ROL please advise??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pendejodo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need help here. I have 3 programs in mind which I am trying to rank. All 3 are great but I definitely like one very much. I have MGH on the top of my list. I am now trying to decide bw U mass med school and Tufts- NEMC for the 2nd and 3rd slot.. Kindly advise on these 2 progs. Close to submitting my ROL. I need this info asap.

Members don't see this ad.

I think yaah went to U Mass for med school.

I wasn't that impressed by Tufts-NEMC. Their surg path schedule doesn't make sense to me and it seems like their turnaround time can be quite long. They don't have a full time neuropathologist at the moment. I think they're very comparable to BU and in some respects BU may have an edge. I do like the neighborhood it is in. I'll have to look at my notes to give any more useful information.

yaah has visitors in town...or he would've have responded more promptly. check back soon and he shall post an answer (hopefully)

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn you're quick! Your last post in the moderators thread was only a minute ago. I think you're operating outside the normal space time continuum ;).

AndyMilonakis said:
yaah has visitors in town...or he would've have responded more promptly. check back soon and he shall post an answer (hopefully)

Come on, Andy. You can say it. yaah's FB is in the house, and he'll be an even more pleasant and even-keeled soul in the morning.

Havarti666 said:
Come on, Andy. You can say it. yaah's FB is in the house, and he'll be an even more pleasant and even-keeled soul in the morning.
actually it's his parents, at least that's what he told me on AIM.

wait....wtf, why am i saying this? i'm not yaah's agent!

Yes it is the parents.

UMass >>> Tufts/NEMC in my opinion. UMass has a decent volume, the program is hampered a bit by being spread out over two hospitals. The residents are generally pretty good, in the past few years they have had a lot of FMGs. The best part about the program is the attending staff. There are two populations - a group of older, veteran pathologists who have been there for quite some time and are experts in their fields and very calm. The other group is made up of younger folks, many who trained in Boston but seem to be happy where they are now. They are a little more intense and aggressive. But all are friendly, and most of them really like teaching, in particular when the resident is highly motivated. I did my PSF there and had a great experience. There are some things you don't see a lot of by going there (don't see tons of bone/soft tissue, don't see a ton of lung path) but this is pretty typical for most medium sized med centers. You do see lots of Gyn-onc, GI, and breast. Another great thing about the program is that the support staff is very nice and easy to get along with, which is one of the things that people often don't consider when looking at programs.

Tufts is ok - a couple of the staff at UMass actually did their residency there. From what i hear the quality of teaching isn't quite as good. Then again, I don't know a ton about it and most of what i have heard is hearsay. Any specific questions about UMass feel free to pm me or ask here. Gotta run now.