Rosalind Franklin BMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They aren't in on the weekends, so I doubt it'll be up today. Don't panic though, I didn't apply till like January and got in on the first wave.

did well enough so im happy

but when i started studying for biochem and just skimmed over all the notes i was like this

1280107947006.jpg

this aint gonna be pretty...

I just lol'd all over everything

Members don't see this ad :)
so they accept applicants in batches? How many do they accept per batch and when is the first batch accepted?

I'm just curious. :)

so they accept applicants in batches? How many do they accept per batch and when is the first batch accepted?

I'm just curious. :)

No clue on either. What I meant to say was that I got accepted near the beginning when they started rolling out. I don't know if it was in set waves or just as they reviewed them.

Just get your app in as early as possible. some people get in when they apply in may, but most people i talk to applied as early as possible, i.e. january. you don't want to have to wait for seats to open up.

The application is up now...I fortunately got into medical school so I won't have to do the program! Best of luck to everyone!

Hi,

I am looking into applying to post bac programs such as Rosalind franklin, BU, and tufts. I have a 3.86 undergraduate GPA and a 32 MCAT. So i don't need to use these programs as a GPA increaser. i was wondering if med school look favorable on these programs. are they a good way to increase the apply of your med school application. if I got say a 3.7 GPA (A-) in these programs would i actually be hurting myself? thanks for any info you know or advice.

Are you looking for a program to take your pre-req courses? Because if you do a SMP with those stats then most likely medical schools will be concerned with your decision making skills than anything else.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking into applying to post bac programs such as Rosalind franklin, BU, and tufts. I have a 3.86 undergraduate GPA and a 32 MCAT. So i don't need to use these programs as a GPA increaser. i was wondering if med school look favorable on these programs. are they a good way to increase the apply of your med school application. if I got say a 3.7 GPA (A-) in these programs would i actually be hurting myself? thanks for any info you know or advice.

Come on man. With your stats you shouldn't consider doing a post bacc. Second, if you did actually matriculate to a SMP program like RFU, you would most likely hurt your chances of getting into medical school because it is extremely hard to get a 3.7 in a program like BMS, and even a 3.7 would take your GPA down. Unless you're a registered sex offender, you can get into mid-tier med schools already as long as your letters of rec and extracurrics are halfway decent. Serious inquiries only plz.

The reason I was considering a post bac/smp was because I went to a lesser known college. It was not a top 50-75 university so I thought by doing well in a post program where i took real med school classes would enforce my gpa etc.?

You don't need to be in a top university for medical schools to take your grades seriously. Unless of course you went to a school like South Harmon Institute of Technology and majored in Meditation. See if you can focus more on EC's and LORs like unbuzz suggested. However, if you still don't think your alma mater is sufficient, go take a couple post-baccalaureate courses a "big name" school and ace them. Other than that, I would say work on other aspect of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
To all the people who applied last year, what exactly are the online components of the program? In other words, I'm not exactly sure I follow their essay prompt that reads: "what makes you a successful candidate for the online components of the program?" Thanks.

To all the people who applied last year, what exactly are the online components of the program? In other words, I'm not exactly sure I follow their essay prompt that reads: "what makes you a successful candidate for the online components of the program?" Thanks.

We have to take some classes online, which basically consists of making weekly posts on a discussion board. They're really easy and take up maybe like 10 minutes a week max except for a big project that happens near the end, depending on which particular class. Basically, the hardest part of the class is just making sure you do your posts on time.

For the application essay, I just put that I function well independently and am good at sticking to schedules.

Hi,

i have a 3.6 undergrad gpa and was considering applying to a smp program like rosalin franklin, Georgetown and Tufts and was wondering if say I did not get a 4.0 rather a 3.5-3.67 in the smp would this greatly negatively affect me. I know a 3.5 isnt too bad since its a little less than an A- and that many medical students just have to get above 65percent. I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding how a medical school admission committee might view a 3.5 from a smp along with a little above 3.6 from undergrad? thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

i have a 3.6 undergrad gpa and was considering applying to a smp program like rosalin franklin, Georgetown and Tufts and was wondering if say I did not get a 4.0 rather a 3.5-3.67 in the smp would this greatly negatively affect me. I know a 3.5 isnt too bad since its a little less than an A- and that many medical students just have to get above 65percent. I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding how a medical school admission committee might view a 3.5 from a smp along with a little above 3.6 from undergrad? thanks.

It depends on the SMP. A program like Georgetown's is pretty well renowned and a 3.6+ from there will be a positive mark on your application. Rosalind Franklin's SMP, however, is not looked upon all that highly by most adcoms, from what I understand based on previous posts on this forum. The biggest draw about RFU is the high amount of unofficial 'linkage' into CMS.

We have to take some classes online, which basically consists of making weekly posts on a discussion board. They're really easy and take up maybe like 10 minutes a week max except for a big project that happens near the end, depending on which particular class. Basically, the hardest part of the class is just making sure you do your posts on time.

For the application essay, I just put that I function well independently and am good at sticking to schedules.

Sarah, one more question about the online components essay...how long was yours? thanks.

Hey guys,
I am very interested in applying to RFU BMS Program and have a cGPA of 3.45 and a sGPA of 3.0.. I took the MCAT last year and got a 24O and am retaking it in April.. what are my chances of getting in before the retake or should I wait to apply?

Thanks!!!!

Hey Science,
I replied to your inquiry on the 2013 thread.

There were a few people who missed orientation due to scheduling conflicts, so you can get out of it if you really need to. That being said I highly suggest going every day, because they basically told us everything we needed to know about handling the class load and how to make studying more productive. I think most BMSers would agree that orientation is essential.

Hey I'm looking for a roommate. PM if you are interested!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using SDN Mobile

Too Late to Apply? How big is the class going to be for this year?

Hi I am in the incoming bms class and I need to find a roommate for woodlands. I called the manager and there are several floor plans available. We can discuss the more preferable floor plan. please let me know if you are interested :)