any guys out there want to go in on a 2BR/1BA or 2BR/2BA in woodlands?

Wow, you got a 36 MCAT score? I'm just curious, if you don't mind my asking, did you apply to medical schools previously? That seems like a very solid score and would get you acceptances from many places.

Wow, you got a 36 MCAT score? I'm just curious, if you don't mind my asking, did you apply to medical schools previously? That seems like a very solid score and would get you acceptances from many places.
Yeah, I applied last year but didn't take the MCAT till the end of August. The low GPAs and late application really hurt. I would like the security of at least one acceptance this time around.

Yeah, I applied last year but didn't take the MCAT till the end of August. The low GPAs and late application really hurt. I would like the security of at least one acceptance this time around.

Sorry to hear that :( I'm nervous about med schools because I'm taking the MCAT August 10th...do you think that is too late? Did you apply broadly or to a few schools only? Good luck with the BMS program. I'm sure you will do great!

Sorry to hear that :( I'm nervous about med schools because I'm taking the MCAT August 10th...do you think that is too late? Did you apply broadly or to a few schools only? Good luck with the BMS program. I'm sure you will do great!
With an August 10th MCAT date, most schools won't review your application until around mid-September. I think as long as your grades/MCAT are close to the medians for schools and all your secondaries are submitted by the time your scores are released, you will still have a good shot at getting in.

I applied to around 15 schools and ended up not being complete until the end of October at most of them. All the schools were mid-tier.

Thanks for the well wishes! Good luck with your applications!

Anyone know how do you begin applying for the Woodlands apartment from out of state?? And are they all rented out yet?

You can call then and they will tell you what's available. They will send you an application via email and you can fax it back but you have to pay I think the admin fee and the security deposit up front.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using SDN Mobile

Hey everyone, I already posted once in here. I wanted to post again. I just signed the lease on a condo in a city called Grays lake which is only 12 minutes in a car from Ros Frank. 2 Br 1 Ba, rent would only be about 550-600 and that will cover everything. I am definitely down to carpool to class and what not. I am a male and if you are interested PM me. I really want a roomate to share the rent with.

So I applied on the cutoff date...June 1st, but all my letters were in by April I believe. Whenever I call the office, the person who answers says it's under review...is there anyway I can find out if I've been wait listed or rejected? Has anyone else been rejected so far? Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the same boat. I applied pretty much on the cutoff date and when i called, they told me that its still being processed. my guess is that they're waiting for the replies from last round to come back before sending out my letters?

I'm just really worried because it starts next Month!! so little time to prepare...Did anyone get accepted this late last year?

I declined my acceptance last week, hopefully someone here gets it.

I'm in the same boat. I applied pretty much on the cutoff date and when i called, they told me that its still being processed. my guess is that they're waiting for the replies from last round to come back before sending out my letters?

I'm just really worried because it starts next Month!! so little time to prepare...Did anyone get accepted this late last year?

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I applied at the deadline, and am still waiting for a decision. I emailed them on July 2nd asking for an update, and their response was 2-3 weeks. So, hopefully this week I will get notification!

My friend last year was acceptwd during orientation week so it definitely is possible.

To all of you who have been kind enough to take the time and respond and share your experiences, thank you very much! It's comforting to know I'm not alone in the waiting process. God bless everyone and best of luck to you all!

You will need a current MCAT score on your AMCAS application in order to apply to CMS. So if your 21 was absent from your BMS application, you will need to add it in order to be considered for CMS. Some people forgot about this last year, but you must satisfy ALL requirements for CMS (not just BMS) in order to get your interview and get in. If your MCAT score is current, you'll probably be fine with a 21 so long as you get As and Bs in BMS (but there is sadly no guarantee).

Just so everyone knows, there were quite a few rejections over the summer for students who got Cs in BMS last year. So remember, it's not about just getting a 3.0; its about not getting Cs at all, and getting as many As as possible!

See you all in a few short weeks!

You will need a current MCAT score on your AMCAS application in order to apply to CMS. So if your 21 was absent from your BMS application, you will need to add it in order to be considered for CMS. Some people forgot about this last year, but you must satisfy ALL requirements for CMS (not just BMS) in order to get your interview and get in. If your MCAT score is current, you'll probably be fine with a 21 so long as you get As and Bs in BMS (but there is sadly no guarantee).

Just so everyone knows, there were quite a few rejections over the summer for students who got Cs in BMS last year. So remember, it's not about just getting a 3.0; its about not getting Cs at all, and getting as many As as possible!

See you all in a few short weeks!

Any word on the latest number of people accepted from last years class? Last I heard it was ~80.

So I've been waitlisted since march and I'm starting to believe the inevitable rejection is coming this way. Has anyone who has been waitlisted around the same time as me gotten in?

It seems they are still reviewing apps they received on the cutoff date. Im starting to doubt they will even touch the waitlist.

Sorry if ant typos. I'm doing this via phone.

Melissa said letters were mailed today, and should be receiving them in the mail in the next week. Not very hopeful as well =(

That number sounds about right. Most of the students had all B's or had mostly B's with one or two A's. From what I have heard people who had C's got the boot and didn't make it. Towards the end, some people just didn't put in enough effort and studying for Neuro requires loads of effort & patience. I know someone who didn't get in b/c he didn't take Neuro seriously. The key is to take each and every class very very seriously. This program is great but it requires hard work and persistence to get into CMS. This is an amazing opportunity for all of you to overcome whatever flaw you may have in your application keeping you out of med school. Study hard, stay out of trouble, be respectful and professional towards the faculty, staff and each other, and make sure you guys make it clear during your interview/stay at RFUMS that you LIKE TO BE THERE.

Good luck to you all :)

Any word on the latest number of people accepted from last years class? Last I heard it was ~80.

Melissa said letters were mailed today, and should be receiving them in the mail in the next week. Not very hopeful as well =(

Were you able to call or email to ask your status? or do we have to wait for the letter?

I'm so scared....@_@

Has anyone been accepted with GRE scores alone? If so, would you be willing to share your scores and your GPA? I would really appreciate it :)

Has anyone been accepted with GRE scores alone? If so, would you be willing to share your scores and your GPA? I would really appreciate it :)

So I've been waitlisted since march and I'm starting to believe the inevitable rejection is coming this way. Has anyone who has been waitlisted around the same time as me gotten in?

It seems they are still reviewing apps they received on the cutoff date. Im starting to doubt they will even touch the waitlist.

Sorry if ant typos. I'm doing this via phone.

I applied at the cutoff, and just received notification of "alternate list" this morning... It says acceptance can occur up till August 13th. Not looking good at this point....

1020 GRE
uGPA 3.3
post bac GPA 3.9 (some repeated pre-reqs)

Originally Posted by sparkles21

1020 GRE
uGPA 3.3
post bac GPA 3.9 (some repeated pre-reqs)

can anyone confirm that the certifiedprofile really costs $97.00?

Last edited:
I applied at the cutoff, and just received notification of "alternate list" this morning... It says acceptance can occur up till August 13th. Not looking good at this point....

Same here :[ :[ time is running out... since the first day of class is about 3 weeks away.

:(

Same here :[ :[ time is running out... since the first day of class is about 3 weeks away.

:(

Don't lose hope! I just received a phone call saying I was accepted off of the waitlist. I applied with my GRE score, which was average. Please have faith! They will be handing out acceptances up until orientation :D

congrats on your acceptance! what were your stats if you dont mind me asking. I'm planning on applying with a GRE as well because I won't be taking my MCAT until ~April next year after I take my prep course. thanks!

If your MCAT score is current, you'll probably be fine with a 21 so long as you get As and Bs in BMS (but there is sadly no guarantee).

I'm going to retract this statement after talking with Dr. Pullen. If you have less than a 24-25 MCAT, I'd recommend retaking it in August or over Christmas break in January (unless you have a stellar uGPA). It's not impossible to get into CMS with a 20-21 MCAT, but it is less likely. It is also unlikely you will do worse if you retake it, especially if you can take 2-3 weeks to concentrate on studying and taking practice exams. It is true that the adcom will probably overlook a 21 MCAT if you get mostly As in BMS, but the fact is that many, many BMS students get mostly Bs. If you are a B student in BMS with a 21 MCAT, the adcom may not be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. There are a few more opportunities to retake the MCAT before the adcom makes its final decision in the spring, so give it another shot! People have done this many times before, and they have been successful.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT between Aug 16th and January of 2013. I barely had time to go grocery shopping when BMS was in full swing, so I can only imagine how hard it would be to study for the MCAT during that time.

Also, I know I just mentioned this, but I'm gonna say it again. If you got accepted to BMS with GRE scores alone, you still need to submit an MCAT score to the adcom by the deadline in order to get an interview for CMS.

Best of luck :luck:

Last edited:
For those who are on the alternate list, the admissions office said they'll call the students who are offered a seat for the fall... so no need to wait and get anxious about the mail they sent out yesterday. If you don't get a phonecall, it's unlikely there's an acceptance package coming your way :(

For those who are on the alternate list, the admissions office said they'll call the students who are offered a seat for the fall... so no need to wait and get anxious about the mail they sent out yesterday. If you don't get a phonecall, it's unlikely there's an acceptance package coming your way :(

are they calling everyone today? so if you didn't get a call today, then we could assume we didn't get in?

I'm not sure if they are calling everybody TODAY... All I was told was that those that are getting an acceptance package will also be informed via phone.