This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReadTSowell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
General thread for the Rocky Vista University Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program.

I'm a current MSBS student at RVU. I'm happy to say last year's tumultuous thread isn't relevant to potential applicants. I encourage applicants to ask questions and my classmates to share their thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

General thread for the Rocky Vista University Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program.

I'm a current MSBS student at RVU. I'm happy to say last year's tumultuous thread isn't relevant to potential applicants. I encourage applicants to ask questions and my classmates to share their thoughts.

Why do you say last year's thread isn't relevant? There were some pretty serious accusations in there lol. That thread was the main reason I wasn't considering this program. Should I?

Why do you say last year's thread isn't relevant? There were some pretty serious accusations in there lol. That thread was the main reason I wasn't considering this program. Should I?

If that thread is the only thing discouraging you, I recommend that you apply without hesitation. I understand your position, I had the same reservation. It's clear now they've either fixed all of the problems described, or they were never really an issue to begin with.

This is a very well-run program. The "new" program director (who took over last spring, I believe) has years of experience. All the instructors teach in the college of medicine. On top of that, they've been bending over backwards to help us (such as by making us feel welcome). They frequently ask for our feedback and actually make the changes requested.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am an applicant for 2018-2019 cycle for MSBS. I would like to hear about your experience in the program thus far such as course load, overall class size, and matriculation agreements to the COM. Thanks!

I would like to hear about your experience in the program thus far...

Twenty-six students were admitted (from 145 applicants). I am very happy with this class size. There's real camaraderie and everyone receives attention from the instructors. The administrators have voiced interest in doubling the class size, but everyone who's legitimately involved believes that would be a mistake.

The course load is greater than that of undergrad, overall. Just like in med school, the content isn't more difficult, but the volume has increased. You'll learn more about biomedicine in eight months than you did in the entirety of college.

This year, students who completed the fall semester with a 3.6 GPA were automatically accepted into the college of medicine.
Students who pull their cumulative GPA up to 3.6 at the program's end will be granted acceptance if there is room. In other words, they're placed at the very top of the wait list. If a seat doesn't open for them, they are guaranteed acceptance the following year.
Finally, students who have a cumulative of 3.3 at the end of the program will be given an interview during the next admission cycle.

I have plenty of good things to say about this program. If you put the work in, not only will you be accepted, but a lot of medical school will just be review! I suspect this could carry-over to your board exam performance, as well.

Reactions: 3 users

Do you mind sharing your stats that you applied to the MSBS program with?

Reactions: 1 users
What would my chances be with...
This class, the average cumulative GPA was a 3.3, while the average science GPA was a 3.2.

Of the 26 matriculants, 10 are from Colorado. The program director told me the admissions faculty tried to admit students from a variety of states. I can attest that the student body comes from all over the country.

A strong MCAT might be of particular benefit here as you won't be sidelined with MCAT preparation during the program.

Are interviews required for the MBS program? My application has been under review, and I already submitted the supplemental, but I'm still waiting. Has anybody heard anything back from them yet?

Are interviews required for the MBS program? My application has been under review, and I already submitted the supplemental, but I'm still waiting. Has anybody heard anything back from them yet?

I'm not sure but my application was verified last week but haven't heard anything yet. I am nervous because I am already prepping to move to Colorado...so I need to get into this program.

I was thinking of applying to this program? is it too late since they are on rolling admissions?

I was thinking of applying to this program? is it too late since they are on rolling admissions?
If you can afford it, and get all the stuff together than why not apply?

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many have been accepted so far?? just got verified yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard anything back yet? I submitted the supplemental application fee 10 business days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

Waitlisted... does anyone know why they ask that we send them a copy of acceptance letters we’ve received from other programs?

How long does it take to receive the supplemental after your application has been verified?
Mine got verified April 2 and received the supplemental April 6. I paid the $50 that day, so I’m just now waiting for my premed advisor to send his recommendation letter and hopefully I hear some good news from RVU soon.

Do we have to let RVU know that our application is complete so they can review our application? Mine got verified April 2 and I paid supplemental April 6. Everything is complete now but I haven’t heard anything from RVU. I’m thinking of giving them a call. Regis University already scheduled me for interview this April 30 but I’d rather get in to RVU. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts about Regis MSBS?

Do we have to let RVU know that our application is complete so they can review our application? Mine got verified April 2 and I paid supplemental April 6. Everything is complete now but I haven’t heard anything from RVU. I’m thinking of giving them a call. Regis University already scheduled me for interview this April 30 but I’d rather get in to RVU. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts about Regis MSBS?

I submitted my supplemental fee last week and my portal changed from 'Prospective Student' to 'Applicant', but I don't know if there is a further change to mark that the application is complete. Maybe Minji14 can enlighten us?

Hey ya'll,

I just got accepted at RVU MSBS today. Who else here got accepted. I am so very excited to move to Colorado and start this journey.

I also got accepted yesterday! I was just worrying earlier that my application wasn't actually complete :D

Congrats! I get my MCAT scores back 5/22, so I think they'll review my app once I give them the scores

Twenty-six students were admitted (from 145 applicants). I am very happy with this class size. There's real camaraderie and everyone receives attention from the instructors. The administrators have voiced interest in doubling the class size, but everyone who's legitimately involved believes that would be a mistake.

The course load is greater than that of undergrad, overall. Just like in med school, the content isn't more difficult, but the volume has increased. You'll learn more about biomedicine in eight months than you did in the entirety of college.

This year, students who completed the fall semester with a 3.6 GPA were automatically accepted into the college of medicine.
Students who pull their cumulative GPA up to 3.6 at the program's end will be granted acceptance if there is room. In other words, they're placed at the very top of the wait list. If a seat doesn't open for them, they are guaranteed acceptance the following year.
Finally, students who have a cumulative of 3.3 at the end of the program will be given an interview during the next admission cycle.

I have plenty of good things to say about this program. If you put the work in, not only will you be accepted, but a lot of medical school will just be review! I suspect this could carry-over to your board exam performance, as well.

Hello,

I was recently accepted to the RVU MSBS program and I'm wondering if the same stipulation of maintaining a 3.6 GPA will also guarantee acceptance for the 2018-2019 cohort? Is this something that was formally presented/stated to your class? I am just wondering because the website says that the only way to be autmatically accepted is by having the director write a summarative letter representing the collective recommendation.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does anyone know if there is a group or forum somewhere online for students who have been accepted into the MSBS program? I was accepted several weeks ago and am looking for a potential roommate (the apartments around Parker are pretty pricey).

Can you elaborate on the "Simulation experiences" with med students and stardized patients?

how would it look to be accepted to this program, not attend, but then apply during the regular DO admissions cycle?

What kind of MCAT score is this program looking for when they consider recommending someone for the medical school?

Are there any current or past RVU MSBS students that I could ask some questions about the program?

If anyone is looking for a roommate for this fall for the new MSBS class, please PM me.

Is this still the case for the current and incoming class (starting August 2019)?

If anyone is looking for a roommate for this fall for the new MSBS class, please PM me.
hey so how was your experience? is it worth going into RVU MSBS? Its alot of money and I dont know if i should go.