Roommate or No Roommate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxcrystal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been accepted to pharmacy school for an out-of-state college so I do not know anybody where I am going. Can I get any advice from anyone that was in a similar situation like mine as far as finding a roommate to cut living expenses or is it better to just live on my own my first year/semester? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the experiences of some of my P1 classmates, I would suggest living on your own for the first year so that you can get to know your classmates and see who you will be more compatible with. I'm sure you don't want drama your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the experiences of some of my P1 classmates, I would suggest living on your own for the first year so that you can get to know your classmates and see who you will be more compatible with. I'm sure you don't want drama your first year.

I agree. Live on your own for a while. It's more expensive but that's what loans are for!

Live on your own unless you know some friends you trust to room with. I have already broken one lease because I could not stand living at my previous place. I still do have roomates at the moment, but I'm going solo after this summer.

I am strongly considering going solo next year, the only thing making me consider a roomate is that it would be a lot cheaper

I will be P1 next year also, and I decided to leave on my own for the first year. I know I will be paying much more money for my own apartment, but not worrying about someone else is worth it. If you don't know your roommates that well, your living situation could always turn into hell, which will influence your school performance and your psychological well-being.

I would definitely recommend living on your own. Of my three roommates (none of which I knew before starting school) I only get along well with one of them. The other two I pretty much just tolerate. I have many horror stories I can share. =)

Believe me, I can't wait until I move out in July.

I plan to live in the dorms, which will of course mean I'll have a roommate. I'm still 19, and will be a young 20 when I start in the fall. Has anyone else lived in the dorms as a professional student?

I am in this same situation, I am living in the dorms right now as an undergrad, but I want to move into one of the apartments on-campus, and I am debating whether or not to have a roomate. I just don't wanna be alone all the time, however from what I've heard about pharm school, you can always find people to study/be with if you really want. More opinions, please.

I lived by myself until I was able to find some classmates that I was compatible with. I didn't want to risk rooming with strangers, I've done that in the past and in never worked out! :laugh:

I live alone, but I have for five years. I like not having roommates. I don't have to put up with the drama of pharmacy school outside of class.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in this same situation, I am living in the dorms right now as an undergrad, but I want to move into one of the apartments on-campus, and I am debating whether or not to have a roomate. I just don't wanna be alone all the time, however from what I've heard about pharm school, you can always find people to study/be with if you really want. More opinions, please.

You'll quickly get used to living alone. Its odd at first, but at least in my case I really enjoy it.

I have LOVED living alone. Although if you're younger and have never had the college experience, I do think it's worth trying the roommate thing. I am older and had been there, done that.

Funny thing is now that I'm graduating and will actually have more money, I will have a roommate - my sister :scared:

My parents are wanting me to live with family friends that have 2 girls ages 7 and 13. They aren't planning on paying for my living expenses (I intend to take out students loans). I am thinking that is a very bad idea. First of all, my boyfriend and I live together now and have for 3 years (been dating 5 years) and when he comes to visit, it will be weird. Second, I don't think I will be able to study with 2 kids. Okay, basically I already know the answer....definately not! Is anyone is the same situation?

I prefer living by myself so that you don't have to deal with extra drama from the roomate. Even if that's your life partner, sometimes conflicts still happen. So for just a friend as your roomate, there is no way to avoid drama!
Please don't stay with other people's kids. I was in the same situation once and it was intolerable. They are kids so you can't blame them or accuse them of anything as their parents will say "They are just kids! Are you out of your mind???". So these little brats can do god-knows-what to you and your study schedule and stillg et away! Kids are kids and they are not mature like you are yet! So stay away!

no roomate! with four years of undergrand I cant wait to live on my own. Conflicting schedules, music that is just a little too loud, late loud phonecalls, obnoxious visitors, when you least expect them...

My current roomate, super nice, have a thing about leaving the door wide open at all times, and this irritates the hell out of me. I like my own privacy, but he is also entitled to whatever pleases him if it doesnt really step on my toes much. Tolerance is key but I am done with roomates.

what about if you had a room of your own, just have to share common areas??

My roommate is a friend of mine. We knew each other since freshmen. And both of us were majoring in pharmacy and now both of us made it. Indeed, in term of privacy, it's a minus. But comparing the advantage and disadvantage, certainly we help each other a lot and had great fun together.

just say no to roomates!
one of my best friends from college was my roomate first year. we almost killed each other, but once we lived in seperate places we got along very well.
living alone is great. you have your own space, your own schedule, your own food. you can study in the quiet of your own place if you want, or go out and study with friends. it's the best of both worlds.

I love having my own room but I don't think I could ever live in an entire apartment by myself. I currently have 4 other roomates and although my apartment can be a real dump (I have one REALLY messy roomate), I prefer this dump to quiet quiet and more quiet.

I lived by myself for an entire week during winter vacation because I stayed in my college town to work for a week while everyone else left for break and it was very miserable having no one around.

I love having my own room but I don't think I could ever live in an entire apartment by myself. I currently have 4 other roomates and although my apartment can be a real dump (I have one REALLY messy roomate), I prefer this dump to quiet quiet and more quiet.

I lived by myself for an entire week during winter vacation because I stayed in my college town to work for a week while everyone else left for break and it was very miserable having no one around.

The first week or two alone bothered me, but then you get used to it. Its a big change at first, but at least I learned to love it.

Well if anyone is attending Western University in the fall, I am definitely looking for a roommate.

Western University
Class of 2011

I would recommend living alone for the first year as well. Having a roomate in your first year is like meeting your girl for the first time today and ask her to move in with you the same day. We all know that that is an excellent recipe for immediate breakup. So, i propose going solo!!!

wow, i am very surprised that everyone is going with living alone, but it does make a lot of sense. through my years of undergrad, i always had a roomate. My freshmen yr I shared a room with another girl in the dorms. Suprisingly, the living situation was fine and we weren't are each other's throats or anything, but I definitely preferred the privacy of having my room own. So sophmore year and afterwards I lived in an apartment (with my own room) and 1 or more roomates. Again, everything worked out well and i loved having a roomate. I always assumed I'd get too lonely if i live by myself but I'm sure there are a lot of pluses. Since pharmacy school is going to be somewhat of a whole different experience, I think it is a good time to live alone. Like a lot of other people mentioned, its better than taking the risk of having a 'random' roommate to cut down costs.

I am going to be attending Belmont University's pharmacy school this coming fall and I'm looking for a roommate!! I am not from the Tennessee area so if there is anyone out there that got accepted into the same program and is looking for a roommate or knows someone that needs a roommate, please let me know!! thanks!

Belmont University
Class of 2012

I could live with a roommate, but only if we had different rooms and just shared a living area. I roomed with this person who snored so loudly that it kept me up for hours at night. Even when I woke him up and complained about it, it didn't help. I moved out the following semester.